Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 05-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #31
widdy
lancs,where real men live
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hearns vs Mayweather

hearns by beating,how floyd could get near,sorry how floyd could get away from him is beyond me,it just wouldent happen
widdy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #32
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Floyd would defend all night long and lose a clear UD. Hearns is too big, too long with too much speed and power for Floyd to ever get out of gear to do what he wants.

Floyd isn't big enough or powerful enough or even brave enough to approach it like Leonard or Hagler or Barkley. If he did, it might be the end of him. Floyd can go down as an all time great welter but Hearns isn't someone he can beat because he is a natural lightweight.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 05-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #33
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Floyd is arguably an all time great. For achievement and head-to-head I can probably think of 50+ 147lbers to rank over him, and can think of about 20 guys I'd pick to comfortably beat him.

Less and less as we go down the weights though. For example, Arguello is one of my all-time favourites, I consider him the greatest super feather of all time but Floyd would outbox him pretty easily IMO, over 12 I'm 110% certain.

Hearns? Nahhhh.

I'd pick Floyd to get enough rounds against Pryor, over 15? That's a hard matchup for both IMO.

Floyd beats Meldrick Taylor comfortable decision after ad******g to Taylors handspeed.

I'd favour Chavez at 135 and 140, Floyd at 147. 130 is a toss-up, Chavez would further sharpen his tools as he moved up but was beastly and Floyd was arguably at his best and most positive. JCC Sr operates on a higher plane to JMM, Castillo and Cotto combined. Floyd would need to land fast, sharp shots and turn Chavez, and over 12 rounds against a far more rounded operator than he's ever faced it's gonna' be very hard for him,
Flea Man is online now  Top
Old 05-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #34
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vano-Irons View Post
I'm not sure Danny Flexen said that
Danny Flexen's opinion on a Hearns-Mayweather match-up:

"...That old truism, styles make fights, is especially relevant here. Hearns was a physical freak at welterweight, measuring anywhere between 6ft 1in (officially) and 6ft 3ins (more likely, according to his trainer Emmanuel Steward), but 5ft 8ins Floyd had comprehensively defeated taller men like Tony Pep (6ft 1in), Genaro Hernandez (5ft 11in) and, in what may have been his best performance, 6ft 1in Diego Corrales. None of these men match up to Hearns but the common thread in Mayweather's showings against lofty foes was that his speed of hand and foot, accuracy and timing rendered his opponents' advantages in height and reach largely irrelevant.

...Hearns, like the "Golden Boy", will press the fight for the first half and build a lead with fine jabs and those right hands packed with dynamite but Mayweather's slippery nature and hair-trigger anticipation can keep him out of serious danger - he would take this challenge seriously and thus be far more aware than against Shane Mosley - and allow him to land telling counters. Hearns was an underrated technician but lacked mobility. He would fade late on, as he did against Leonard and having expended a huge amount of energy trying to pin the elusive Mayweather down, Floyd would then step up his output.

Hearns was excellent at what he did but needed space to work and could be a tad predictable. Floyd's variety is unparalleled and putting Hearns intermittently on the back foot would reduce the taller man's leverage. Mayweather is two inches shorter than Leonard, but, significantly, has longer arms. He could come on strong down the stretch to win a close decision."

Boxing News, 24th February 2011. Page 33.
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 05-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #35
Spearmint Rhino
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

That might be the worst analysis of Tommy Hearns ever written by a paid journalist.

Absolute gash.

Someone surely has him on FB, get him to answer himself for writing such tripe
Spearmint Rhino is offline  Top
Old 05-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #36
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

I think Flexen has watched the Hagler fight and a Hearns highlight. He clearly has no clue whatsoever about Tommy.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #37
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
None of these men match up to Hearns
That's the key part. If Mayweather barely beat an old Oscar, how the **** he is going to come on strong against Hearns? I couldn't give a shit if Mayweather's arms are longer than Leonard's. It wasn't Leonard's reach that have Tommy problems, it was his power. Hearns built up a lead, and Leonard started to stalk once he hurt Tommy. Imagine Floyd coming forward handy Hearns

The kid would be utterly annihilated.

I also find it a little unfair that Floyd, a small welter in theory, is matched against one of the largest Welters in history
Vano-Irons is offline  Top
Old 05-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #38
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearmint Rhino View Post

That might be the worst analysis of Tommy Hearns ever written by a paid journalist.

Absolute gash.

Someone surely has him on FB, get him to answer himself for writing such tripe
I wish to god I would have seen that before I left Boxing News
Old 05-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #39
Spearmint Rhino
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Using Tony Pep as an example of beating a tall man is ridiculous.

Ricky Hatton was a boy and he chopped him down in about two rounds.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #40
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

Hey kos, nice one mate! Thanks.
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 05-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #41
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Hatton struggled with Collazo, but he'd try harder against Hearns and not allow himself to be caught like he did against Pacqiuao, he took that challenge lightly.

**** Flexen, he knows nothing.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #42
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

His stamina was key, granted. But he buzzed Tommy badly in the 7th (IIRC), and while he was out on his feet in the 8th, he regained his composure and continued to outbox Ray in rounds 9 through 12. It wasn't until Tommy completely gassed and he was tagged hard when Tommy started to fold.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #43
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Hearns was not the vulnerable flapper some remember him has. The Motor City Cobra, The Hitman. He'd swat Floyd out of the way, he is also far greater, they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #44
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666

Quote:
...Hearns, like the "Golden Boy", will press the fight for the first half and build a lead with fine jabs and those right hands packed with dynamite but Mayweather's slippery nature and hair-trigger anticipation can keep him out of serious danger - he would take this challenge seriously and thus be far more aware than against Shane Mosley
I agree with him up to this point

Quote:
- and allow him to land telling counters. Hearns was an underrated technician but lacked mobility.
Now this is as retarded as it comes, Hearns was able to outbox Ray Leonard on the back-foot! At 147 he had great mobility and foot speed.

Quote:
He would fade late on, as he did against Leonard and having expended a huge amount of energy trying to pin the elusive Mayweather down, Floyd would then step up his output.
Hearns faded against Leonard because he had to fight 15 rounds! In a 12 round fight he would have beaten Ray Leonard! He came into that fight drained, have weighed 145 at a time when you weighed in on the day of the fight. Imagine if he had the luxury of weighing in the day before, then having 36 hours to rehydrate and regain his strength!

Quote:
Hearns was excellent at what he did but needed space to work and could be a tad predictable.
He did need space to work, thankfully he had a 78 inch reach! Predictable? He went from the aggressor, to outboxing Sugar Ray Leonard on the backfoot! Look at his fight against Benitez, then look at his fight with Duran, Tommy was not predictable!

Quote:
Floyd's variety is unparalleled and putting Hearns intermittently on the back foot would reduce the taller man's leverage.
Just stop right there, no ****ing way Floyd starts backing Hearns up! Floyd ran away all night from feather fisted Baldomir and Ricky Hatton! Floyd runs away all night from Hearns. No way he walks towards a skillful boxer with that kind of height, reach and power.

Quote:
Mayweather is two inches shorter than Leonard, but, significantly, has longer arms. He could come on strong down the stretch to win a close decision."

Mayweather reach 72 inches
Leonards reach 74 inches
Hearns reach 78 inches

Tell me how he effectively counters someone who has a 6 inch reach advantage, and will fight him at range? Take into consideration that Money May is feather fisted at 147, he isn't gonna hurt Hearns even if he lands. Floyd won't come on strong, he'll be grateful to still be conscious going down the stretch. Tommy still managed to floor the bigger Benitez, another defensive wizard, when Tommy had a broken hand.

That guy must be trolling, surely.
knockout artist is offline  Top
Old 05-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #45
Spearmint Rhino
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Leonard probably doesn't get his dues for that win, in terms of what he had to overcome and produce to pull it off.

It's probably the best win ever, by any fighter.... though Frazier over Ali probably runs it close.

A taller opponent with long arms, with ridiculous skills and punching power.... worn down and stopped in the 14th.

For all I don't like Leonard the man, what you've got to give him is that he always tried to close the show, rather than coasting to the cards.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum