boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
fg2227
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,115
vCash: 1000
Default Did Tyson even train for lewis?

Doesn't seem so he weighed 236lbs i think, does anyone have any knowledge if he trained properly? You would think he would it was a massive fight.
fg2227 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
Sonny's jab
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Did Tyson even train for lewis?

I guess he trained a little bit.
He weighed 234
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 黒人文化の恋人のサンプリ
Posts: 10,027
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Did Tyson even train for lewis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg2227
Doesn't seem so he weighed 236lbs i think, does anyone have any knowledge if he trained properly? You would think he would it was a massive fight.
well remmebr he was almost 40.

he was defintly training but conditioning was not what he was looking for he was looking for the sleeper

remember he was only a puncher by then and was not going to out box his way. he was going to look for the one shot knock out and adding wieght to compensate for his slightness at for only being 5'11 would of been a ideal statadgy to be as heavy as you can while not losing speed or mobility
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
fg2227
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,115
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Did Tyson even train for lewis?

Didn't he weigh ten pounds less for his next fight at 225lbs?
fg2227 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #5
Sonny's jab
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Did Tyson even train for lewis?

Bulking up to deliver a knockout punch is NO STRATEGY AT ALL.

You have to be in good condition if you're serious about fighting for the championship.
This aint a tough man contest, or a bouncer brawl.

You need some degree of speed to deliver that KO punch, you need a ton of stamina to maximize your chances of being around to deliver it.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #6
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Scotland
Posts: 4,227
vCash: 576
Default Re: Did Tyson even train for lewis?

Apparently he was training so hard that he was puking up in the gym. However, I think he trained all for power, and did it the wrong way as well by just packing on muscle. When it became apparent that Tyson was too short to get leverage against Lewis and lacked the one-punch power to KO him, that was basically it.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:43 PM   #7
fg2227
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,115
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Did Tyson even train for lewis?

What age was tyson in the lewis fight?
fg2227 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #8
guncho
next champion!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,839
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Did Tyson even train for lewis?

Tysons walk around weight is 240 lbs so think yourself did he trian or not!
guncho is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
Posts: 10,722
vCash: 300
Default Re: Did Tyson even train for lewis?

i heard that Mike trained extremely hard for Lennox but was by many accounts very intimidated by Lennox, I honestly question him beleiving that he could physically beat Lewis, He had one chance of acheiving that and that was by knocking Lewis out in a war. Lenox was so composed and confident that Mike had to try to ruffle Lewis's feathers every time they met.. (The leg bite.. The wars of words..) Mike was trying to get Lewis to go all toe to toe and fight it out , but a ready Lennox had his well prepared plan in place, safety first overwealming victory by methodically dismantelling Mike. Mike traned hard but never quite had heart and soul into that bout.. His aura was shot and in a way so was Mike.. I thing even if Mike was 215 and motivated he would have still fell in front of Lennox. It was just bad timing.. Lennox was primed on securing his place in history.. It was too important to him..
Bigcat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:22 PM   #10
Dostoevsky
Hardcore......to the max!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Kingdom of Fife, Scotland.
Posts: 2,848
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Did Tyson even train for lewis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage_West
well remmebr he was almost 40.

he was defintly training but conditioning was not what he was looking for he was looking for the sleeper

remember he was only a puncher by then and was not going to out box his way. he was going to look for the one shot knock out and adding wieght to compensate for his slightness at for only being 5'11 would of been a ideal statadgy to be as heavy as you can while not losing speed or mobility
Being 35 is almost 40?
Dostoevsky is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:48 PM   #11
Sonny's jab
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Did Tyson even train for lewis?

Tyson was not prepared mentally or physically for Lewis.

I remember in 2000, Tyson beat Julius Francis and then said he needed "a few more fights" before thinking about taking on Lennox Lewis, then he beat Lou Savarese in a few seconds and looked in GREAT condition, still he needed more fights, then he fought Andrew Golota, had a tantrum directed at the media before and after the fight and said he'd never fight again, (but he looked decent against Golota).

I suppose Tyson at this point was about two or three tune-ups away from being in the best possible PHYSICAL state (at that point is his career) to take on Lewis, but his crazy behaviour and his statement about quitting showed he was mentally unstable for fighting. For all three fights in 2000 he weighed 220-225.

Then, after Golota, he put all the ring rust back on, and re-surfaced a whole year later against Brian Nielsen, weighing 239 and looking heavy-handed and slow-footed. Another 8 month layoff and he takes on Lennox Lewis - a fight I'm not sure Tyson even wanted ! He seemed to try to sabotage it.

Tyson looked like a sacrificial lamb against Lewis, a has-been with the biggest name in boxing, a 234 plodder who'd lost his love for the game, and blown all his millions, getting another mega-million payday squeezed out of his name.

Tyson gave up believing in himself in the 3rd round of the rematch with Holyfield, when he bit the ear.
I doubt he ever believed he could really beat Lewis, but Lewis wanted the payday, Tyson wanted the payday, and several other people stood to make a hell of a lot of money from that fight.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:55 PM   #12
C. M. Clay II
Manassah's finest!
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Did Tyson even train for lewis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
Tyson was not prepared mentally or physically for Lewis.

I remember in 2000, Tyson beat Julius Francis and then said he needed "a few more fights" before thinking about taking on Lennox Lewis, then he beat Lou Savarese in a few seconds and looked in GREAT condition, still he needed more fights, then he fought Andrew Golota, had a tantrum directed at the media before and after the fight and said he'd never fight again, (but he looked decent against Golota).

I suppose Tyson at this point was about two or three tune-ups away from being in the best possible PHYSICAL state (at that point is his career) to take on Lewis, but his crazy behaviour and his statement about quitting showed he was mentally unstable for fighting. For all three fights in 2000 he weighed 220-225.

Then, after Golota, he put all the ring rust back on, and re-surfaced a whole year later against Brian Nielsen, weighing 239 and looking heavy-handed and slow-footed. Another 8 month layoff and he takes on Lennox Lewis - a fight I'm not sure Tyson even wanted ! He seemed to try to sabotage it.

Tyson looked like a sacrificial lamb against Lewis, a has-been with the biggest name in boxing, a 234 plodder who'd lost his love for the game, and blown all his millions, getting another mega-million payday squeezed out of his name.

Tyson gave up believing in himself in the 3rd round of the rematch with Holyfield, when he bit the ear.
I doubt he ever believed he could really beat Lewis, but Lewis wanted the payday, Tyson wanted the payday, and several other people stood to make a hell of a lot of money from that fight.
So true.
C. M. Clay II is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:51 PM   #13
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Scotland
Posts: 4,227
vCash: 576
Default Re: Did Tyson even train for lewis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke
Being 35 is almost 40?
Well, Lewis was almost 50 when that fight happened, so that would be about right.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:57 PM   #14
barneyrub
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,039
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Did Tyson even train for lewis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg2227
What age was tyson in the lewis fight?
Tyson was 35, Lewis was 36.
barneyrub is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:22 PM   #15
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami FL, USA
Posts: 3,688
vCash: 153
Default Re: Did Tyson even train for lewis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg2227
What age was tyson in the lewis fight?
35.

lewis was 36.
Bad_Intentions is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015