Old 05-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #46
chitownfightfan
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 702
Default Re: Thoughts on Magmed Abdusalamov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Gaul View Post
He's a sharp, aggressive, heavy-handed puncher with thunder in his left hand. With that said, he fights flat footed, is lazy on defense and his power may be a bit overrated. He's great to watch but it would be difficult for him to defeat any of the current top 10 HWs, IMO.
Wait until he learn to fight off the backfoot. That'll come when he fights a better fighter. He stepping up against Byarm next time out. Byarm has a solid beard himself and should be able to last more than a few rounds with Mago.

I'm betting Mago will be able to set that SP trap of making an orthodox fighter over-commit on the R hand then punish him with a striaght L hand. Think Corrie Sanders, but in shape and fully committed to boxing.
chitownfightfan is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #47
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

I would like to see him fight seth mitchell to further test both prospects.
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Old 05-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #48
chitownfightfan
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmore View Post
To me, the qualities of suspense and excitement go hand in hand. My guess is that Mago will turn out to be a dangerous-as-hell guy who fails on the world stage. But he may upset someone, or en route to losing, may floor and hurt whoever eventually beats him.

These fighters are fun to watch.
So your'e basically saying that Mago has the "potential" to become a Corrie Sanders type.

My opinion is similar, except that Mago is a fulltime fighter who is completely focused on becoming the best fighter he can be. At least thus far in his budding career.

31 y/o. A former amatuer champion. Missed the olympics because his wet toilet paper chinned opponent has headgear on.

I gotta think that his spoiling could very well be against a future champion by the name of toilet paper chinned price.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #49
chitownfightfan
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygun711 View Post
The under on that fight would be something like 1/20 The over paying as much as the draw.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #50
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownfightfan View Post
The under on that fight would be something like 1/20 The over paying as much as the draw.
you think seth blows him away? i doubt it. seth got rocked bad by witherspoon, so magomed has a better chance than you think
Old 05-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #51
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103

Quote:
So your'e basically saying that Mago has the "potential" to become a Corrie Sanders type.

My opinion is similar, except that Mago is a fulltime fighter who is completely focused on becoming the best fighter he can be. At least thus far in his budding career.

31 y/o. A former amatuer champion. Missed the olympics because his wet toilet paper chinned opponent has headgear on.

I gotta think that his spoiling could very well be against a future champion by the name of toilet paper chinned price.
Sanders wasn't that easy to hit, at least not early in his fights. After 3 or 4 rounds, he tended to gas, after which he took more punishment. But I never saw Sanders hit the way Mago was hit by Rodriguez.

Overall, I think Sanders was a better boxer/technician than Mago will ever be. Sanders could move well on his feet, and dance/jab from center ring (in his earlier years, at least, when he was better conditioned).
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 05-12-2012, 11:11 PM   #52
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I don't think Mago is yet on Mitchell's level.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 05-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #53
chitownfightfan
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
you think seth blows him away? i doubt it. seth got rocked bad by witherspoon, so magomed has a better chance than you think
Well, I wouldn't bet $$$$$ or even vcash on Mitchell in that fight. MOF, if the under was less than 4/9 I'd probably refrain.

That one could easily go either way depending on Mago chin vs another thunderous puncher. Thus far he's walked through one decent fighters shots and several lower Clevel, prospective journeymens shots. Not exactly on Witherspoons level.

Mago's taking a decent fight in his next bout. This one should go more than a few rounds. Byarms showed a solid beard himself vs Bryant Jennings and stayed in the fight until the final bell.

Im hoping Mago is working on fighting off the backfoot. A powerful SP's best punch is his straight L typically and if he can trap ortho fighters throwing the lead R....who knows. Im interested to see if he can set that trap vs Mo.

But Mitchell v Mago wouldn't go 12. Hell it wouldn't go 8. And if it was a 6 rdr, I'd still take the under at 4.5.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:05 AM   #54
Manning
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1449

Quote:

He doesn't have any where near the hand speed that Sanders had though, which was by far the greatest weapon in his arsenal. Sanders hand speed even in the twilight of his career was freakishly fast.
Manning is offline  Top
Old 05-13-2012, 05:17 AM   #55
Cableaddict
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
I don't think Mago is yet on Mitchell's level.
I think they're very similar, except Mitchell is faster & Mago hits slightly harder.

A match between them would be VERY interesting.
Cableaddict is offline  Top
Old 05-13-2012, 05:37 AM   #56
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
I'm not contradicting myself it all. The point, to put it bluntly, is that failure to have mastered the basics by age 31 (after a lengthy amateur career) suggests limited talent, and limited talent cannot be corrected.
Mago didn't start boxing until he was about 24.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 05-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #57
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotsky View Post
Mago didn't start boxing until he was about 24.
It doesn't matter. At this point, basic flaws would have been eliminated on the basis of natural talent alone. If the flaws haven't been washed out by now, they are here to stay.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 05-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #58
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
I think they're very similar, except Mitchell is faster & Mago hits slightly harder.

A match between them would be VERY interesting.
By far, Mitchell has fought the higher caliber opposition. That puts him several levels above Mago right now.

Also, Mago is so easy to hit that he might be a sitting duck for Mitchell's powerpunches. I don't see anything about Mago's technical skills suggesting that he is adept enough to hold Mitchell off by jabbing, or that he could beat Mitchell to the punch, or successfully counter him. This is apparent even in spite of Mitchell's relatively wide open defense.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 05-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #59
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

I would like to see that tho, regardless. Whoever gets hurt first loses imo. Mago is a very solid finisher.

I would like to see Helenius fight the winner
Old 05-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #60
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I would like to see Helenius fight the winner
Are you trying to get Mitchell and Mago killed?
kenmore is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum