Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 05-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #46
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Default Re: Haye vs Chisora: Boxing Industry Fallout

The BBBoC is horribly old-fashioned and does little to improve the sport. It could deal with a lot of the shit decisions if it took the hard road, yet refuses to.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #47
I Shot JR
Belt holder
ESB Addict

What happens if Chisora or Haye pulls a stunt at the weigh in like in Munich (which seems likely if they aren't kept apart)? Does the Luxembourg board have teeth? What are their sanctions?
I Shot JR is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #48
RF22
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longcount View Post
I am not going to give a name but there is already one ex-fighter who is making moves to set up a rival board. I hope for the sake of the sport it doesn't happen.
Jane Couch
RF22 is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #49
Spearmint Rhino
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Jane Couch is probably too obvious a candidate.

She's basically been at loggerheads with the board from day dot, if she was going to do something surely it would have happened by now.

The board isn't fit for purpose, like DFT said, the changes that need to be made can easily be implemented, albeit by making some difficult decisions.

For instance, the fees for officials are paid for by promoters - now there's a conflict of interest if ever there was one. Your loyalty as a typical individual is to your employer, the person who pays your wages. Go figure.

Of course the club is too cosy for them all to want to make the changes, as realistically they'd all be out.

I don't want to see a situation like there is in darts, but the board is a joke and needs reforming urgently in order to have any credibility.
Spearmint Rhino is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #50
richard mossley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1022

Well I am really pleased with what has happened. The Haye Chisora santctioning fee will mean that Luxembourg can finally afford a Boxing Ring for its people. If we have a rematch they may even afford a gym for it to go in.

What happens when Special Needs Chisora does something stupid, as he will inevitably do, at the weigh in?

Will Luxembourg have the bottle to fine Chisora?
richard mossley is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #51
macho_grande
"I'll never get over"
ESB Addict

vCash: 1534

Someone please educate me & correct me if I'm wrong.

But it seems to me like the BBBC can't do **** all. *Is this not symptomatic of the problem with the governing of boxing.

If a football club decided to go against the wishes/rules of FIFA, the PL or UEFA, they'd be kicked out of the game.

It seems to me like the BBBC can stop boxers fighting for domestic titles, & refuse to sanction bouts, but in the long term, it doesn't account to much.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
macho_grande is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #52
DanielJFiasco
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by macho_grande View Post

But it seems to me like the BBBC can't do **** all. *Is this not symptomatic of the problem with the governing of boxing.

If a football club decided to go against the wishes/rules of FIFA, the PL or UEFA, they'd be kicked out of the game.

It seems to me like the BBBC can stop boxers fighting for domestic titles, & refuse to sanction bouts, but in the long term, it doesn't account to much.

Unfortunately you are about right.
DanielJFiasco is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #53
macedadon
Journeyman

lets hope there's no chance of getting a referee from the bbbofc in case of a premature stoppage, which we definitely don't need in this fight.
macedadon is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2012, 03:30 AM   #54
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roe View Post
They've got no chance of legally taking away anyone's license just for taking part in this. It's no different from 2 foreign boxers fighting over here, it has **** all to do with the board.
"Legally" doesn't come in to it.
The BBBofC licenses who it wants. They have every right to grant or withdraw their own licenses.
And if their licensed fighters (and managers/promoters) participate IN SUPPORT of a main event featuring a boxer who is (rightly, IMO) considered "unfit" for professional boxing at the moment .... that's a good reason to withdraw some more licenses.

Of course, all those fighters could legally get licenses from somewhere else (Luxembourg), or fight unlicensed.
But the BBBofC have every right to blacklist them from their own sanctioned events.

And, frankly, the BBBofC will be exposed as toothless authority with NO BALLS if they do not make such a stand.

Yeah, the ramifications in british boxing politics are high.
Legend X is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2012, 03:39 AM   #55
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by macho_grande View Post

They can't stop the event.
But they can withdraw their own licenses from anyone involved.

You are right, they cannot stop boxers fighting under different licenses, different governing bodies, OR fighting 'unlicensed'.
Unlicensed boxing is not illegal.

The board of control isn't perfect but it's always be given tremendous prestige and support from mainstream promoters, and just about everyone in the game. It's standards have been high and the respect given it has possibly saved British boxing from the anarchy of competing sanctioning bodies as we see on the world scene.
This open challenge to it could change all that.
Legend X is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2012, 03:45 AM   #56
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longcount View Post
I am not going to give a name but there is already one ex-fighter who is making moves to set up a rival board. I hope for the sake of the sport it doesn't happen.
If this Haye-Chisora fight goes ahead successfully with no problems, it is inevitable that the BBBofC will be relegated to just another 'sanctioning body'.

If the biggest fight in the UK happens without BBBofC approval - and downright DISapproval - there's no way the board can recover from that.
Every young boxer is the land will know that licenses are available elsewhere. Everyone with a gripe against the board will have the confidence to circumvent them.
Splinter groups and rival bodies are inevitable now.

It's actually remarkable that the BBBofC's monopoly in prestige has lasted this long.
Legend X is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2012, 04:26 AM   #57
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Thanks Legend, good explanations there! It certainly doesnt seem good but may be interesting to see what happens next.
rampant is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #58
DanielJFiasco
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by macedadon View Post
lets hope there's no chance of getting a referee from the bbbofc in case of a premature stoppage, which we definitely don't need in this fight.
Who knows what a Luxembourgian stoppage is like? They strike me as quite peaceful people.
DanielJFiasco is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #59
wrimc
Champion
East Side Guru

The only way that the BBBC are able to hold a real monopoly of the governing of boxing in this country would be if the government appointed it as the official body for the sport and no other body for boxing in britain would be recognised.
wrimc is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum