Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 05-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #16
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Floyd's record if it had been against the modern greats

If any boxer mixed it up like they do in the UFC then the records would be very similar minus the few like GSP and Silva. I would expect Floyd to be one of the genuine special fighters as despite the odd missed fight, he really has mixed it with alot of the modern greats and mugged them off.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #17
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Tszyu really wasn't all that. I don't rate him as one of the greatest ten stone fighters.

I think he's grossly overrated. Only a few wins of real quality IMO.
I like the really early win over laporte, the stoppage of gonzalez was fairly relevant, the win over zab was fair too, shamba Mitchell ok, but the guys he missed above and below are pretty extensive in number.

He wasn't this all dominating force either the division largely emptied itself out.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #18
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Yeah, dropped by Hurtado, finished by Phillips. Why do I care if he had his eye on De La Hoya.

Wasn't an amazing time for the division either. I'll take Mamby's run from Muangsurin to Haley over Tszyu.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #19
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Anyone that picks Floyd to beat Whitaker don't know shit about boxing, as Roger would say.

Duran on his best would make mincemeat of him as well, Duran at his best makes Castillo look like a toddler. So, make of that what you will.

I'm not that impressed by Floyd at 154 so I can't pick him over anybody there, nor against truly great welterweights. He struggled with the corpse of Oscar, although infact I think he'd beat Oscar easier at 135.

I rate him really high at 130, its often forgot how much better he was down there.

In terms of 135 Chavez is an epic struggle, Mayweather if he was on absolute top form could pip him.

I think he beats everyone at 130, I rate him incredibly highly there. Nelson would be the toughest, IMO.

Oh, Tszyu isn't really a tough match up. Sure he could fire the 1-2, but Floyd is hardly going to be a sucker for that all night. He'd nullify it pretty swift.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #20
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Marcel might well be the toughest fight for him at 130, an equally adaptable, quick, multi-skilled operator and a ring general of the highest order. Elorde and Saddler would both push him very hard I imagine. Tyrone Everett would be no picnic stylistically for Floyd IMO. The Ferocious Four would all be nails enough togove him a good go, especially over 15, Navarette gets wasted early by Floyd, Boza gets a Corrales-esque beating but with more success, stopped late, Chacon goes a very game showing, maybe hurting Floyd a few times but eventually cops a horrific beating, might well see Floyd do a Gatti-esque performance of a top level Gatti

Although I imagine Floyd might well go for Jim Watt if he was around in that time I.e of you swapped him with Rog' and he beat Serrano. Quite an easy hypothetical to fathom. Fights Lockridge (how does that go down?!?) and then sees those guys shlong it out. I imagine he'd let them have their wars and get Limon as Camacho did Would Floyd take on a prime 'Macho?'

Essentially he'd find these waters too dangerous to navigate. So he'd either 1. Fight the best, beat them all, deserves the plaudits he gets in the modern era for doing far less 2. takes on the tough fights, wins some, loses them, gets the same respect as many quality fighters of stacked era's receive 3. picks and chooses. I imagine it'd be like now, 50-50 split in terms of how 'great' he is/was.

Limon is nails. Floyd will be bruised the mezuzah but he's far too quick, and while Bazooka's awkward bombs might land a few times, Floyd would adjust and be too much. Wide decision or late stoppage.

As I said earlier (or in another thread recently) Arguello was the greatest super feather and Floyd has the style to beat him comfortably.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #21
Jim Bowen
MARVELOUS
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinthfc View Post
Floyd is a 5 weight champion comprising:
  • 130 - 10 title fights
  • 135 - 4 title fights
  • 140 - 1 title fight
  • 147 - 4 title fights
  • 154 - 2 title fights
How would his record stand if the title fights were against this opposition?

130:
  1. Barrera
  2. Morales
  3. Marquez (instead of 147)
  4. Pacman
  5. Nelson
  6. Arguello
  7. Fenech
  8. Tony Lopez
  9. Gatti (instead of 147)
  10. John John Molina
135:
  1. Duran
  2. ODH (instead of 154)
  3. Pernell Whittacker
  4. JC Chavez
140:
  1. Kostya Tzyu
147:
  1. SRL
  2. Hearns
  3. Trinidad
  4. Honeyghan
154:
  1. Julian Jackson
  2. Terry Norris
My 135 list is a bit random. You may come up with a better one

However I believe his record word read overall 39-4.

A 4 weight champion with defeats against SRL, Hearns, Jackson & Norris
How about a "best around" list to see how good Mayweather's record could have had, had he fought the best in each division that's been around in the time Mayweather was or could have been active in those divisions. Eg. Allow for the fact that the majority of the time he's been at 147 he's been willing to fight at 154, if the fight was right.
Jim Bowen is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #22
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
If any boxer mixed it up like they do in the UFC then the records would be very similar minus the few like GSP and Silva. I would expect Floyd to be one of the genuine special fighters as despite the odd missed fight, he really has mixed it with alot of the modern greats and mugged them off.
Not the top notch fighters, IMO. That only tends to happen historically when people have ridiculous schedules, of course inconsistency then creeps in. But for tuned athletes the best will always shine through and that will be reflected in records.

The thing is, its different when kicks start flying around and theres completely different styles, styles almost doesn't even do it justice in the MMA sense. It's completely different, when you put wrestling and kicking into the mix you are bound to see the records like they have in MMA.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #23
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

If he had everything he had now, and also fought Margo' and P-Dub I think he'd get far less stick. Maybe Mosley a few years earlier.

Whether it's his fault or not they didn't happen, they didn't happen
so he gets no credit for it, just as they get no credit for fighting him.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #24
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
Not the top notch fighters, IMO. That only tends to happen historically when people have ridiculous schedules, of course inconsistency then creeps in. But for tuned athletes the best will always shine through and that will be reflected in records.

The thing is, its different when kicks start flying around and theres completely different styles, styles almost doesn't even do it justice in the MMA sense. It's completely different, when you put wrestling and kicking into the mix you are bound to see the records like they have in MMA.
I agree, there's just less possible outcomes with boxing.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #25
Ireland
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Floyd still handpicks fighters, although recently he taken on tougher opponents-

Alot of his wins are 'just by a few rounds and go have gone to ther other guy'

Castillo 1
De La Hoya

A great fighter but no where near goat.

In his time he has missed out on

Margarito
Williams
Pac
Martinez

Pac of 2009-10 would have steam rolled him, but pac lost a step.
Ireland is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #26
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post

I disagree. If boxers fought the genuine best then their records would become chequered just like it did back in the day and even then they had alot of filler fights.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #27
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Who are they and what filler fights did they have?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #28
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

although he's a champ at 154, he's not fought any natural 154lb fighters...i.e. ones that havent come up from lower weights
doug.ie is online now  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #29
TYSON DURAN
ESB Senior Member

I think Arguello may just get the better of him as Floyd was more willing to trade punches at 130 lbs.

Duran eats him alive

Whitaker schools him.

Leonard beats him

He would be to scared of the power of Hearns, Trinidad and Jackson. So would lose all 3 fights running all night.

Norris is an interesting one which could go either way.
TYSON DURAN is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #30
sugarsean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1057

Whitaker, Duran, Hearns & Leonard defiantly beat him no question

At 154 Norris would be a big big favourite

Azumah Nelson if in 100% condition is 50/50

Arguello, Trinidad, Chavez, all in with a shot at a victory but I favour Floyd

Julian Jackson is a hard one to pick, Floyd is on a whole nother level, Floyd could just dominate for 12 rounds by boxing out of his skin, I don't see how Floyd can stop him, 12 rounds is a long time and at 154 and with the power Jackson has, I'm thinking Herol Graham.
sugarsean is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum