cippi is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #17
On The Money
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Thoughts on Magmed Abdusalamov

Maybe not a slick technician but an exciting prospect who you just know would fight anybody. A pity he's not fighting again for three months.
On The Money is offline  Top
Old 05-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #18
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 10000

Quote:
Originally Posted by On The Money View Post
Maybe not a slick technician but an exciting prospect who you just know would fight anybody. A pity he's not fighting again for three months.
Exciting?????????????????????????????????????

Have you only seen HL of him with the moments he's scoring knockouts edited together?

He's a heavyweight Arthur Abraham.

As with AA, the last two seconds are exciting, the KO punch itself landing.

Everything leading up to that,
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 05-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #19
Cachibatches
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

He is going to be in the David Tua, Tony Galento, Rocky Marciano mode: a brutal puncher with a solid chin who knows nothing about scientific boxing.
Cachibatches is offline  Top
Old 05-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #20
On The Money
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cachibatches View Post
He is going to be in the David Tua, Tony Galento, Rocky Marciano mode: a brutal puncher with a solid chin who knows nothing about scientific boxing.

he needs to step up in class to be in that company. I think he will be a contender down the line. Anybody that knocks people out like that is potential box office.
On The Money is offline  Top
Old 05-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #21
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cachibatches View Post
He doesn't belong in the same breath as ANY of them.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #22
HamburgBuam
Contender
ESB Senior Member

He can be a star. I have the feeling, that Abdusalamov will be a very big name in the next few years.
HamburgBuam is offline  Top
Old 05-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #23
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
He's a heavyweight Arthur Abraham.
That's not true at all. He's considerably easier to hit for one thing He's also showing really good progress in cornering opponents.

Quote:
Everything leading up to that,
Well it depends. If you tend to regard granite-chinned fighters with prohibitive power who are easy to hit but only know a come-forward style as dull, he's . If you like that sort of thing, you probably believe he's going to be in a couple of interesting fights before he's done.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 05-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #24
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Of course not, he's a prospect.

Your outright dismissal of him is interesting to me - brutal knockout puncher, good punch resistance, comes to fight - at the bottom of a potential learning curve which you believe he is incapable of climbing even a single notch - what's the big problem with him as you see it?
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 05-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #25
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

If there's no speed, AND no defense, AND no ring IQ, AND not much punch variety or creative combination wrangling, AND not much technical perfection in the execution of any one honed signature shot - I trend toward nonplussed.

Any one or a couple of those things, fine. All of them getting X marks?...eh. No thanks.

Power and chin alone don't stir my juices, if there's literally nothing else.

I've seen you comment on having spied some positives in his footwork a few times...in my couple of glimpses they haven't stood out to me. From my vantage he seems just a plod-and-prod cookie cutter, not one of those Joe Louis sneaky fellas who's got slowish feet but places them incredibly well. Can you recommend some instances of him using the ring effectively?
Old 05-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #26
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
AND no defense
I'd dispute this, and I think he's generally improving in this area. He has a decent technical guard. This is probably what you mean by his being "a heavyweight Arthur Abraham". Well Abraham's guard took some time to unpick at MW. It's going to be tougher to unpick in an inferior HW division.

I've also seen him slip individual shots. My worry is that he does this by a) going straight back b) persistently ducking to the same side in the same way, which is obviously going to get him into trouble when he moves up in class.

But i'd dispute that he has "no defence" and I think if he can be taught to dip left rather than right he's already proven you wrong, in more ways than one. If he can develop a straight-left counter to being rushed after tracking back he can cover that shortcoming too. These are specifically the kind of thing that prospects add when they are building. They're on the record as naming 2 years as the timeframe for a title shot. That'll will be 4-7 fights and 4-7 camps with a superb coach.

I think improvement is inevitable rather than impossible.

Quote:
AND no ring IQ
He hasn't shown any adaptions yet - he hasn't needed to. Nor did Ali at that point in his career. Sonny Liston did, and i'm expecting you to agree that Ali had the higher ring IQ of the two.

Not that I expect Abdusalamov to ape Ali for smarts. I don't at all. His job is to land his punches, and that's the direction his inevitable improvements will guide him. Think Foreman.

Quote:
AND not much punch variety or creative combination wrangling,
He has his bread and butter punches for sure but I think he's already developed variety in terms of his trailing hand which is his best. He mixes a hard straight-left with a wilder varient depending on his nearness to the ropes and that's a nice technical tilt with a tactical route.

The picture perfect left hook to the body followed by a straight right to the head is probably "creative combination wrangling." I also consider him a natural body-puncher and weaves nicely between body and head and goes to the body well at appropriate times.

Of course, he has limitiations. I don't currently rate his right hand and he doesn't throw nearly enough uppercuts, but last time out he used the punch well against Pettaway.

Quote:
AND not much technical perfection in the execution of any one honed signature shot
I think his straight is almost perfect. What's wrong with the straight he broke Pettaway's nose with? I'd describe it as a picture perfect punch, what leads you to disagree?

Quote:
I've seen you comment on having spied some positives in his footwork a few times...in my couple of glimpses they haven't stood out to me. From my vantage he seems just a plod-and-prod cookie cutter, not one of those Joe Louis sneaky fellas who's got slowish feet but places them incredibly well. Can you recommend some instances of him using the ring effectively?
Footwork will be crucial to Magomed, as to any stalking fighter. Earlier in his career he had been given to following fighters around; no more. He proved this when matched with Rich Power (15-0 going in) in November of 2011, showing prestigious ring-cutting skills. After a confused first round he found his range and almost immediately started to pre-cut the ring on the American, who had never been stopped. Magomed managed to consistently keep his right foot outside or inside Power‘s left foot, depending upon which direction he was traveling, thereby keeping his jab primed. By the second round, Power was legitimately trapped, even though his were the faster feet. He proved this once by literally running from Abdusalamov to create some distance. The respite was temporary, however, and mere seconds later they were inches apart once more, with Power’s back to the ropes.

The straight left hand that dropped Power was prestigious, but he was more broken mentally than he was knocked out. By the time the referee waved Magomed off, Power had learned that he could not compete for strength and he could not escape by stealth. This is important and it gives us an indication of just how far ahead Abdusalamov might be of Tyson Fury, who also beat Power but on an eight-round decision. On that torrid night, Power ended that fight on his feet for no better reason than he was a well conditioned and determined athlete, as the colossal Tyson leaned all over and generally battered the smaller man. A cursory glance at the fourth round in his fight with Magomed is enough to tell us that his determination and conditioning were as likely to allow Power to fly directly to the moon as they were to allow him to see out eight rounds with the Russian. The psychological pressure that the stalker’s style exerts must not be underestimated, and has rescued fighters of this type over and again when they are being out-boxed but the rising pressure forces opponents to fight where they should move. Although it isn’t always pretty, Magomed appears to have the footwork to bring this type of pressure.

He pushes on with his lead foot but so far this seems to have been a problem for the opponent rather than for Magomed and he’s shown a certain deftness in keeping out of trouble as far as the traditional mix-up that occurs between southpaw and orthodox goes. This may be due in no small part to the influence of trainer Pablo Sarmiento. Sampson Lewkowicz confirmed during his conversation with Boxing.com that Sarmiento had been selected specifically because of his experience with the southpaw middleweight champion of the world. So far it looks like an outstanding move, although I did suggest that the language barrier may be a little daunting for the two. “Boxing is like love,” Sampson said. “Languages are no barriers.” Whilst this was a nice answer, there are difficulties. Once translators are involved the corner loses precious seconds with a fighter between rounds. Without one, communication is limited.

In terms of balance, Abdusalamov is still given to overreaching when he misses which is likely to be more a case of unpolished technique than balance. Going backwards he can look more than a little untidy, although he can do it when necessary. Building a straight-left southpaw counter to opposition rushes would be wise given that he often goes straight back as opposed to moving laterally. More generally, his balance is vastly improved since those early days, although he can still look untidy in the first round against some very mediocre opposition. Once he literally and figuratively finds his feet, he can generally be seen in position to punch. This is a rare case where fighting weaker opposition has been beneficial as he often has to fight in lunging spurts.

As a final word, I want to stress that I am not completely sold on him. I'm concentrating upon his positives because you seem so negative, and I know you're not generally a dick about this sort of thing so I wanted to know why. You've called him "the Arthur Abraham of the HW's" or something like that. Let me say that should he achieve what Abraham has achieved based on what he's shown now he will have overachieved. He needs to find a way to solve speed before he can expect to be something special.

But this division has turned to dogshit. Dogshit. If you could freeze it I guarantee you that he would make the top ten, and if he keeps his discipline he would wear some sort of strap at some point. If he solves speed, watch this space.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 05-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #27
Cachibatches
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Not yet. The man is only starting his career.
Cachibatches is offline  Top
Old 05-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #28
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103

Quote:
If there's no speed, AND no defense, AND no ring IQ, AND not much punch variety or creative combination wrangling, AND not much technical perfection in the execution of any one honed signature shot - I trend toward nonplussed.

Any one or a couple of those things, fine. All of them getting X marks?...eh. No thanks.

Power and chin alone don't stir my juices, if there's literally nothing else.
I agree. I would add that we don't even know if Magomed has a chin: he hasn't been hit by anyone with decent power yet as a pro.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 05-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #29
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
But i'd dispute that he has "no defence"
Didn't you see the Rodriguez fight? Mago ate right hand after right hand...all from a smallish, mediocre opponent. It was disturbing. He ate those shots like candy...no defense whatsoever.

Many southpaws are known for their vulnerability to a straight right. Mago is emerging as one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post

I think improvement is inevitable rather than impossible.
He's already 31 years old. Improvement will be minimal.

.[/quote]
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 05-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #30
Manning
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1449

Limited heavy handed south paw with zero defence or technique, the ultimate pub car park fighter. Will be beaten easily the first time he faces a genuine contender.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuTHhrnWO8c&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuTHhrnWO8c&feature=related[/ame]

His 25 year old cousin Magomedrasul Majidov above looks like a genuine World class prospect though.
Manning is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum