Old 05-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #61
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hearns vs Mayweather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearmint Rhino View Post
If someone told me to write an article on how Floyd could beat Hearns I'd down tools and go on strike [Gaz/Icemax will say something about this]..

Damn right I would!!!
GazOC is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #62
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosaros View Post
Wasn't Fitzsimmons comfortably outboxed in his win over Corbett, as well?
Early on, and badly dropped and rocked! But he came back into it as the rounds went on.

Agreed. Vano, your criteria for Ray against Hearns is harsh. It's one of the greatest wins ever.

Gaz, Ali was back! Frazier's win is right up there with Duran-Leonard I IMO.

And Harada Vs Jofre
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 05-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #63
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosaros View Post
Wasn't Fitzsimmons comfortably outboxed in his win over Corbett, as well?
We're not talking about Bob anymore

Yeah I think he lost the majority of the first 8 before Fitz came on strong. Legend has it that Fitz's wife told him what to do from ringside, and it worked
Vano-Irons is offline  Top
Old 05-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #64
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

Ray over Leonard is one of the best come from behind wins of course. But Ray looked clueless in rounds 10-12. He was just plodding forward without throwing
Old 05-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #65
Renegade
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Vano you made out that you had put forth arguments aimed to rectify what you considered incorrect placements... Except you didn't say a word. No one remembers you uttering a strong opinion about anything during your time there. Which is fine because you were grateful for the opportunity and appreciated the opportunity. And it went down well - everyone liked and respected you. Then you came on here and fabricated a different set of events casting yourself as the defender of common sense. It never happened and I can't work out why you implied it did. In what was akin to an unofficial trial in an incredibly competitive industry you slammed the door in your own face. Hell I'm always being drawn into stupid situations (case in point) but even I wouldn't have been that silly. Comr on mate, re-read your posts as objectively as you can and then - rather than respond publicly - consider whether you need to speak privately to anyone at BN. It doesn't affect me either way, just trying to help you come to a mature conclusion. As for Hearns-Mayweather, I'm out.
Renegade is offline  Top
Old 05-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #66
Renegade
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Yeah, I gotta' say Vano hasn't been involved in this at all.

Renegade, this is all light-hearted jostling. No one really dislikes you or doesn't respect your opinion, you're one of my favourite tweeters.

The whole part about 'someone had to do the Mayweather side' of course you were doing your job, not idly typing on a forum debating like we are.

Again, Vano even tried to stick up for you until Kosaros posted your piece. He barely dissected it, I think you are being a bit harsh.

Also, do you have spies on here or do you come on and search your own name? Jus' sayin'....
Lol someone I don't know tweeted me linking to this thread. As for Vano I know he hasn't slagged me but his interjection brought up other things.
Renegade is offline  Top
Old 05-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #67
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
How did this come back up? Jesus I've been called a little boy by someone who calls themselves 'Nipple'! Look someone had to make the Mayweather argument for the piece and I was that someone. I'm not convinced he would win but I believe I put forward a plausible argument. I couldn't care less if people believe that or not or if they agree with my logic or not. It was written in good faith and sound mind plus no one can say with absolute certainty who'd have won. And Vano, why do you wish someone had shown you this before you left? You'd have done what exactly, said five words that day instead of the usual four? Mate you need to learn about burning bridges. I couldn't give a rat's ass what you say about me but BN invited you into their team and you have repaid them by misrepresenting them on here. You can put it down to the recklessness of youth but it's ludicrously self-defeating; you had a golden opportunity there, a way in and it's a shame you didn't realise.
As Flea said, this is a bit of an overreaction. Dan's been a great advocate of BN. Making that snide comment about what he said while in your offices reflects badly on you.

I think you owe Dan an apology. You put what you write out in the open and you better expect to have to live by it. You've written some good pieces for BN, some utter howlers too (including the quoted piece) - every good writer has. It's just how things go.

Frankly I'm amazed someone who has made it this far as a journalist has such a thin skin to pick on an aspiring novice for having an opinion.

Poor show.

Still, at least you aren't as shit as Matt Christie.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 05-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #68
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vano-Irons View Post
I'm not a massive Leonard fan as you can probably tell. I made that point, as many of Ray's wins were damn close. He lost to Duran clearly IMO, was outboxed by Hearns for large parts, and some felt he was lucky against Hagler.

Of course it's all ifs and buts, and Ray managed to win those fights (duran in the rematch), but I'm not as convinced as others are on him, even if he is in my top 15 all time
He beat Benitez comfortably. First man to beat Kalule.

Ray does have lower tier wins to flesh it out a bit as well. Good trialhorses/contenders Ranzany, Muniz, Price, Viruet, Mayweather Sr, Shields....add Hearns, Benitez, Kalule, Hagler, Duran to it and it starts to look damn good. Especially considering what a brilliant fighter Ray was as well.

The reason he had close fights is because he fought the very best.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 05-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #69
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Lol someone I don't know tweeted me linking to this thread. As for Vano I know he hasn't slagged me but his interjection brought up other things.
People say stuff online all the time. No need to have aired that publicly.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 05-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #70
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

Ray is the man.

Greatest fighter since the "other" Sugar Ray.
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 05-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #71
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Early on, and badly dropped and rocked! But he came back into it as the rounds went on.

Agreed. Vano, your criteria for Ray against Hearns is harsh. It's one of the greatest wins ever.

Gaz, Ali was back! Frazier's win is right up there with Duran-Leonard I IMO.

And Harada Vs Jofre
Disagree mate, that fight happened at least 1 probably 2 fights too soon for Ali IMHO. Ali put the record straight though..

Good call on Harada-Jofre!
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 05-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #72
perspicacity
Raising The Bar
ESB Addict

vCash: 185000

Mayweather has said himself his game is 90% mentality. Faced with a guy like Hearns Floyd would meltdown mentally. It wouldn't be competitive.
perspicacity is offline  Top
Old 05-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #73
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

I didn't tell Nick that Fitzsimmons was incredibly low on the list? That being in the mid 70s was mind blowing considering he beat everyone from Middleweight to Heavyweight?

I also asked why Barbados Joe Walcott wasn't included, why Archie Moore was that much higher than Charles, why Ali was 2nd, why Duran was above Leonard. That was only the top 20.

I can't see where I have made out to be something I'm not. I've said I wasn't involved in any of the writing etc. I've not exactly said I walked into the offices and said 'right, this is wrong, that needs sorting, you need a kick up the arse' etc. as it didn't happen. It is also an incredible rude thing to do, a 22 year old know it all walking into the biggest boxing publication in the country. It's just not me.

As for not getting involved, I was sitting on the other side of the office, and still managed to hae detailed conversations with nick about Harry Greb on numerous occasions. I dont think I need to offer an apology to anyone at the office, considering I was talking up the magazine every chance I got, both on here and to friends. I've spoken with Tris on a few occasions, thanking him for his time and gratitude he showed me
Old 05-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #74
Renegade
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

DFT we'll agree to disagree. For me to be welcomed into an environment many would kill to experience then betray that hospitality witb misleading PUBLIC comment is the height of bad manners. And there's absolutely no need for it. I don't expect you to come round to my point of view. Ps: I'm a big fan of Matt.
Renegade is offline  Top
Old 05-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #75
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Vano you made out that you had put forth arguments aimed to rectify what you considered incorrect placements...
Except you didn't say a word. No one remembers you uttering a strong opinion about anything during your time there. Which is fine because you were grateful for the opportunity and appreciated the opportunity. And it went down well - everyone liked and respected you. Then you came on here and fabricated a different set of events casting yourself as the defender of common sense. It never happened and I can't work out why you implied it did. In what was akin to an unofficial trial in an incredibly competitive industry you slammed the door in your own face. Hell I'm always being drawn into stupid situations (case in point) but even I wouldn't have been that silly. Comr on mate, re-read your posts as objectively as you can and then - rather than respond publicly - consider whether you need to speak privately to anyone at BN. It doesn't affect me either way, just trying to help you come to a mature conclusion. As for Hearns-Mayweather, I'm out.
See that all seemed light-hearted to me. He also made it clear that he wasn't part of that process so I think no one paid it any heed. I really think you need to know that it was down to Vano I even bought the mag'. Had a good debate with Tris over the placing (which were dreadful IMO) on twitter but didn't stop me buying and enjoying it, mainly because Vano ensured me I would!

A tenner of my hard-earned money.

As for your response to me, glad to see you're not taking this all that seriously.
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum