Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 05-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
Samurai's Slice
ESB Legend
East Side Guru

Location: Follow my blog, Boxing Legends on Facebook for the most up to date boxing news!
vCash: 163
Default Shown once again: Styles make fights.

As most know I do believe Floyd beats Pacquiao. BUT, One thing that always got on my nerves was when Floyd fans said how Pac struggled and very well could have lost to Marquez three times while Floyd schooled him once, but now everyone is shutting up about the fact that Pacquiao beat down Cotto and stopped him late, While Floyd struggled to a 116-112 UD in a war, not a beatdown.

And before you say it, yes I know Floyd fought him at 154 and Pacquiao did at 140-147 catchweight. That effected his power and stamina, but he was also younger at the time so you got an argument there too. Bottom line is styles make fights, I believe we can't use past fights of Mayweathers or Pacquiao's to determine the winner of a fight between them, we gotta think genuine skill. Pacquiao's power and ring movement, southpaw stance ect. Mayweathers boxing skill, slickness and speed, Overall I pick Floyd but not for statistical reasons like many do.

What's your opinion on the fight?
Samurai's Slice is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
MVC
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 681
Default Re: Shown once again: Styles make fights.

How did he struggle to a 116-112 UD. It was 117-111 on 2 cards and 118-110 on the other. FAIL.
MVC is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
BigReg
Broad Street Bully
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai's Slice View Post
As most know I do believe Floyd beats Pacquiao. BUT, One thing that always got on my nerves was when Floyd fans said how Pac struggled and very well could have lost to Marquez three times while Floyd schooled him once, but now everyone is shutting up about the fact that Pacquiao beat down Cotto and stopped him late, While Floyd struggled to a 116-112 UD in a war, not a beatdown.

And before you say it, yes I know Floyd fought him at 154 and Pacquiao did at 140-147 catchweight. That effected his power and stamina, but he was also younger at the time so you got an argument there too. Bottom line is styles make fights, I believe we can't use past fights of Mayweathers or Pacquiao's to determine the winner of a fight between them, we gotta think genuine skill. Pacquiao's power and ring movement, southpaw stance ect. Mayweathers boxing skill, slickness and speed, Overall I pick Floyd but not for statistical reasons like many do.

What's your opinion on the fight?
A couple of things. First off, you're right, styles do make fights. You have to take that into consideration. However, stylistically, Marquez is a counterpuncher. He's a counterpuncher that adjusts well, and out thinks his opponent. In many ways, he has a similar stlye to Mayweather. So if Pacquiao is struggling with Marquez's counterpunching stlye, it's easy to see how many would predict he would have all sorts of issues with Mayweather. Concerning Cotto, he doesn't fight like Pacquiao. They have two vastly different styles. Cotto is stronger than Pacquiao, is a more consistent body puncher, and has a better jab. With that being said, Pacquiao has other attributes that would really challenge Mayweather.

Onto the fight. I don't think Mayweather struggled. I thought it was a competitive fight, and I thought Cotto really pushed him. However, Mayweather still performed well and won 9 or 10 rounds IMO.
BigReg is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
Exactabox
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 375

Love the thread!
Why Pacquiao has the style to beat Floyd is his accuracy and ability to change trajectory mid air. Floyd loves laying on the ropes, his defense is catered to a traditional offense attacking. Pacquio's stamina easily matches Floyds making the fight one of the best in a long time.

There is a reason fans are so loyal to each fighter and maybe both groups are right and we have 2 of the best ever in the same era.
Exactabox is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
SymphonyOHorror

vCash:

I don't need to listen to Flomos or Pactards to determine who I think would win in a showdown between Pacquiao and Mayweather. Mayweather tells me what I need to know.

For me, and I am probably the only person here, it's a 50/50 fight.

Floyd has genuine concerns, concerns he has never shown with any other boxers, when it comes to Manny Pacquiao. When you're in boxing, and you start talking about your health being more important than a fight, and you only direct it at one guy in the entire sport, then it leads me to believe that you don't really believe in your own chances.

Pacquiao hasn't knocked anyone out in 4 fights, so clearly his power is down in the higher weights. Marquez largely neutralized Pacquiao's offense with movement and positioning... you're telling me the GREATEST DEFENSIVE FIGHTER in the game won't just step in and destroy a smaller guy who's wild and lacking in boxing skills for a 100 million dollar pay day?
Old 05-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
kimonerz
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1145

Stylistcally speaking cotto will give mayweather more trouble than pacman. Cotto has one of the best jabs in the game atm. Also thats basically the only thing cotto landed. Pacman hardly has a jab
kimonerz is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
Luckyboy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

great post i cant see why people struggle with this concept. Styles do make fights,
ali struggles with frazier, frazier gets knocked out by foreman, foreman beats ali... oh wait.

p.s im not saying mayweather beats pac or the other way round. i just couldnt call this fight if it happens.
Luckyboy is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
Boxing Fanatic
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

pacs all out pressure would be too much for floyd. it is non stop. floyd would have to fight all 12 rounds to keep up with him. it would be a close fight. would not be surprised if floyd or pac wins. i think pac would win though based on the fact floyd will have to double his work rate to win the fight, which is something he is not accustomed to doing, since he is a defensive fighter 1st
Boxing Fanatic is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
Dorfmeister
Champion
East Side Guru

I pick Manny easily, not Money, Manny Pacquiao and not b'cause i like him more than Floyd or the other way around. Pac is not from this world the way he stetches himself and Floyd is tryin to do the same even though with a lot of layoffs in between. You can also add that Pac fough margo at 154 weighin less than 147 and he broke Margo's eye bone, one if not the one reason the rematch Cotto-Margo was stopped. Then, you said it well that he just busted Miguel and even tho he had close decisions against JMM and Floyd had a shutout win, you also gat to consider that JMM had to go up to 142 while Floyd was at a comfortable 147. Man, there are a lot of things to it. Floyd is exceptionally and fundamentally sound but Pac is so gifted, you have to go back in time to the SRLs and the Durans at LW and the SRRs. I believe Pac's offense keeps Floyd's defense not able to put rounds in the bag.
Dorfmeister is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
Samurai's Slice
ESB Legend
East Side Guru

Location: Follow my blog, Boxing Legends on Facebook for the most up to date boxing news!
vCash: 163

I believe judging by the Cotto fight though Mayweather wouldn't dominate Pac like some say because of Pac-Marquez. Pacquiao would move around the ring, Something I have been pissed that he hasn't done more lately, Land accurate hard shots, and overall leave Mayweather on the ropes trying to counter.

The question is, will Mayweather be able to land off the ropes like he could verses Cotto? Pacquiao does move, Mayweather will just use body movement to dodge Pacquiao, but again Pac is more accurate then Hatton, Cotto ect, will Mayweather be able to dodge all the shots? Will Pacquiao be able to barrage him on the ropes and land some shots? Floyd will surely try to counter, He might be able to keep Pac off of him with them shots.

So many variables on this fight, I pick Mayweather SD 12 or close UD.
Samurai's Slice is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
Dorfmeister
Champion
East Side Guru

The first question that you gat to ask yourself and dig deep in the media to get an answer according to your own judgement is who is avoiding who? Is it Arum or is it Mayweather cause we know that coming to this one self-confidence and commitment is vastly important, nothing else is more important I would say. Cotto knew the best he could do is what he did so he's sayin that he won, That is not the point here. Is Pacquiao afraid of submitting to tests in order to produce the biggest fight since Duran-Leonard I in Montreal? Is Mayweather talking constantly about PEDs and catchweights or not? This is the bottom line or else I am with Atlas, no matter who is the fault, there is never gonna be a fight cause they are not in their twenties, they are in their thirties!
Dorfmeister is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum