Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 05-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
Juxhin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 95
Default Smart reply required regarding southpaw mentality

Hey guys, im an orthodox fighter (naturally right handed) but recently found out how comfortable i feel as a southpaw sometimes. After noticing this i decided to dedicate some time working on my southpaw stance (countless hours of shadowboxing to get the feel to all the punches and synchronise with footwork but wasn't hard at all) after shadowboxing i moved it up to bag, at first my straight would be VERY weak but then tried a few stuff out (i think its cause i was used to quick, less power jabs with that hand) and now managed to get everything nice and smooth. I also used it quite a bit in sparring and actually worked some miracles for me. My coach is a professional fighter and his last 2 fights were vs southpaws and since im the Boxing wiz guy in the team we discuss about fight strategies alot. Something he spoke about was 'keep a southpaw inside your foot is hard especially if he changes angles alot' .. then it crossed to my mind and said to myself "Hey, you learnt how to southpaw physically but got no strategy with it" ..so i want to ask what do southpaws usually do to take advantage over orthodox fighters? Also, if i spar/fight vs a southpaw should i change to southpaw for the whole fight or it wouldn't be more beneficial then just staying orthodox? I understand it requires experience and i have alot of time to learn (16 years old) but its something im interested in reading and experimenting with. If it doesn't work, ill let it off and say i tried. If it does work, i got an extra ace in my hand.

Thanks in advance for all the replies. Sorry for the very long thread but I think its interesting to look at the mental side of the sport every now and then (im a brain fighter).
Juxhin is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
pichuchu
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: Smart reply required regarding southpaw mentality

Who gives a **** if your a southpaw or right handed? I hate it when people but emphasis on it. Southpaws do not have any advantage a right handed fighter doesnt except that they are a bit less common and people worry about it and get confused.. Believe it or not but if your a southpaw who has never sparred another one and are not used to southpaws you will be confused aswell Best punch against a southpaw is the right hand, best punch for a southpaw against an othodox is the straight left. And so on same principles apply
If you face a southpaw and he has you figured out and is edging you out, try going southpaw to see if that will confuse him. IF your ****ing his shit up in your normal stance why change it up?

I'm half asleep at the moment so sorry if it doesnt make sence and seems like a ramble
pichuchu is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
Juxhin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Thanks pichuchu for the reply. I know what you mean and thats why i said im right handed but still feel comfortable as a southpaw. The best punch against a southpaw as a southpaw is the right and best against an orthodox as a southpaw is the right was some useful information that i honestly didnt know of. Obviously same principles apply..

Sometimes its bad to take a risk and see how you go just by switching southpaw and see how things go but ill learn that from experience but obviously if i got him set and trapped as an orthodox i wouldn't bother changing. My favourite punch as a southpaw is the right hook and as an orthodox is the left hook.

As i said, im a brain fighter. I got a shitload of speed but i dont have KO power and im quite defensive most of times so finding out if going southpaw is worth can add ALOT of options for me.
Juxhin is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
Pugsley
Fat Bastard
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Brain? Okay you want the intellectual side of things, then I'm a Shorter Southpaw who is used to facing taller opponents. Yes I can still out jab them for a number of reasons, not because I am right hand dominant, but that usual piece of advice about stepping outside of their foot in this case to manufacture some kind of advantage is still correct. But there is an exception that will make life harder for them: I put my lead foot outside of theirs but still keep my head INSIDE their left, and send the right jab under/diagonally/around or inside their lead hand. The last option is probably the most effective and sneaky shot because it gets the chin with ease.
ERm, and cross guard also seems to create some kind of dyslexia against the opponent, Ideally they say you should keep your lead hand up and never down against an opposite stancer, but nobody says your left arm cant reach across your own shoulder to pat down their left jab so you can 'dig' or step in with a lead, allowing you to bore into through the mid line. Besides your elbow is now wrapped around your head, so they dont have room to throw a cross (your typical nightmare), and their right hook is going to have bad results compare the positioning and you'll see why. In all technicality its a southpaw's Archie Moore.
That's my amateur advice since strat is always interesting to analyze. Let me know if you try those out and tell me how it goes.
Pugsley is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
Juxhin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley View Post
Brain? Okay you want the intellectual side of things, then I'm a Shorter Southpaw who is used to facing taller opponents. Yes I can still out jab them for a number of reasons, not because I am right hand dominant, but that usual piece of advice about stepping outside of their foot in this case to manufacture some kind of advantage is still correct. But there is an exception that will make life harder for them: I put my lead foot outside of theirs but still keep my head INSIDE their left, and send the right jab under/diagonally/around or inside their lead hand. The last option is probably the most effective and sneaky shot because it gets the chin with ease.
ERm, and cross guard also seems to create some kind of dyslexia against the opponent, Ideally they say you should keep your lead hand up and never down against an opposite stancer, but nobody says your left arm cant reach across your own shoulder to pat down their left jab so you can 'dig' or step in with a lead, allowing you to bore into through the mid line. Besides your elbow is now wrapped around your head, so they dont have room to throw a cross (your typical nightmare), and their right hook is going to have bad results compare the positioning and you'll see why. In all technicality its a southpaw's Archie Moore.
That's my amateur advice since strat is always interesting to analyze. Let me know if you try those out and tell me how it goes.
The exact post I was looking for! Im 1.70m and 63-64Kg so i also get taller fighters vs me, do you change your angle once you throw a straight or you stay in the same position? Also, what are your favorite shots to throw vs a southpaw and vs an orthodox? I'll test this in sparring as soon as i can, looking forward for that. Thanks alot for the post.
Juxhin is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
StillWill
Dr. Eisenfaust
ESB Addict

vCash: 174

better to be great at one stance than just okay at two
StillWill is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
Juxhin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillWill View Post
better to be great at one stance than just okay at two
But its even better to be great at 2 stances than one, and I am capable of doing that.
Juxhin is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
StillWill
Dr. Eisenfaust
ESB Addict

vCash: 174

right
StillWill is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2012, 02:04 AM   #9
Un0rthodox

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxhin View Post
But its even better to be great at 2 stances than one, and I am capable of doing that.
Un0rthodox is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2012, 04:51 AM   #10
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Its all to do with the Eyes.
scrap is online now  Top
Old 05-07-2012, 04:57 AM   #11
Juxhin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Hmm, mind telling me exactly what you mean
Juxhin is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2012, 06:04 AM   #12
boxon123
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichuchu View Post
Who gives a **** if your a southpaw or right handed? I hate it when people but emphasis on it. Southpaws do not have any advantage a right handed fighter doesnt except that they are a bit less common and people worry about it and get confused.. Believe it or not but if your a southpaw who has never sparred another one and are not used to southpaws you will be confused aswell Best punch against a southpaw is the right hand, best punch for a southpaw against an othodox is the straight left. And so on same principles apply
If you face a southpaw and he has you figured out and is edging you out, try going southpaw to see if that will confuse him. IF your ****ing his shit up in your normal stance why change it up?

I'm half asleep at the moment so sorry if it doesnt make sence and seems like a ramble
You have no idea!
boxon123 is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2012, 06:09 AM   #13
Juxhin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxon123 View Post
You have no idea!
Thats why i enjoy having quality sparring partners, both orthodox and southpaw, experience is a HUGE factor
Juxhin is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #14
lepinthehood
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
And the ears.
lepinthehood is offline  Top