Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 05-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #31
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 103865
Default Re: Mayweather vs Pacquiao - PPV comparison question

I do agree. Top Rank got more robberies. Their cash cow can't lose.
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #32
box247
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Some good points but it's difficult to assess by how much those factors reduce the PPV sales. Seeing as Pac does good sales it's a fair assumption that he can go for 50-50 as with those additions maybe able to equal floyd. It's all up for debate
box247 is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #33
KO-KING
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaL View Post
robberies dude.
I think You misunderstood my post, am saying those fights didn't go the way it should because it would have gone against the bigger more established name - in Pac v May, that's not a problem
KO-KING is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #34
klion22
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 7766

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO-KING View Post
First of all am a neutral in this debate (before Anyone decide's to call me a pactard/flomo).

Isnt the comparison Of Pac vs Floyd a bit unfair on Pacquiao.
Reasons:
  • Floyd = American unlike Pacquiao, PPV vs PPV - is the sales from USA
  • Floyd works with Golden Boy, Who put on Great Undercards - In his last 2 fights he has had Morales, Canelo and Mosley, who on their own sell a lot of PPV's
  • Pacquiao is with that peice of shit Arum, He outright refuses to put a good undercard on - He was once asked why not put Donaire on the undercard - Arum: 'That's the Last thing I want'
  • Floyd Fights far more less, so people have the feeling that the fight might once a event fight, so they spend their money - E.g. if the PPV was $60 - A person may set themselve a budget of $60 dollars to spend on a certain fighter, so they often buy 1 out of 2/3, with floyd they can buy every single one
All valid points. Everyone knows that Pac's undercards have been crap for years while Floyd's undercards have been much more solid. That affects the PPV numbers. But the last point is kind of weak.
klion22 is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #35
KO-KING
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete View Post
None of that his Mayweather's problem though. Thats like saying its unfair for Manny to be rated as one of the top P4P guys because he is so much faster and has so much more stamina, to go with power he shouldn't have at this weight then majority of his comp. That its an unfair advantage and if he was the same speed, same stamina, same power as the average man then he wouldn't be one of the top P4P guys.

Mayweather put himself in this position so all the credit goes to him. He made the right choice leaving Arum. He made some smart buisness decisions in teaming up with certain people to allow him to capitalize his earnings every way possible. Took a lot of a heat for a couple yrs doing these things, but as usual he came out on top.
Not saying it's Mayweather's problem, am saying it is unfair to say who is the bigger PPV star based on the reasons I gave.

That shows mayweather made a Smarter move than Pacquiao - not that he is bigger PPV star, also didn't Mayweather Leave around 06 - after being with arum throughout his career, Pacquiao joined arum in 2005 and his contract hasn't ran out yet.
KO-KING is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #36
KO-KING
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by klion22 View Post
All valid points. Everyone knows that Pac's undercards have been crap for years while Floyd's undercards have been much more solid. That affects the PPV numbers. But the last point is kind of weak.
Don't you agree that him fighting less builds more anticipation compared with pac who fights 2/3 times a year
KO-KING is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #37
KO-KING
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post

So again, what you said was all subjective.

Floyd fought Oscar and Hatton within a 7 month period.

Floyd fought Marquez and Mosley within a 8 month period.

Floyd fougth Ortiz and Cotto within a 8 month period.

Also doesn't change the fact that Floyd averages 1,705,000 PPV buys where as

Pac averages 1,113,000 PPV buys among common opponents.
What about the gap between, Hatton and Marquez. What about the gap between Mosley and Ortiz.

When Floyd Fought Oscar -Both guys american(/mexican) - PPV = In America

When Floyd fought hatton it was 2 undefeated fighters, when he fought Pacquiao a bit of that glamour of 2 undefeated champs fighting each other didn't exsist anymore

Floyd also has bigger names on the undercard, when he fought ortiz he Had Morales in undercard

When he fought Cotto on cinco de mayo he had Canelo on the undercard - who recieved 2 million dollars, mostly because of the PPV buys he attracted - and the fact that he was huge attraction to the PPV event

Last edited by KO-KING; 05-16-2012 at 02:45 PM.
KO-KING is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #38
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAnthony View Post
yes i agree. I'm happy with 55/45 to floyd.

I think it's 50/50 because regardless of ppv sales this is 2 A-sides fighting each other. And everyone who buys this fight are paying to watch Pac vs May.

As apposed to recent fights of Pac/May vs "insert random opponent"

But based on numbers 55/45 is fair imo.
Mosley wasn't some random opponent. The guy was the welterweight champion of the world. Cotto also wasn't some random opponent. People were paying for championship level fights.

Same vs Pacquiao in the Cotto and Margarito fights. Those guys had big followings as well and were for championships.
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #39
Concrete
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Not saying it's Mayweather's problem, am saying it is unfair to say who is the bigger PPV star based on the reasons I gave.

That shows mayweather made a Smarter move than Pacquiao - not that he is bigger PPV star, also didn't Mayweather Leave around 06 - after being with arum throughout his career, Pacquiao joined arum in 2005 and his contract hasn't ran out yet.
Manny has to prove he can be a bigger star without Arum first as Mayweather has. Your saying what Manny can do if given the same opportunity but none of that is fact. Manny will have to team up with the right people and make a lot of smart buisness decisions as Mayweather has in order to have the same success.
Concrete is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #40
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

Quote:
What about the gap between, Hatton and Marquez. What about the gap between Mosley and Ortiz.

When Floyd Fought Oscar -Both guys american(/mexican) - PPV = In America

When Floyd fought hatton it was 2 undefeated fighters, when he fought Pacquiao a bit of that glamour of 2 undefeated champs fighting each other didn't exsist anymore

Floyd also has bigger names on the undercard, when he fought ortiz he Had Morales in undercard

When he fought Cotto on cinco de mayo he had Canelo on the undercard - who recieved 2 million dollars, because of the PPV buys he attracted
haha, what?
Old 05-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #41
KO-KING
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
haha, what?
Which part

He Did get 2 Million USD

He does attract a huge Audience (Mostly Mexican)
KO-KING is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #42
megavolt
Constantly Shadowboxing
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

• Quote:
    Floyd = American unlike Pacquiao, PPV vs PPV - is the sales from USA
    Too bad so sad man, $$ is what matters and overseas sales are dog crap
  • Quote:
    Floyd works with Golden Boy, Who put on Great Undercards - In his last 2 fights he has had Morales, Canelo and Mosley, who on their own sell a lot of PPV's
    I'm sure there will be adjustments for this
  • Quote:
    Pacquiao is with that peice of shit Arum, He outright refuses to put a good undercard on - He was once asked why not put Donaire on the undercard - Arum: 'That's the Last thing I want'
    this point is actually just a continuation of the last point
  • Quote:
    Floyd Fights far more less, so people have the feeling that the fight might once a event fight, so they spend their money - E.g. if the PPV was $60 - A person may set themselve a budget of $60 dollars to spend on a certain fighter, so they often buy 1 out of 2/3, with floyd they can buy every single one
    This is a point I came out with as well. The natural response is "there were 8 month gaps" between X and Y fights but the fact remains that the fights are once per calendar year and people take note of that. However, this is one of the few real points in favor of Pacquiao, we'll have to wait till the bradley numbers come in as Floyd imo has the negotiating edge overall atm
megavolt is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #43
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

Quote:
Which part

He Did get 2 Million USD

He does attract a huge Audience (Mostly Mexican)
Canelo only got 1 million, and because he is the champion, not because of all of the extra PPV buys he gets. C'mon now, nice objectivity.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #44
KO-KING
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
Canelo only got 1 million, and because he is the champion, not because of all of the extra PPV buys he gets. C'mon now, nice objectivity.
He got 2, well that's what the commentator's said

Your telling Me that Canelo doesn't add to the PPV card? - now that is bullshit

'because he is the champion' - That doesn't mean shit, champions hardly ever get paid that much

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JRjLD6D2lo&feature=related[/ame] - 5:55 '2 Million Dollars'
KO-KING is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #45
catnthehat
Pac doesn't deserve 50/50
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAnthony View Post
I only look at recent ppv numbers as IMO that's all that matters.

I'll only go back about 3 fights max cos fighters popularities go up and down.

For example not many casuals new who manny was when he fought oscar.

SO personaly i find numbers further than a couple of years old irrelevant myself.

But i appreciate the effort you made putting that together. You should email that to Goldenboy or something
They already know...When I conversate on here, i'm not conversating about what YOU or what I think they'll use with the fights.

I'm looking at it the most objective way possible...So COMMON OPPONENTS is the most objective way possible. NOBODY just "picks" a year or a fight...it's all COMMON OPPONENTS.
catnthehat is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum