rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Haye vs Chisora: Boxing Industry Fallout

Quote:
Originally Posted by twicken View Post
This is not good for British Boxing.

What this amounts to is a challenge on the authority of the BBBofC. The question is who would you prefer to run British boxing? I would take the BBBofC over ****** (or another promoter) any day.

Whether you agree with how BBBofC managed this process or not the point is that the precendent is now set that if a fighter or promoter disagrees with a ruling they can effectively ignore it.

What happens when that is over someone's health re. Danny Williams continuing to fight?

What we have seen here is a dangerous precendent and I am appalled that the justification that comes from ****** and seasoned journalists (and fans on this site) is that it's a fight that people want to see and (like we should care) will give a great opportunity to the winner of the fighter.

The BBBofC wont die in one day it will be over a long period of time and something like this will be a major contributing factor. Our sport doesnt need this and I am sad that the majority dont seem to realise or care.

British boxing run by the BBBofC, despite it's flaws, is better than being run by promoters.
I agree, a huge (supposedly) fight between 2 British fighters NOT sanctioned by the BBBofC is not good.

Moves like this will never encourage me towards Boxnation and I was on the turn! (yes I know my 10 a month will be sadly missed and make a huge difference!)
rampant is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #32
Longcount
boxing
ESB Addict

vCash: 1034

I am not going to give a name but there is already one ex-fighter who is making moves to set up a rival board. I hope for the sake of the sport it doesn't happen.
Longcount is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #33
twicken

I am a subscriber to Boxnation and it is seriously making me think about leaving. I hate the idea that by paying my subscription I am at best condoning this behaviour and, at worse, enabling them to conduct themselves like this.
twicken is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #34
DanielJFiasco
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 565

Quote:
This is not good for British Boxing.

What this amounts to is a challenge on the authority of the BBBofC. The question is who would you prefer to run British boxing? I would take the BBBofC over ****** (or another promoter) any day.

Whether you agree with how BBBofC managed this process or not the point is that the precendent is now set that if a fighter or promoter disagrees with a ruling they can effectively ignore it.

What happens when that is over someone's health re. Danny Williams continuing to fight?

What we have seen here is a dangerous precendent and I am appalled that the justification that comes from ****** and seasoned journalists (and fans on this site) is that it's a fight that people want to see and (like we should care) will give a great opportunity to the winner of the fighter.

The BBBofC wont die in one day it will be over a long period of time and something like this will be a major contributing factor. Our sport doesnt need this and I am sad that the majority dont seem to realise or care.

British boxing run by the BBBofC, despite it's flaws, is better than being run by promoters.
I agree wholeheartedly that it's terrible for the sport, but the Board MUST have known that EU restriction of trade laws would play a big part in them stopping Chisora from fighting or punishing him with a ban. They must have known that this is a business, just like every pro fighter always reminds us. Even people on ESB were saying at the time that they will just get a license elsewhere.

If they had banned Del for 6 months it would have satisfied the papers & the public, and he probably wouldn't have looked elsewhere. The ridiculous "indefinite" time period on the revocation of his license caused this.
DanielJFiasco is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #35
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

From reading Boxing Monthly on how many fans used to watch the big fights compared to now, the gap is massive over a relatively short period of time.

If that is to continue Boxing will be a very niche sport with very little on TV and that's the way I see it going, boxing is not dead but its dying a slow death!
rampant is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #36
twicken

I agree that the indefinite ban and the general conduct of the BBBofC in and around the Chisora fight was very poor and unhelpful.

Nevertheless, my point stands that this is bad for our sport and I suspect the repercussions of this will be felt long into the future. At the highest level we are now without governance in our sport and that makes us unique in major sports.
twicken is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #37
DanielJFiasco
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 565

Quote:
I agree that the indefinite ban and the general conduct of the BBBofC in and around the Chisora fight was very poor and unhelpful.

Nevertheless, my point stands that this is bad for our sport and I suspect the repercussions of this will be felt long into the future. At the highest level we are now without governance in our sport and that makes us unique in major sports.
A unified World governing body with little to no financial interest in the sport would make boxing great again IMO. A FIFA, or IAAF type body that had standardised sanctioning fees, ringside medical requirements, and ranking systems that couldn't be bought off. Regard for the sport long term, instead of just in taking peoples money short term.

It's unlikely to happen, but we can all dream.
DanielJFiasco is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #38
twicken

I agree wholeheartedly with that but you are right it wont happen and it seems that we have just lost the British version of such a body which makes it less likely.
twicken is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #39
Webzcas
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

The BBBoC have brought this upon themselves IMO. This is a not a good move by ******, but the BBBoC ineptitude in dealing with the Munich brawl and cowtowing to our two faced press, leads us to where we are today.

As for the fight. Bring it on. Just wish it was under the BBBoC and not Luxemburg.
Webzcas is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #40
JIM KELLY
Bullshyt Mr Han Man!
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longcount View Post
I am not going to give a name but there is already one ex-fighter who is making moves to set up a rival board. I hope for the sake of the sport it doesn't happen.
sounds like a Mr Hatton.
JIM KELLY is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #41
Longcount
boxing
ESB Addict

vCash: 1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM KELLY View Post
sounds like a Mr Hatton.
It's not. There is hews coming from the Hatton camp soon though.
Longcount is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #42
chatty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1419

Lets say this goes ahead under the Luxemburg ruling. The BBBofc resist in going back on their word and as a repercussion take a disliking to Hare Homes promotion effectively pushing them out.

What effects would this have on Hare Home.

His upcoming fighters such as Gavin, Saunders x2, Buglioni, Fielding, Heffron, johnson etc could be frozen out of fighting for domestic honours.

Hare Home/Boxnation etc will have to hire a whole new team of officials on short notice, pay for all the medical standbys etc.

Not that it matters now but should Boxnation fail then the BBBofc may try and advise sky against Hare homes stable (not that they need more excuses) and favour hearns even more.

It's a risky strategy in the long run from Hare Home who looks like he is trying to take control of the power in British boxing with his new channel and moving in line with new governing boards. it could really come back to bite him on the ****.
chatty is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #43
Chinny
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Jane Couch?
Chinny is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #44
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Channel 5?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #45
ashedward
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinny View Post
Jane Couch?
Did she ever take a gender test,i can`t stand the *****