Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 04-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
freddy-wak
M O D E R A T O R
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Someone on facebook asked me for my cotto vs may prediction....

so i thought i'd share it here since i rarely let my serious side come out here anymore (toooo many idiots)

First of all, I dont think Mayweather's gonna blow cotto out, or even stop him. At 154, cotto looks so complete it's scary. But, he is facing the best of the best and I do think Mayweather will win a 8-4 type of decision, but my boy Cotto will give him hell. It isn't gonna be easy for Floyd to cruise, Cotto's just to versatile for that. Cotto will be game throughout the whole fight IMO, but will come up a little short when duty calls. If cotto can keep that jab in Floyds face, and work the body (instead of aiming at the face like 98% of floyds opponents have, the 2% being castillo) when Floyd gets in the shoulder roll position, then he can do some serious damage and maybe even win the fight (wishful thinking haha, i've been wanting Cotto vs May since 140lbs). Cotto cannot afford to lose focus and allow himself to get hit while he's swinging. The reason is that quick punches sometimes hurt more than hard punches, and that'll be critical for someone like Cotto who has an ok, not great chin. Bro, if Cotto can remain calm and try to outbox Floyd, I think it's very possible that he can win. People forget that Cotto was also and amateur star, and olympic standout. He has a lot of ko's cause he can crack, but he is by no means a brawler like many think. Now, my experience tells me to side with the more consistent of the two, and that my friend is Mayweather. Cottos heart to date has been his worst enemy, and I think that Floyd has the ring generalship and mentality to bring that out of Cotto. Mayweather is playing it cool by "respecting" Cotto right now, but I think that's a gameplan. We all know when cotto gets worked up during the press tours etc etc (margo 2, and mayorga) he uses that as a time to soak in all the BS, and come fight night he's prepared and experienced with his opponents mind games. Floyd uses mind games in and outta the ring, but in this particular fight he's chosen to stay quiet and respect him so that come fight night, he will break Cotto down mentally in the ring since it'll be almost impossible to do it physically........my prediction is Floyd UD 116-112
freddy-wak is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121
Default Re: Someone on facebook asked me for my cotto vs may prediction....

Fair assessment there Freddy.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
BigReg
Broad Street Bully
East Side VIP

I'm expecting a tough, well fought battle between two top level fighters. Both guys will push eachother and bring out the best in eachother.
BigReg is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
freddy-wak
M O D E R A T O R
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigReg View Post
I'm expecting a tough, well fought battle between two top level fighters. Both guys will push eachother and bring out the best in eachother.

I aint gonna lie, kinda scary the way floyd was pushing mosley and even vic back at times.

Cottos tough, but he is a small dude.
freddy-wak is online now  Top
Old 04-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
Norbix
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
At 154, cotto looks so complete it's scary.
Kudos for recognizing that fact.
Norbix is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
Xerant
Gotta Hate negociations!
ESB Addict

vCash: 165

Second half of the fight will be very hard for cotto. He needs to step on it early. Once Floyd got all the lil things figured out and the stamina difference kicks in its GG Cotto. If Cotto is to win a UD he needs to be relentless while hes fresh and hurt or slow down Floyd to the body. Head hunting with floyd dont work so good.Floyd fan here but a Cotto win would be amazing for boxing.
Xerant is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
NeckBreaknAiken
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 700

Cotto has never been the most conditioned fighter. He will have trouble winning anything past Round 8. Not only will stamina be an issue, but Floyd's adjustments will really kick in.

I see him winning 3 of the first 8 Rounds and then getting swept rather comfortably in 9-12.
NeckBreaknAiken is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
compukiller
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

I fully expect Floyd to give Cotto a severe beating. He is a horrible style matchup for Cotto, and the speed difference will be apparent from the opening bell.
compukiller is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #9
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

Good write-up. I'm expecting a competitive and really nice technical fight early on with Mayweather pulling away past the half-way point.
JMP is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #10
blackbolt396
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Speed kills!
blackbolt396 is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
Xerant
Gotta Hate negociations!
ESB Addict

vCash: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbolt396 View Post
Speed kills!
It does but while Cotto is fresh hes got pretty good timing.
Xerant is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #12
FilipMNE
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 461

Cotto will win 3 rounds!
FilipMNE is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #13
Leon
The Artful Dodger
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipMNE View Post
Cotto will win 3 rounds!
That's how many Oscar won, and he's a better boxer
Leon is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #14
ecdrm15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1220

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy-wak View Post
so i thought i'd share it here since i rarely let my serious side come out here anymore (toooo many idiots)

First of all, I dont think Mayweather's gonna blow cotto out, or even stop him. At 154, cotto looks so complete it's scary. But, he is facing the best of the best and I do think Mayweather will win a 8-4 type of decision, but my boy Cotto will give him hell. It isn't gonna be easy for Floyd to cruise, Cotto's just to versatile for that. Cotto will be game throughout the whole fight IMO, but will come up a little short when duty calls. If cotto can keep that jab in Floyds face, and work the body (instead of aiming at the face like 98% of floyds opponents have, the 2% being castillo) when Floyd gets in the shoulder roll position, then he can do some serious damage and maybe even win the fight (wishful thinking haha, i've been wanting Cotto vs May since 140lbs). Cotto cannot afford to lose focus and allow himself to get hit while he's swinging. The reason is that quick punches sometimes hurt more than hard punches, and that'll be critical for someone like Cotto who has an ok, not great chin. Bro, if Cotto can remain calm and try to outbox Floyd, I think it's very possible that he can win. People forget that Cotto was also and amateur star, and olympic standout. He has a lot of ko's cause he can crack, but he is by no means a brawler like many think. Now, my experience tells me to side with the more consistent of the two, and that my friend is Mayweather. Cottos heart to date has been his worst enemy, and I think that Floyd has the ring generalship and mentality to bring that out of Cotto. Mayweather is playing it cool by "respecting" Cotto right now, but I think that's a gameplan. We all know when cotto gets worked up during the press tours etc etc (margo 2, and mayorga) he uses that as a time to soak in all the BS, and come fight night he's prepared and experienced with his opponents mind games. Floyd uses mind games in and outta the ring, but in this particular fight he's chosen to stay quiet and respect him so that come fight night, he will break Cotto down mentally in the ring since it'll be almost impossible to do it physically........my prediction is Floyd UD 116-112

Not sure Cotto can outbox Floyd. Id say intelligent pressure but not constant. Good post though.
ecdrm15 is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #15
Prince.
24/7 365
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

interesting
Prince. is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum