Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
hookfromhell
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 427
Default Foreman vs Frazier 1

One of my favorite fights. Absolutely devastating display by Foreman.
Mad Props to Joe for getting up everytime. Anyway, was anyone
following boxing in 73? Im assuming Frazier was favored. What was
the impact on the boxing world? Was Foreman considered unbeatable
after the fight? Was anyone in attendance at the fight. Has my vote
for most devastating title change.
hookfromhell is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
AREA 53
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Foreman vs Frazier 1

A more devastating title change than Liston Patterson ? Albeit i suspect a few more people probably expected the stoney faced one to do it !

Only one british newspaper journalist (walter Bartleman) had foreman to win in his evening standard preview and became the toast of Fleet Street (the British Newspaper Area of the time (with plenty of Pubs that the Journalist used to gather in) - British Trade paper Boxing News had Frazier to "Grind Foreman down to a Fine Powder" by the 8th

Many of course were stunned, but Since the Fight of the Century with Ali, Joe had Drifted through a couple of Soft Touches in Daniels and Stander, many felt that the Ali fight had left its mark and underestimating Foreman had also led to
This Ambush ! as i recall it was the Devestating Norton Blowout that confirmed for many the Foreman Status as unbeatable Monster, - They didnt Bank on Ali being intent on a spot of Dragon Slaying !

They were very exciting times in the Heavyweigfht division with Guys Like Lyle and Shavers also entering their nominations for Ring Monster of the year.
AREA 53 is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
Skins
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Back then it was hard to find out the result of a fight, no tv or radio coverage of this one. I had to listen to the local news radio program every 15 minutes for a sports update, and when the result came on I was shocked beyond words (Big Joe Frazier fan). At first I thought it must have been a bad cut, the report was saying TKO by Foreman and I couldn't believe Joe could be ko'd in 2 like that. When I finally heard what happened I was shocked
Skins is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Don't want to start a full scale riot but am I the only person in the world who thought the first knockdown looked a bit wierd - not saying bogus - just have watched it a million times and slowed it down and fall all the world I can't see anything other than Fraziers knee dipping down before the uppercut lands - straight up it it starts to go before the punch lands - I reckon Frazier actually slipped and may have hastened his executioners onslaught in part by making think he had him when he maybe didn't? I don't know I just can't fathom why the leg went before the punch?? Obviously everything else that followed is there for the eye to see but that first one was wierd anyone else see it??
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Wlad gets knock down and gets up every time and the ref stops it(Wlad was never knock out, only stop) and he has a glass jaw.

Frazier gets knock down and gets up every time and he has some iron chin. funny how this world works.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Frazier took a dive.

Just not in the traditional sense.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockysSplitNose View Post
Don't want to start a full scale riot but am I the only person in the world who thought the first knockdown looked a bit wierd - not saying bogus - just have watched it a million times and slowed it down and fall all the world I can't see anything other than Fraziers knee dipping down before the uppercut lands - straight up it it starts to go before the punch lands - I reckon Frazier actually slipped and may have hastened his executioners onslaught in part by making think he had him when he maybe didn't? I don't know I just can't fathom why the leg went before the punch?? Obviously everything else that followed is there for the eye to see but that first one was wierd anyone else see it??

Rocky,,,,,,,

I thought the same thing,,,,,,,,,but in truth,,,,,,,,'Smokin Joe' was stunned
before the 'first knockdown'.

Joe, when hurt, always did a little 'leg dance',,,,
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
JWSoats
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Frazier was a 3-1 favorite. Most sportswriters picked Frazier to wear him down and stop him in the middle rounds. Some wrote that it would be good experience for Foreman in a future title challenge. Only a few, notably Howard Cosell, said "I'm afraid - that Foreman might kill him." Based on past performances, Frazier was rightfully the favorite. Big, relatively slow-moving men had been his cup of tea. The expectation was that following the Daniels and Stander bouts, Frazier was starting to gear up for the long anticipated rematch with Ali, and Foreman would be the perfect opponent - highly rated, yet still green and made to order for Joe.

I watched Frazier-Foreman I on closed circuit TV at a theatre. Joe Louis picked Foreman to win, saying that Foreman was a "much better puncher" than Frazier, to the shock of the color commentators. The pre-fight staredowns drew huge reactions from the crowd, as did the first knockdown. My first thought was that Joe will get up, get to work, and win. The way he went down from the second knockdown it appeared that he was down for the count. I was hoping that after the minute's rest that he would be recovered, but that was not to be.

Boxing was really turned upside down from this result. Joe Frazier, who had appeared to be the undefeated, invincible champion, was now completely dismissed as washed-up with calls for him to retire. The Ali-Frazier rematch was written off, and even moreso after Ali lost to Norton some two months later. Foreman looked very impressive and imposing in winning the title. Ali was considered a viable threat until he lost to Norton, and Foreman was then genuinely regarded as the best heavy around. After Ali's two bouts with Norton and Foreman's destruction of Norton, Foreman was thought invincible. More than that, it was feared that he might actually kill other fighters in the ring.
JWSoats is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #9
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238 View Post
Wlad gets knock down and gets up every time and the ref stops it(Wlad was never knock out, only stop) and he has a glass jaw.

Frazier gets knock down and gets up every time and he has some iron chin. funny how this world works.
Your comparing foreman's punching power to Ross purity, lamon Brewster and Sanders. Although sanders can bang he's nowhere near on foreman's level. Also wlad doesn't get knocked down that much, it looks to me that he, rather ingeniously takes a fairly small shot and drops to the floor fully knowing that one big punch could finish him off.
Webbiano is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Rocky,,,,,

Here is the breakdown,,,,,,

At 1:04 - George lands a right uppercut and left hook, while Joe is back near the ropes, near Foreman's corner. (The first punches to shake Joe).

At 1:08 - While Joe is up against the ropes, George lands a very good left hook to Joe's jaw, which knocks Joe off-balance to his left and lifts his right leg up off the canvas.

Note: Later, Angelo Dundee said; 'that punch was the one that hurt Joe bad'.

At 1:27 - George lands a real good right uppercut to Joe's jaw. (Angelo Dundee tells Howard Cosell that Frazier is hurt.)

At 1:35 - George lands a 'Howitzer of a left jab' that snaps Joe'e head back (Joe is dazed by the punch)

At 1:38 - George lands a grazing straight right on the top of Joe's head, and a left hook high on Joe's forehead. (Joe is stunned)

At 1:41 -George lands a solid left hook to Joe's right glove which is next to his jaw. (The
power of that punch went through Joe's glove and the force crashed into Joe's jaw).

1:42 - Joe does a 'little dance', and is hurt.

At 1:43 - George shoots a real hard left jab, that hurts Joe bad, and drives him back
on his heels.

Next as George moves in to throw the right uppercut, Joe is ducking down and right
into the path of a 'RPF' (Rocket Propelled Fist).

Next moment BOOM!!!!------------------Joe has been hit by an 'RPF' and crashed.

Last edited by Senor Pepe'; 05-18-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #11
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbiano View Post
Your comparing foreman's punching power to Ross purity, lamon Brewster and Sanders. Although sanders can bang he's nowhere near on foreman's level. Also wlad doesn't get knocked down that much, it looks to me that he, rather ingeniously takes a fairly small shot and drops to the floor fully knowing that one big punch could finish him off.

Its selective history, honestly.

Wlad was exhausted against Purrity. Stopped on being unable to defend himself. Not all that rocked.

Never actually went down from punches against Brewster. Took a standing 8 after absorbing several massive shots, then collapses from exhaustion.

Peter knocked him down once legitimately, and Sanders bounced him around the ring, absolutely.

But the sentiment that Wlad goes down whenever hit solidly is false and ignorant.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #12
hookfromhell
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 427

Thanks everyone. Great info. Please dont mention Wlad in
a Foreman thread.
hookfromhell is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #13
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Purity didnt drop Wlad.

I just saying that Frazier gets credit for this chin even though he was drop, Foreman and Ali II right off my mind, and we give him credit for this chin(Which he has)

I dont think Wlad has a glass jaw himself, but people act like one good shot would knock him out, even though he was never ko'd. Just stop.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Good Guy,,,,,,,,,,,'Joe Frazier'

Just one-month after losing to George Foreman in Jamaica on January 22, 1973 -

Joe Frazier appeared on 'The Dick Cavett Show' - February 21, 1973

Joe was very humble and good natured -

Telling Dick Cavett, and guests Jack Benny and Bill Cosby that he would not lose another fight in 1973 -
because he wasn't going to fight again in 1973.

Joe was not shy about admitting to losing to George Foreman, stating that it was
'fair and square', and that he watched a replay of the fight, and he admitted that
'I made alot of mistakes out there that I shouldn't, because I was more experienced
than George. He caught me with some wicked shots.'

'It's back to the drawing board now, and I have to be a little more careful out there.'
Old 05-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #15
cuchulain
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookfromhell View Post
One of my favorite fights. Absolutely devastating display by Foreman.
Mad Props to Joe for getting up everytime. Anyway, was anyone
following boxing in 73?
Im assuming Frazier was favored. What was
the impact on the boxing world?
Was Foreman considered unbeatable
after the fight?
Was anyone in attendance at the fight. Has my vote
for most devastating title change.
Yes.

Yes.

Shock.

Yes.

Not me, but there was a crowd (lots of Jamaicans !)

Ring's FOTY.
cuchulain is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum