Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 05-08-2012, 01:07 AM   #1
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default USA Today scored fight for Cotto (vs PBF)

USA Today usually correctly scores a fight...did anyone
disagree with USA?

Was there a "fix" on?

Mayweather tops Cotto for junior middleweight title

LAS VEGAS -- Floyd Mayweather Jr. earned a unanimous decision over Miguel Cotto to claim the WBA junior middleweight title Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. The three official judges scored the fight, 117-111, 117-111 and 118-110 for Mayweather.While Cotto applied intense pressure through most of the 12 rounds, Mayweather was busier and sharper according to the final PunchStat numbers. Mayweather threw 687 total punches, landing 179 while Cotto threw 506, connecting on 105. Mayweather also fared better in power shots, firing 382 and landing 128. Cotto unleashed 329 but only was credited with connecting on 75.

Soon after the fight, Mayweather expressed a desire to fight Manny Pacquiao in the fall. Mayweather, however, begins a jail term June 1 as a result of domestic violence charges. He could remain in jail for up to 87 days.

Below is a round-by-round recap. USA TODAY Sports scored it 115-113 for Cotto.

ROUND 12: Cotto shoves Mayweather into the ropes. Mayweather attacks. Cotto comes back. Don't know if the judges will score it like me. Cotto again in the corner, lands a flurry. Mayweather landing big shots late in Floyd Mayweather gets a unanimous decision to win the WBA junior middleweight title for Miguel Cotto.the round. Another combo by Mayweather lands. the crowd is standing. It's over, and the fighters hug. Mayweather 10-9 in the final round. But I have Cotto winning 115-113. However, Harold Lederman has it 117-111 for Mayweather.

ROUND 11: Hard right by Floyd. Both fighters still looking fairly fresh. Left by Cotto lands. Left hook by Cotto and a left-right combination by Cotto. Floyd holds on. Cotto staying inside. They trade big shots in the corner. Mayweather connects on several shots late. Again, Mayweather steals the round late, 10-9 (106-103 Cotto).

ROUND 10: Cotto comes out dancing. Cotto the busier fighter. Left by Cotto lands. May right glances off Cotto's shoulder. Cotto ends the round with a left uppercut that lands hard on Floyd's jaw. Cotto, 10-9 (97-93).

ROUND 9: Crowd is into it. Time for Floyd to wake up. He's running out of time. Floyd lands a couple, but Cotto comes back with a combination. Uppercut by Mayweather. Mayweather doesn't seem to have an answer for Cotto work rate. Mayweather connects on several punches at the end to steal the round. Mayweather, 10-9 (87-84 for Cotto).

ROUND 8: Close fight. Strong left by Mayweather. Cotto answers with two left and gets him on the ropes, alternately hitting head-body. Cotto staying inside. Good exchange as Mayweather lands twice. Cotto again gets him on the rope and pounds him as the crowd goes crazy. Mayweather saying he's not hurt, but Cotto is gathering strength. This is Mayweather's toughest fight of his career. Cotto, 10-9 (78-74).

ROUND 7: Crowd chants for Cotto. This is Mayweather's toughest fight in a long time. Cotto blocks a couple of Maywether punches. Cotto continues to score. Cotto again blocks several punches. Cotto ends the round with a counter left after blocking more Mayweather shots. Cotto, 10-9 (68-65 for Cotto).

ROUND 6: The left side of Cotto's face is red and slightly swelling while Mayweather is bleeding from the nose. Both fightrers standing toe to toe, as Mayweather bleeds from the nose, a rarity fore him. Quick left by Cotto. Cotto not giving Mayweather the openings he needs. Cotto, 10-9 (58-56 for Cotto).

ROUND 5: Mayweather still looks fresh. Cotto gets him in the corner again and unloads. Mayweather throws a roundhouse right. Cotto trying to fight on the inside, but Mayweather's speed too much. Cotto again gets Mayweather on the ropes. Again he unloads, and they're connecting to Mayweather's head. Cotto comes back strong to take the round 10-9 (48-47 for Cotto).

ROUND 4: Mayweather is superbly conditioned. Two rights land for Mayweather. And another. Cotto wide open to Mayweather's rights. And they're landing hard. Mayweather landing at will now. Great exchange in the corner. Both land big shots. Stiff uppercut by Mayweather. A strong round for Mayweather, 10-9 (38-3.

ROUND 3: Cotto goes to the body early. Hard right by Mayweather. Again Cotto gets him on the rope and unloads. Then scores another three-punch combination. Counter right by Mayweather. Cotto the more active fighter. A close round. Cotto, 10-9 (29-28 for Cotto).

ROUND 2: Hard right by Mayweather. A little wrestling match ensues as Cotto picks him up off the ground. Another right by Mayweather. Flurry by Cotto in the corner, and another one. two left uppercuts by Mayweather. Cotto gets him on the ropes and lands several punches in a combination. Cotto, 10-9 (19-19).

ROUND 1: Little engagement early. Mayweather lands an uppercut; Cotto trying to fight inside. Lands a flurry, but Mayweather counters with an overhand right. Mayweather 10-9.
The fight has begun. Stay here for round-by-round updates.

UPDATE: Miguel Cotto has entered the ring. Michael Buffer has begun the introductions, which include a salute to legendary boxing writer and historian Bert Sugar, who died March 25.
Floyd Mayweather, Jr. is on his way to the ring, accompanied by ****** Bieber (who else?), as he is set to challenge Miguel Cotto for the WBA junior middleweight title.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
nastynas
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: USA Today scored fight for Cotto (vs PBF)

Yeah somebody disagreed with that score. Namely- EVERYONE.
nastynas is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
PrinceN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

no Floyd won 10 rounds / thread
PrinceN is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 01:09 AM   #4
Boxing Fanatic
P4P King
East Side VIP

dude is worst than rafael
Boxing Fanatic is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 01:11 AM   #5
Divi253
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 9062

Another score claiming Cotto won round 2.. Glad I looked at that first. I disagree.
Divi253 is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 01:12 AM   #6
Jr Middleweight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I can see how he gave cotto some rounds, but as close as it was, Floyd definitely won.
Jr Middleweight is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #7
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceN View Post
no Floyd won 10 rounds / thread
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #8
Normen Bates
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I didn't even know USA Today scored fights, now, suddenly, they have Floyd Mayweather losing. That's like finding out that TMZ scored Mosey-Alvarez for Mosey.
Normen Bates is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 01:17 AM   #9
Cellz831
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 327

damn, even hardcore Pactards didnt score it for Cotto.
Cellz831 is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 01:18 AM   #10
eko718
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Credibility lost. I watched the fight 4 times and the most rounds I could see Cotto conceivably having won was 4. IMO, he won 2 rounds.
eko718 is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 01:19 AM   #11
caneman
100% AllNatural Xylocaine
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellz831 View Post
damn, even hardcore Pactards didnt score it for Cotto.
I see my thread affected your day that much.

caneman is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 01:19 AM   #12
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Jones was babbling about PBF would be crushed by Khan....then magically Peterson gets charges of testing Positive For Banned Substance.

Maybe PBF and Peterson will fight in an out of shape, over the weight bout in jail, with the winner fighting Khan when one of them gets out of the Big House.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #13
eko718
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhhorn71 View Post
Jones was babbling about PBF would be crushed by Khan....then magically Peterson gets charges of Peterson Tested Positive For Banned Substance.

Maybe PBF and Peterson will fight in an out of shape, over the weight bout in jail, with the winner fighting Khan when one of them gets out of the Big House.
Does Jones hate on Floyd or is this guy serious? Asinine comment...
eko718 is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 01:22 AM   #14
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divi253 View Post
Another score claiming Cotto won round 2.. Glad I looked at that first. I disagree.
I scored that round for Floyd, but the bodywork made it close IMO.

The first 3 in general were not as clear cut as people make them seem.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 01:25 AM   #15
Cellz831
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 327

Quote:
Originally Posted by caneman View Post
I see my thread affected your day that much.

wtf are u talkin about? what do your shit threads have to do with my comment about pactards?

why dont u go do some "research"
Cellz831 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum