Old 05-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
LongJab
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Hear Rate Monitor Conditioning

I found this to be a great read:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I know heart rate monitors have been discussed on here, and most trainers approve. I have one and I did the MAF test. I found I was no where close to the 7 min mile @ MAF (which mine was 149).

Question is this, do you think that's a good example of a "well developed" cardiovascular system? The reason I say this is that I thought I was fairly fit myself.
LongJab is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
Max Power
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Hear Rate Monitor Conditioning

Hmmmm. Might try this.

Not sure it means much. I remember doing something similar in High School. Despite being the fittest and best runner in the class, I didn't do much good at the test as my heart rate was naturally high. The teacher, who was monitoring the heart rates, kept telling me to slow down as It was too high. I felt fine tho. Could've gone on at the same pace for 10-15 km without much trouble.
Max Power is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
Uncle Roger
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1877

all this heart rate and "MAF" talk is a bunch of bullshit
Uncle Roger is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
TVLPC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongJab View Post
Question is this, do you think that's a good example of a "well developed" cardiovascular system? The reason I say this is that I thought I was fairly fit myself.
I get the rationale, but I think that 7 minutes may be a bit too low of a time to determine a good cardiovascular system. I would like to know how he came at the number 7 minutes. ie. What kind of research did he do to say this is a good number.

As far as what Max Power is talking about, the coach may not have even considered that you may have a much higher anaerobic threshold than others, and 165 bpm may feel great to you, because your anaerobic threshold is 172. Whereas others AT may be 168 or so. This is a largely genetically predetermined number that is relatively unchanging.

Joel Jamieson at 8weeksout.com or Lyle McDonald(don't remember his website) both have a very good understanding and easy to explain way of conveying the idea of energy systems and specifically the aerobic energy system.
TVLPC is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVLPC View Post
I get the rationale, but I think that 7 minutes may be a bit too low of a time to determine a good cardiovascular system. I would like to know how he came at the number 7 minutes. ie. What kind of research did he do to say this is a good number.

As far as what Max Power is talking about, the coach may not have even considered that you may have a much higher anaerobic threshold than others, and 165 bpm may feel great to you, because your anaerobic threshold is 172. Whereas others AT may be 168 or so. This is a largely genetically predetermined number that is relatively unchanging.

Joel Jamieson at 8weeksout.com or Lyle McDonald(don't remember his website) both have a very good understanding and easy to explain way of conveying the idea of energy systems and specifically the aerobic energy system.
Anaerobic threshold is more changeable than VO2max is. This MAF stuff is nonsense, try the coopers test (12 minute) for a fitness test that athletes actually use.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
TVLPC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Anaerobic threshold is more changeable than VO2max is. This MAF stuff is nonsense, try the coopers test (12 minute) for a fitness test that athletes actually use.
Good call "dealt with," absolutely about the Cooper Test. In Joel Jamieson's book called Ultimate MMA Conditioning(very practical for any combat athlete, not just MMA) he describes a modified Coopers Test that he uses. While AT may be more changeable than VO2 max, it is still largely a very stagnate number. The idea is to obviously increase work output at threshold, as opposed to attempting to increase the actual number AT number.

As a side question, why does everyone look to TNation for answers on conditioning, not strength, but conditioning? While I am not an expert, I feel I have a decent understanding on conditioning aspects and energy systems as they work in athletics. I have read two articles posted now from forum members, and both were very weak.
TVLPC is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
Fredd
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVLPC View Post

Joel Jamieson at 8weeksout.com or Lyle McDonald(don't remember his website)
Lyle McDonalds website is [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] .
He sure posts some great reads.
Fredd is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing