Old 05-16-2012, 02:53 AM   #16
KingCobra
IBF World Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Carl Froch: "Itís not cheap following The Cobra"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumsfeld View Post
Has anyone else here had the opportunity to be in attendance for a Cobra fight?
I was there for Pascal and Dirrell. Going to be there for Bute
KingCobra is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2012, 02:53 AM   #17
Rumsfeld
East Side VIP

vCash: 655

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuey View Post
Doyley and me met him in a bar before Witter Decorly, nice geezer, very tall.
No shit?
Rumsfeld is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2012, 03:39 AM   #18
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 272

Got tickets to this one. And can't wait.

Amercian fans. What is EPIX? Is it something you have to subscribe to or is it free.

WIll this fight get many viewers in America?
JohnAnthony is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2012, 03:51 AM   #19
Rumsfeld
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAnthony View Post

Amercian fans. What is EPIX? Is it something you have to subscribe to or is it free.

WIll this fight get many viewers in America?
EPIX is a premiere cable channel, like HBO and Showtime. They have recently given boxing a go. I think the first fight they aired was Klitschko-Solis, which was a disaster!

They often show overseas fights that HBO and Showtime pass on, and they usually come on around 5 or 6pm EST New York time.

A lot of areas don't have EPIX yet, but I'v watched every fight they've broadcast so far. They usually have a commentating team that is in a studio, not live on location, and it often consists of Dan Rafael and Freddie Roach (the overall commentating and production value is well below the standard of Showtime and even further behind HBO).

All of that said, I'm thrilled they are carrying the fight, and that they've carried many fights I would otherwise not have televised. I think it's great they are giving this a go, and I'm glad they didn't just shit can the whole idea after the fiasco that was Vitali-Solis.

Froch is 100% correct.

It's a damn ****ing shame that Showtime or HBO did not pick this one up. It should be a great fight. I'm really glad EPIX got it, but this is a big enough fight it demands a better spotlight.

I really think Showtime has dropped the ball, personally. They should have held on to what they built with the Super Six. They wanted Ward-Bute, but getting Froch-Bute and Ward-Dawson would have been good for them.

Instead they are missing out on Ward, Bute, and Froch!

I don't get it. Then again, I don't know a damn thing about what makes financial sense for them, but as a fan it just seems like a poor move across the board.
Rumsfeld is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2012, 03:51 AM   #20
Rumsfeld
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAnthony View Post
BTW, that's awesome!

Rumsfeld is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2012, 03:53 AM   #21
Rumsfeld
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCobra View Post
I was there for Pascal and Dirrell. Going to be there for Bute
What were the atmospheres like for those two, in particular the Dirrell fight?
Rumsfeld is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2012, 04:15 AM   #22
Wickio
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 93

Quote:
What were the atmospheres like for those two, in particular the Dirrell fight?
The atmosphere for the Pascal fight was intense, absolute lion's den. The Dirrell fight, not so much. Because it was being shown live by Showtime, all the fans had to wait in the arena until nearly 5am, with hours of no undercard fights thanks to the wonderful Mick Hennessy. Needless to say, most people were pretty well spent by the time the fight came round, and since it was a rather lackluster affair it didn't do an awful lot to rile them.

Last edited by Wickio; 05-16-2012 at 05:32 AM.
Wickio is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #23
stuey
Never bet on England
ESB Addict

vCash: 622

Quote:
No shit?

Yep, stroke was there as well. Obviously we were all a but drunk and mr froch was sober but he was there. Got a photo somewhere, just not sure where?
stuey is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #24
KingCobra
IBF World Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickio View Post
The atmosphere for the Pascal fight was intense, absolute lion's den. The Dirrell fight, not so much. Because it was being shown live by Showtime, all the fans had to wait in the arena until nearly 5am, with hours of no undercard fights thanks to the wonderful Mick Hennessy. Needless to say, most people were pretty well spent by the time the fight came round, and since it was a rather lackluster affair it didn't do an awful lot to rile them.
Yeah, at the Dirrell fight, the highlight of the night was the crowd shouting "You fat bastard" at Gary Shaw.....who seemed to enjoy the attention

Other than that, listening to piss heads pass the time till 5am by singing shit like "Who the **** is Alice" by Roy Chubby Brown wasn't my idea of a pleasurable way to spend a few hours.
KingCobra is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2012, 11:50 PM   #25
Rumsfeld
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickio View Post
Ah! I was in Puerto Rico at a wedding the night the Super Six kicked off so I missed both fights live. That never occurred to me (the time thing).

I happened to catch the replay of the Abraham-Taylor fight the next day, but didn't see Froch-Dirrell until like a week later when I got home.

I remember being pleasantly surprised that the Super Six was getting national coverage here by ESPN, but I honestly only remember seeing the highlight of Taylor getting KO'd over and over.
Rumsfeld is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2012, 11:50 PM   #26
Rumsfeld
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCobra View Post
Yeah, at the Dirrell fight, the highlight of the night was the crowd shouting "You fat bastard" at Gary Shaw.....who seemed to enjoy the attention

Other than that, listening to piss heads pass the time till 5am by singing shit like "Who the **** is Alice" by Roy Chubby Brown wasn't my idea of a pleasurable way to spend a few hours.
Rumsfeld is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2012, 11:51 PM   #27
Rumsfeld
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuey View Post
Yep, stroke was there as well. Obviously we were all a but drunk and mr froch was sober but he was there. Got a photo somewhere, just not sure where?

BTW, how many such photos do you have now? You must have quite a collection by now if memory serves.
Rumsfeld is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #28
The Genius
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Froch/Dirrell started a lot earlier than 5am. If not 2am then certainly 3am. Although watching on Primetime there was a long wait between Abraham/Taylor and Froch/Dirrell.
The Genius is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #29
aliviu_emilian
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
EPIX is a premiere cable channel, like HBO and Showtime. They have recently given boxing a go. I think the first fight they aired was Klitschko-Solis, which was a disaster!

They often show overseas fights that HBO and Showtime pass on, and they usually come on around 5 or 6pm EST New York time.

A lot of areas don't have EPIX yet, but I'v watched every fight they've broadcast so far. They usually have a commentating team that is in a studio, not live on location, and it often consists of Dan Rafael and Freddie Roach (the overall commentating and production value is well below the standard of Showtime and even further behind HBO).

All of that said, I'm thrilled they are carrying the fight, and that they've carried many fights I would otherwise not have televised. I think it's great they are giving this a go, and I'm glad they didn't just shit can the whole idea after the fiasco that was Vitali-Solis.

Froch is 100% correct.

It's a damn ****ing shame that Showtime or HBO did not pick this one up. It should be a great fight. I'm really glad EPIX got it, but this is a big enough fight it demands a better spotlight.

I really think Showtime has dropped the ball, personally. They should have held on to what they built with the Super Six. They wanted Ward-Bute, but getting Froch-Bute and Ward-Dawson would have been good for them.

Instead they are missing out on Ward, Bute, and Froch!

I don't get it. Then again, I don't know a damn thing about what makes financial sense for them, but as a fan it just seems like a poor move across the board.
You contradict a liitle bit yourself.First, EPIX is "premiere cable channel like HBO and Showtime",then, the " Value is well below the standard of Showtime and even further behind HBO".

I`m surprised you didn`t understand by now why Showtime and HBO don`t ait the fight but I remember you were very stubborn in puting Bute behind Kessler and Froch despite, for example Ring and Dan Rafael give both an other situation in classing the best four SMW.

By the way, the subject was commented on forum here so IS NOT MY ORIGINAL explanation.

Bute has one more fight in contract with Showtime.Almost everyone expects that Ward and Bute to remain undefeated and the best SMW.So, Bute-Ward consquently to Super Six would be, as Herrschmann said " the biggest fight in SMW ".

Bute has two fights already on HBO and is a fresh rising star attractive for boxing fans.If Showtimes consumes its option remained for Bute risks to to lose the big fight to HBO.SO, because Bute refused to sign an other new deal (10 mil per 3 fights heard) they wait for that fight.

Now the question is why HBO didn`t take it?. Two reasons combined:

1.When HBO took something smaller after Showtime take the major part?

2.Hour of the fight
aliviu_emilian is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #30
fatcity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2300

I get Epix and it has a very small audiance base compared to HBO and Showtime.It really has no impact in the US,at this point.
They claim to be a "premium" channel but it is far from it-mostly old dusted off movies which were popular 5 years ago.
Their boxing coverage presentation is horrible with Fat Dan and Freddie,which,are clearly not ready for prime time.It is what it is,but I am pleased they cover some Euro trash fights.
fatcity is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum