Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 05-17-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

vCash: 1200
Post Lennox Lewis Backs British Board To Stop Haye-Chisora

From Sport.ru...

Heavyweight great Lennox Lewis is not in favor of the July 14th showdown between Dereck Chisora and David Haye. The West Ham battle, taking place at Upton Park, is under fire from the British Boxing Board of Control. The governing organization is trying to force promoter to cancel the fight. Neither Haye or Chisora hold a license with the board, which forced Frank ****** to obtain an outside governing body to sanction the event.

Lewis like the actual fight, but doesn't believe it should happen until Chisora takes a few anger management courses. Lewis wasn't happy with Chisora's behavior back in February, where he slapped Vitali Klitschko at a weigh-in, spit water in Wladimir Klitschko's face and brawled with Haye at a post-fight press conference. Chisora's actions led the British Board to strip him of his license.

“We are going through a disciplinary process right now and the British Boxing Board of Control is handling that. Should they be allowed to fight? Sure - but only when the time is right, when the disciplinary process has run its course. Chisora did a couple of bad things which, in football terms, brought the game into disrepute, and although he has apologized, that is not enough. Maybe he needs anger management therapy, some outside help, to draw a line under what happened in Germany,” Lewis told The Mirror.

“I don’t think there can ever be justification for going behind the British board’s back. We all know the board is there for a reason, and they made a decision to suspend Chisora’s license in good faith, so to go around their jurisdiction is pretty poor, it’s in poor taste. And for two boxers from England to go abroad and behave in that manner was damaging for the country’s image. Slapping your opponent at the weigh-in, spitting in another champion’s face in the ring, throwing a punch while holding a bottle and threatening to shoot a fellow boxer was all way over the top."

Maybe Lewis wants G$ora on them zoroloff horse-tranquilisers he had Shot Tyson on?

I'm a huge fan of Lewis, but I'm strongly opposed to his stance against this British Superfight.
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
Joe.Boxer
Chinchecker
ESB Addict

vCash: 240
Default Re: Lennox Lewis Backs British Board To Stop Haye-Chisora

'The Lion' has spoken.
Joe.Boxer is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 81

Is this the same Lennox Lewis that had pre-fight brawls with Rahman and Tyson?
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
phonk
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I'd back Lewis to stop both Haye and Chisora on the same night after filming a cameo for Oceans 12.
phonk is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

vCash: 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C84 View Post
Indeed, & i'm sure he smacked Tyson with a big righthand to start the brawl, before he was bitten on the leg by the human pitbull.
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalasinn View Post
Indeed, & i'm sure he smacked Tyson with a big righthand to start the brawl, before he was bitten on the leg by the human pitbull.
Amazing how some boxers have such selective memory's.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C84 View Post
Vano-Irons is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 469

There is an interesting disconnection on this issue between the general hardcore fancy, who for instance would be on a boxing forum, and the general public.

The good thing is, as much as boxing shoots itself in the foot the general/casual fan still has an attachment to this sport, and thus shows it's contempt for the fight. It does show this sport is special, and people with only a small interest in boxing care.

As much as the hardcore want to see Chisora/Haye, perhaps they should look at the whole picture and make an unselfish decision and help the sport's perception by disowning the fight.

By taking the 'high ground', morally their arguments would then carry more weight, when trying to resolve other boxing problems such as alphabet organizations corruption and perceived flaws in such organizations as the British Boxing Board of Control, as far as refereeing, judging and general disconnections with the fancy are concerned.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #9
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalasinn View Post

I would take anything printed in The Daily Mirror with a fistful of salt!

Lennox Lewis is a clever man, and I'm sure the irony would not be lost on him if he did make such comments..

I would not be surprised if he has been misquoted here
Michael300 is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #10
ollyc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 876

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
The good thing is, as much as boxing shoots itself in the foot the general/casual fan still has an attachment to this sport, and thus shows it's contempt for the fight. It does show this sport is special, and people with only a small interest in boxing care.
Nope. The casual fan wants to see this fight. Whilst anecdotal evidence is hardly scientific, I think most of us on here will relate tales of previously ambivalent friends showing an interest in watching this fight.

It's the columnists who've demonstrated their opposition to this fight (and a correlative ignorance of the sport's history).
ollyc is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #11
DanielJFiasco
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 565

In fairness to Lennox, the anger management classes etc would have been a better way of dealing with it than the indefinite license ban.

And times have changed since Lennox was involved in brawls. I'm not condoning what he did, but once upon a time we used to drown women to see if they were witches, but it doesn't mean that we can't be punished for it in todays world.

I don't think anybody had a problem with the fact Chisora was punished, it was the form the punishment took that caused the issue.
DanielJFiasco is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #12
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyc View Post
Nope. The casual fan wants to see this fight. Whilst anecdotal evidence is hardly scientific, I think most of us on here will relate tales of previously ambivalent friends showing an interest in watching this fight.

It's the columnists who've demonstrated their opposition to this fight (and a correlative ignorance of the sport's history).
The media would pick on the excitement and their 'experts' would then adjust their opinions thus. This adjustment has yet to happen...

But it should be noted, there probably will be a good live gate, and the media have an initial bias with the SKY (and thus 'Murdoch media') and Boxing Nation relationship.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #13
ollyc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 876

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
The media would pick on the excitement and their 'experts' would then adjust their opinions thus. This adjustment has yet to happen...
The media have already picked up on the excitement, hence the amount of commentary outside of the sports pages.
ollyc is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #14
Threetime no1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1537

I don't think Lennox gives a shit about a Frank ****** card or fighter.

1.He doesn't like allegedly and vice versa.
2.Del Boy thought Vitali beat him.

It makes sense why he would go against it. Maybe i'm wrong and he is being genuine about Del Boy anger management?!?
Threetime no1 is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #15
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyc View Post
The media have already picked up on the excitement, hence the amount of commentary outside of the sports pages.
Absolutely, the argument is nothing to do with publicity, that is very high. The argument is with the debate over whether the fight should happen.
TBooze is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum