Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 05-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
Philly-Tough
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Thoughts on Magmed Abdusalamov

What are the forums thoughts on this heavyweights potential? I've never seen him, but there's plenty of footage on youtube. What are people's impressions of him? He looks in good shape.
Philly-Tough is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
Philly-Tough
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Thoughts on Magmed Abdusalamov

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0RZsgPv2Qs&feature=plcp[/ame]

I don't like his wandering left hand, lazily out there. Won't be good as he moves up the ranks imo. Interesting to know he fought David Price as a amateur. will be interesting to compare there pro career trajectories.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
m8te
Oh you ain't know?
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

he's clumsy as hell and his technique is pretty much amateur, but he hits so ridiculously hard and he's an all out aggressor, something all too rare in today's heavyweight division. His career is worth following. I'm a fan more or less.
m8te is offline  Top
Old 05-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
Philly-Tough
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8te View Post
he's clumsy as hell and his technique is pretty much amateur, but he hits so ridiculously hard and he's an all out aggressor, something all too rare in today's heavyweight division. His career is worth following. I'm a fan more or less.

Agreed from his last fight against Petaway. Petaway clearly has skills and based on that KO (and 13 other inside 3 rounds) sppeaks of natural power. Very raw power. He fights like a amateur but swings with a lot of force. I'd like to see him put his shots together better. I like his straight left to the body though that was nice.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
m8te
Oh you ain't know?
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Tough View Post
Agreed from his last fight against Petaway. Petaway clearly has skills and based on that KO (and 13 other inside 3 rounds) sppeaks of natural power. Very raw power. He fights like a amateur but swings with a lot of force. I'd like to see him put his shots together better. I like his straight left to the body though that was nice.
yeah he needs someone to straighten out his technique while still retaining his aggression. I cant wait to see him get to the point where he can challenge fringe heavyweight contenders like monte barrett and travis walker.
m8te is offline  Top
Old 05-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
chitownfightfan
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Mago seems to have gotten seriously out of shape from his am days. But he's getting in better shape each fight lately.

His power is MASSIVE. His chin looks very solid.

I think he's got great potential, moreso than Price. IMO, a prospect MUST have an iron chin vs these soft opposition types if Im gonna call him a future contender. Price's chin is wet toilet paper compared to Magos, and if they fought without head protection we'd see an entirely different outcome.

Like Szpilka......Mago's early pro career defense looks porous and a liability. But unlike Szpilka he has showed he can walk right through his opponents best shots and finish them in brutal fashion. Szpilkas got all the power of Mago, similar defensive liabilities, but doesn't have the chin to take it to the next level.

Price has by far the best defense of the 3, similar power of the 3, but like Szpilka, a soft beard.
Wilder is showing similar progress as Price, but also seems to have a soft beard.

Magos potential is up there with the likes of Jennings and Mitchells cuz he seems to have the chin to take it to the next level.
chitownfightfan is online now  Top
Old 05-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 05-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
m8te
Oh you ain't know?
East Side Guru

the way mago finished pettaway was harsh. he absolutely assaulted him.
m8te is offline  Top
Old 05-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
Boxing Fanatic
P4P King
East Side VIP

has power, but, no technique or defense
Boxing Fanatic is offline  Top
Old 05-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
dwighttsharpe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Fuggin cave man.
dwighttsharpe is offline  Top
Old 05-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
Philly-Tough
Contender
ESB Senior Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4NfzboxT0A&feature=related[/ame]

Man this guy 8 in a row? Didn't expect him to look like that.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #12
Philly-Tough
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownfightfan View Post
Mago seems to have gotten seriously out of shape from his am days. But he's getting in better shape each fight lately.

I think he's got great potential, moreso than Price. IMO, a prospect MUST have an iron chin vs these soft opposition types if Im gonna call him a future contender. Price's chin is wet toilet paper compared to Magos, and if they fought without head protection we'd see an entirely different outcome.

Like Szpilka......Mago's early pro career defense looks porous and a liability. But unlike Szpilka he has showed he can walk right through his opponents best shots and finish them in brutal fashion. Szpilkas got all the power of Mago, similar defensive liabilities, but doesn't have the chin to take it to the next level.

Price has by far the best defense of the 3, similar power of the 3, but like Szpilka, a soft beard.
Wilder is showing similar progress as Price, but also seems to have a soft beard.

Magos potential is up there with the likes of Jennings and Mitchells cuz he seems to have the chin to take it to the next level.
What fight did he show a great chin in?
Old 05-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #13
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

Szpilka got bullrushed and fell on by a 300+ lb guy. That was no indication of a his chin, let it go.

Mago is unpolished but most are underselling him. He's a bit better than Mitchell imo.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 05-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #14
rocky1
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1397

Quote:

What?

I think he has very little potential, other than a good chin and good power what does he have?

Slow foot work
Slow punches
A wide open defence
Poor technique
Terrible balance
Low punch variety
Low ring IQ
He doesn't cut the ring off he just seems to follow his opponents round and try and thump them till they get tired.

Price does have a suspect chin but I would bet he would KO Mago if they fought again in the pro's.
Didn't he beat him something like 20-0 in the ams?
rocky1 is offline  Top
Old 05-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #15
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 10000

Powerful bum. No potential to improve, though some people are deluding themselves.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum