Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 05-08-2012, 04:37 AM   #91
Bajingo
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1479
Default Re: Khan bout in jeopardy

This is an interesting read and to me is a logical explanation, I just can't believe Lamont of all people would knowingly cheat.

Quote:
The boxing world was hit with some shattering news on Monday when it was reported that IBF/WBA junior welterweight champion Lamont Peterson has tested positive for synthetic testosterone ahead of his May 19th rematch with Amir Khan, set to take place at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The news, as originally reported by Gabriel Montoya at MaxBoxing.com, is shocking given Peterson’s standup image and the Khan rematch is now in jeopardy. Peterson upset Khan last December in a terrific brawl over twelve fierce rounds and there was a lot of buzz heading into their second go-round.

So surprising is it to hear Peterson’s name connected to a banned substance, that some are quick to stand up for the fighter, including strength and conditioning coach James 'DJ' Montanocordoba, who worked with Lamont briefly prior to his December 2009 challenge of Timothy Bradley’s WBO junior welterweight belt.

Speaking on the issue, Montanocordoba, who now works with WBA junior featherweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux, offered up his opinion.

“Sometimes there are people who come into boxing and they know how to do conditioning and they know nutrition, and sometimes these boxers trust people and sometimes even the person who give it to them, it not aware of the damage it can do,” stated Montanocordoba.

Montanocordoba feels that Peterson’s nature as a person may have backfired on him in this particular case.

“I know Lamont and Lamont as a fighter, as a person, he opens up to you and lets you do your job,” Montanocordoba continued. “He’s a very trusting person. Lamont is not going to jeopardize his career. He’s not going to go and try that sh*t. Honestly, I think it's the type of thing that sometimes people aren’t aware of things. I never believe he would deliberately do something that way. I don’t believe one of his people are going to do something deliberately.”

And despite spending just ten days in camp with Peterson in late 2009, Montanocordoba never suspected any kind of wrongdoing taking place within his team.

“When I camp with Lamont for Timothy Bradley, I was called by the Top Rank people and the Top Rank people talked to Lamont’s trainer,” said Montanocordoba. “But, I even knew them before but when I flew to Vegas and it was a good experience. I came up with a program and nobody stood in my way. Every single person in that camp worked with me. I just did a program and he was a having a little difficulty making the weight. In the short period of time that we worked, we were able to make the weight and he was able to go twelve rounds.”

Regardless of how emphatic Montanocordoba or others are about Peterson’s intentions, the reality is that his reputation is now at stake because of the recent findings.

Expect more in the coming days as the story unfolds.

Last edited by Bajingo; 05-08-2012 at 05:18 AM.
Bajingo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2012, 04:47 AM   #92
pathmanc1986
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemax View Post
The news reports are saying synthetic....if thats the case there really are no mitigating circumstances.

in that case hes going down. its one slap in the face after another in following this sport!
pathmanc1986 is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 05:05 AM   #93
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.

I don't really see it as bad news. I mean I wish the sport was clean and it sucks that it isn't but I'd rather a cheat was caught than not.
Boro chris is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 05:05 AM   #94
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Absolutely gutted about this. More so for Peterson. I still don't believe he would do this. There's gotta' be some sort of explanation.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 05:07 AM   #95
pathmanc1986
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Absolutely gutted about this. More so for Peterson. I still don't believe he would do this. There's gotta' be some sort of explanation.

money and pressure make people do stranger things than this. I know what you are saying though, its pretty dissapointing
pathmanc1986 is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 05:12 AM   #96
Bozzie

vCash: 500

so is the fight definitely off?
Bozzie is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 05:17 AM   #97
Bajingo
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozzie View Post
so is the fight definitely off?
Unless they can prove without doubt that he isn't on something then it's got to be off.
Bajingo is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 05:17 AM   #98
Anaboilc lion
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Synthetic basically mean roids - and not extra natural testosterone.

So all this talk of wait 4 t/e ratios is worthless

I think its WADA who caught him - they the ones pac prefers do the testing
Anaboilc lion is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 05:17 AM   #99
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathmanc1986 View Post
money and pressure make people do stranger things than this. I know what you are saying though, its pretty dissapointing
I get what you mean. But, he was the one who insisted on extra testing, so I find it strange that he would then try and use PEDs - even if money and pressure had something to do with it. He's already beaten Khan and knows he has his number, so why risk all of that due to pressure that, in my opinion, won't have been any more than what it was for the first fight?

I think I see some truth in Bajingo's article. Lamont's a warm, stand-up guy. I think he's let someone into camp - trusting them - and they've inadvertently been giving him illegal substances. If that's the case, I feel so sorry for him.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #100
perspicacity
Raising The Bar
ESB Addict

vCash: 185000

**** off, hopefully the fight somehow goes ahead and this is a false reading.
perspicacity is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #101
roe

vCash:

Old 05-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #102
raymann
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1331

am i right in thinking that you take the drugs during the training period so you can train harder and then come off them in the run up to a fight but still benefit from the extra training?

i work in the surf industry and there are strong rumors of HGH and all sorts being taken as an aid. its a sport that people always said steroids wouldnt help as the skill is the defining characteristic.

this is of course total shite and higher levels of fitness bring massive advantages in competition and in training. i was talking to an ex euro fringe world level pro and i asked him if he would have taken anything and he said, 100% absolutely.

he said firstly because you would suspect everyone else is, secondly because theres too much money at stake and thirdly because if you do it right you dont get caught. hes perceived as a 'good guy'.

i dont see how any of this differs to boxing. dont even get me started about the laughable transformation in rugby players.
raymann is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 05:33 AM   #103
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
I get what you mean. But, he was the one who insisted on extra testing, so I find it strange that he would then try and use PEDs - even if money and pressure had something to do with it. He's already beaten Khan and knows he has his number, so why risk all of that due to pressure that, in my opinion, won't have been any more than what it was for the first fight?

I think I see some truth in Bajingo's article. Lamont's a warm, stand-up guy. I think he's let someone into camp - trusting them - and they've inadvertently been giving him illegal substances. If that's the case, I feel so sorry for him.
Truth of the matter is we don't know what Peterson is like, we don't know what his motivations or drivers are.
icemax is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 05:33 AM   #104
im sparticus
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 621

[quote=
im sparticus is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 05:35 AM   #105
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemax View Post
Truth of the matter is we don't know what Peterson is like, we don't know what his motivations or drivers are.
True. My perception of him is only by what I see of him in interviews and stuff.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum