Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 05-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
Longcount
boxing
ESB Addict

vCash: 1034
Default Haye vs Chisora: Boxing Industry Fallout

If the BBBofC was to strip licenses from those participating in the Haye vs Chisora promotion, what do you anticipate the knock-on effect for British boxing would be?

Here's the scenario - they take away Bruce Baker's license. The knock-on effect might be the the smaller promoters who are members of the PBPA would probably stage future promotions under the auspices of the Luxembourg or Austrian federations. That includes Miranda Carter, Robert Waterman, Jack Bishop, Greg Steene, Derek Roche, Keith Mayo, Mark Bateson, Steve Goodwin and Carl Greaves.

Then what happens when other promoters realise that they can stage shows in the UK without having to have a bond with the BBBofC? They can surrender their promoter's licenses and get their bond money back (between 15k and 25k usually) then proceed with a Luxembourg or Austrian license.

Do you expect promoters to start jumping ship? Is a schism in British boxing inevitable?

What will happen to the boxing press? Boxing News have very strong ties with the BBBofC (they even do the annual awards dinner with them) but you might have noticed their branding on BoxNation recently. BoxNation are obviously the channel promoting the Haye fight.

I really hope that all of this can be resolved as it could be very damaging for the sport.
Longcount is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
roe

vCash:
Default Re: Haye vs Chisora: Boxing Industry Fallout

They've got no chance of legally taking away anyone's license just for taking part in this. It's no different from 2 foreign boxers fighting over here, it has **** all to do with the board. I don't really think there's much need for anyone else to "jump ship", this is a pretty unique situation. The board might be ****ed because they won't make any scratch out of it but that's there problem.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by roe View Post
They've got no chance of legally taking away anyone's license just for taking part in this. It's no different from 2 foreign boxers fighting over here, it has **** all to do with the board.

Agreed mate.

As much as the BBBC might not approve, there are no laws or rules being broken here.
Michael300 is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
Longcount
boxing
ESB Addict

Quote:
They've got no chance of legally taking away anyone's license just for taking part in this. It's no different from 2 foreign boxers fighting over here, it has **** all to do with the board.
Yes, but the BBBofC is recognised by the department for the Secretary of State for sport as the 'preeminent organisation within their field'. I wonder if there might be some higher level political intervention?
Old 05-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
cheekyvid
Detroit, I shall return.
ESB Addict

vCash: 4289

From what Frank is saying in interviews, he's giving the impression he wants the BBBC to move forward the appeal, give The Chisel his licence and fight under the BBBC. Could he be using the LBF as leverage to force the BBBC to give The Chisel his licence back early?(They would eventually anyway).

Of course the BBBC can't really do that now as it will be blatantly obvious they are only doing it for the money and protecting their own interests. I want to see how many news organisations such as the Beeb actually to any research into who the LBF actually are and don't take their 1922 spiel.

I think that the further fracturing of the sport is an awful thing. Not saying the BBBC are always right but they do a good job on the whole.
cheekyvid is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
Longcount
boxing
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyvid View Post
I think that the further fracturing of the sport is an awful thing. Not saying the BBBC are always right but they do a good job on the whole.
I am a supporter. They do a great job of protecting the interests of the sport.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
Bajingo
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1479

Quote:
They've got no chance of legally taking away anyone's license just for taking part in this. It's no different from 2 foreign boxers fighting over here, it has **** all to do with the board. I don't really think there's much need for anyone else to "jump ship", this is a pretty unique situation. The board might be ****ed because they won't make any scratch out of it but that's there problem.
Do they need a reason though? A boxer, trainer or promoter being granted a license is a privilege not a right, although they'd be stupid to ban ***** for instance, as then every singe promoter would withdraw their licenses and use Luxembourg instead.
Bajingo is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
fatcity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1221

Should the BBBC be governed by the State,then certainly the State could intervene and disalow boxing,which appears to be under their exclusive jurisdiction.
Should the State decide that this event being held in England is illegal,then the fight will not happen.
That is the power the Government has and always shall have.This is far from a done deal,in my opinion.
fatcity is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Location: Vicente Carrillo Fuentes Organization HQ, Home of Team Mexico
vCash: 75

been wondering this myself, surely the Board will hold a bit of a grudge over this and may be reluctant to put ***** fighters in elimators for the british title (am i on the right lines here) and then what if ***** sets his own sort of british title up, then it'll be like having 2 brit champs and then we all know where it goes from here
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
Jimjom
Contender
ESB Senior Member

i think te ramifications would be minimal, if anything it just the board will be more accountable to promoters who could take their business elsewhere, worse case would be we get a situation when they are no beter than the WBC etc giving certain promoters fighters a leg-up for fear of losing that promoters business
Jimjom is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
Jimjom
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP_1985 View Post
been wondering this myself, surely the Board will hold a bit of a grudge over this and may be reluctant to put ***** fighters in elimators for the british title (am i on the right lines here) and then what if ***** sets his own sort of british title up, then it'll be like having 2 brit champs and then we all know where it goes from here
im of a similar opinion as to what might happen
Jimjom is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #12
Bajingo
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1479

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcity View Post
Should the BBBC be governed by the State,then certainly the State could intervene and disalow boxing,which appears to be under their exclusive jurisdiction.
Should the State decide that this event being held in England is illegal,then the fight will not happen.
That is the power the Government has and always shall have.This is far from a done deal,in my opinion.
There's nothing illegal about it though, it's EU laws which Sauerland have used to stage fights in Germany before.
Bajingo is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #13
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Frank ****** could take them to court, and they will get ****ed over. Who are they..? A bunch of smug ****ers..? Michael Watson ****ed them over, and so will Frank ******.
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #14
roe

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longcount View Post
Yes, but the BBBofC is recognised by the department for the Secretary of State for sport as the 'preeminent organisation within their field'. I wonder if there might be some higher level political intervention?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajingo View Post
Do they need a reason though? A boxer, trainer or promoter being granted a license is a privilege not a right, although they'd be stupid to ban ***** for instance, as then every singe promoter would withdraw their licenses and use Luxembourg instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcity View Post
Fair points, I guess there are still one or two issues left here. I just don't really see it concerning anyone else (trainers/promoters etc). The repercussions for anyone involved in boxing to really want to dig further into this would be too dangerous IMO.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #15
flatulent_bob
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 498

I think its a sabre rattling tactic by Frank.

The BBBC will back down, and move the appeal dishing out what will be akin to a suspended sentence.
Yes its obviously a money related decision but that would be forgotten pretty soon, and they would have seen off the challenge.
This challenge is only a real threat for a fight of this hype.
flatulent_bob is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum