Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Overall more skilled?
Whitaker 21 70.00%
Sanchez 9 30.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #16
THE EXPERT
Journeyman

vCash: 500
Default Re: The overall more skilled fighter: Whitaker or Sanchez?

Whitaker is the answer here. Sanchez was outstanding at keeping his range against his opponents. The problem he had with nelson was that nelson was able to take him out of his comfort range and that affected his ability to defend. Whitaker was/is able to fight at close quarters or at long range. The biggest deal is this, whitaker was better at fighting sanchez' style than sanchez was, (imo) and whitaker was also a much better infighter as well. Too many tools to use for whitaker so he gets the nod.
THE EXPERT is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #17
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.
vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Not close B, Sanchez is much more hittable, he also slapped a bit
He was more hittable... but I`ve never seen him slap, he`s probably the smoothest puncher I`ve ever seen tbh.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #18
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

2 of the most complete fighters ever, I`ve actually compared both guys in my own head but could not come up with a decisive answer so decided not to do the thread

Sanchez seemed to have utterly mastered everything that your supposed to learn, the things you get taught in the gym & his own natural ability makes it look effortless... Whitaker is more unique, he has his own style & attributes that cannot be taught to anyone else, he`s also a brilliant overall technician (just as Sanchez is)

Sanchez gets hit flush more than Whitaker even tho he does have a good D himself but Sanchez`s offense causes more damage.

If pushed I`d give Whitaker a slight edge but in reality both were near perfect fighters that had small edges over each other in certain areas.

Last edited by Bill Butcher; 05-23-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #19
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Whitaker proved far more against far better opposition ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 01:24 AM   #20
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EXPERT View Post
Whitaker is the answer here. Sanchez was outstanding at keeping his range against his opponents. The problem he had with nelson was that nelson was able to take him out of his comfort range and that affected his ability to defend.
Sanchez was superb at close quarters. Destroyed Gomez there for one thing. Actually, he had his least succes at distance with Nelson, it was when he did mix it up he finallly got the uppe hand, even though he took some good licks himself on the way.
Bokaj is online now  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 01:26 AM   #21
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
Whitaker proved far more against far better opposition ...
Which fighters did he beat that were far better than Lopez, Gomez and Nelson?
Bokaj is online now  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 01:29 AM   #22
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

I haven't watched that much of Whitaker lately except for the first four round in McGirt II the other day, but for me he's more the natural while Sanchez is more the text book fighter. Sanchez didn't cross his feet or leap straight back, for example, nor did he loop his straight right as much as Whitaker looped his left.
Bokaj is online now  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 03:22 AM   #23
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 79

Obviously they're both brilliant. Defensively, Whitaker's more skilled. Salvador's the more skilled offensive technician.

Flip a coin, and take your pick. Today, I'm digging Salvador's ruthlessly efficient and accurate punch placement and the footwork that gives him more power on every shot in his combinations.
Rock0052 is online now  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #24
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock0052 View Post
Obviously they're both brilliant. Defensively, Whitaker's more skilled. Salvador's the more skilled offensive technician.
Whitaker probably had the slightly better reflexes and "radar", but I don't really see any flaws in Sanchez' defense from a technical perspective. He holds his hands well, slips and rolls just as he's supposed to, and has magnificient footwork in the fights I've seen him in. And they're all against top class opposition.
Bokaj is online now  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #25
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
Which fighters did he beat that were far better than Lopez, Gomez and Nelson?
Gomez was fighting out of his weight class and past his prime and Nelson was a 13 fight novice .. Danny Lopez was a warrior but not a great fighter by any means as the Sanchez fights proved ...

Whitaker easily defeated a far better Nelson who was out of his weight class but still at the top of his game .. Ramirez, McGirt twice, Chavez ( who he dominated but received a draw that everyone knew he won) and far past his own prime and his best weight fighting Oscar to a near standstill and then even later being very competitive with a prime Tito ...

IN addition, in his prime Whitaker rarely lost rounds in fights, he was that dominant while Sanchez often fought down to his opponents having several close title defenses against modest competition ..

No knock on Sanchez but Whiter was one step higher in class ..
he grant is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #26
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Gomez was fighting out of his weight class and past his prime and Nelson was a 13 fight novice ..Danny Lopez was a warrior but not a great fighter by any means as the Sanchez fights proved ...
So you penalize Sanchez for beating him easily? Strange reasoning and close to circular logic.

Gomez was a clear favourite going in to the fight with Sanchez for what it's worth. But like a trillion other fighters on this forum he seems to be declared past prime in hind-sight.

That a more experienced Nelson, but also past 30 and his best weight, was far better than the one Sanchez beat is also questionable I'd say. Especially since Nelson looks very good in the fight. By that reasoning the Leonard vs Hagler could be said to be better, or at least as good, as the one against Benitez, the same with the Jones vs Tarver compared to Jones vs Hopkins etc, etc. If the older Nelson was far better than the Young one. Was McCallum vs Toney at MW also far better than McCallum vs Kalule at 154? One shouldn't be blinded by numbers.

Last edited by Bokaj; 05-24-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Bokaj is online now  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #27
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Quote:
So you penalize Sanchez for beating him easily? Strange reasoning and close to circular logic.

Gomez was a clear favourite going in to the fight with Sanchez for what it's worth. But like a trillion other fighters on this forum he seems to be declared past prime in hind-sight.

That a more experienced Nelson, but also past 30 and his best weight, was far better than the one Sanchez beat is also questionable I'd say. Especially since Nelson looks very good in the fight. By that reasoning the Leonard vs Hagler could be said to be better, or at least as good, as the one against Benitez, the same with the Jones vs Tarver compared to Jones vs Hopkins etc, etc. If the older Nelson was far better than the Young one. Was McCallum vs Hopkins at MW also far better than McCallum vs Kalule at 154? One shouldn't be blinded by numbers.
Gomez being a favorite was worth the result.

So your saying that you think the 13 fight Nelson was better than the Nelson that post Whitaker went on to crush Fenech, Ruelas, Leija and decision Calvin Grove ? What do you base it on ? I don't think it's close ... in addition, Whitaker beat this version by a wider margin than Sanchez was at the time of the stoppage ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #28
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Gomez being a favorite was worth the result.

So your saying that you think the 13 fight Nelson was better than the Nelson that post Whitaker went on to crush Fenech, Ruelas, Leija and decision Calvin Grove ?
No. Nowhere was I saying that.

I was only questioning that the older Nelson fighting out of his best weight was far better than the younger version. I don't think he looked far better to start with.

But that's really digressing from the subject. This a comparison about skill, not record. No one disputes that Whitaker wins hands down in the latter category.
Bokaj is online now  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #29
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Quote:
No. Nowhere was I saying that.

I was only questioning that the older Nelson fighting out of his best weight was far better than the younger version. I don't think he looked far better to start with.

But that's really digressing from the subject. This a comparison about skill, not record. No one disputes that Whitaker wins hands down in the latter category.
So in other words you were splitting hairs for no reason ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #30
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
So in other words you were splitting hairs for no reason ...
No, I was calling you on BS.
Bokaj is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum