Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 05-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
dayuum
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default How come Henry Tilman could beat Tyson in the amateurs but got ktfo in his pro career

I know from own experience that a headguard really doesn't do that much
dayuum is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
aramini
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How come Henry Tilman could beat Tyson in the amateurs but got ktfo in his pro ca

bigger gloves, completely different rules, Tyson was more mature. Some guys are awesome amateur fighters and never live up to their amateur domination (mark breland).

Not quite a prime tyson and just 2 oz on a glove and no headgear makes a pretty big difference in impact. I would fight a 147 lb amateur with am rules and expect to make it out of the first round. Not a 147 lb journeyman with pro rules.

It really is different. Hearns had almost no stoppages in the ams. He matured and the pro style just suited him better.

Also, though maybe not in this case, a hard knock out is harder to get in the ams because there are so many standing counts when you are in a corner or a good blow lands, so you can't accumulate on people in "trouble"
aramini is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
Peppermint
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: How come Henry Tilman could beat Tyson in the amateurs but got ktfo in his pro ca

Pros is A LOT different the amatuers. It doesnt always translate
Peppermint is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

It rarely happens. Ruelas spanked Oscar in the AMs and got absolutely crushed in the pros.

It's why I laugh when people show highlight vids of Golovkin in the AMs like that makes a difference.
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
Dorfmeister
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Amateur Boxing doesn't mean all that much, Henry Tillman, Tyrell Biggs, Jorge Luis Gonzales, that's why I don't take for granted that Cubans like T Stevenson would do better than guys such as Ali.
Dorfmeister is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 36829

It seems like there's been a new thread made about this every month since I made the first Tillman thread of the year (in which this question was answered):

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
daprofessor
da legendary professor
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayuum View Post
I know from own experience that a headguard really doesn't do that much
have u seen that fight?

from what i can recall....many believed tyson beat the shit out of tilman. he dropped him more than once too....but tilman got the decision. supposedly...they(judges/coach's/etc) felt mike fought too much like a pro and tilmans style was more suited for the olympics. sounds like the usual bullshit to me.
daprofessor is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
Caelum
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Tyson was matured "FIGHTER" by the time he met Tillman in the Pros. And they are debatable fights.

Just watch his amateur fight and compare it to the way he fought for the Pros.

He got better with each pro fight from a Mental and Technical side. Don't forget how young he still was.
Caelum is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
Jr Middleweight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Because its a different animal. This is why I laugh when cubans try and pretend they would be the goats of the sport when there boring amateurs turn pro.
Jr Middleweight is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 36829

Quote:
Originally Posted by daprofessor View Post
have u seen that fight?

from what i can recall....many believed tyson beat the shit out of tilman. he dropped him more than once too....but tilman got the decision. supposedly...they(judges/coach's/etc) felt mike fought too much like a pro and tilmans style was more suited for the olympics. sounds like the usual bullshit to me.

Usual bullshit? They are two different sports.

Tillman earned both decisions.

Knockdowns don't mean as much in the amateurs. It isn't like you get a 10-8 or 10-7 round for scoring a KD or two. That isn't how the scoring works.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #11
sugarrayhatton
The Paddy
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Audley Harrison
sugarrayhatton is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #12
daprofessor
da legendary professor
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post

Usual bullshit? They are two different sports.

Tillman earned both decisions.

Knockdowns don't mean as much in the amateurs. It isn't like you get a 10-8 or 10-7 round for scoring a KD or two. That isn't how the scoring works.
i know about amateur boxing. i used to box. i'm a coach now. tillman missed a lot. tyson landed very clean telling blows and more of them from what i can recall. i'll have to watch the fight again to be certain.
daprofessor is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #13
Caelum
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfmeister View Post
Amateur Boxing doesn't mean all that much, Henry Tillman, Tyrell Biggs, Jorge Luis Gonzales, that's why I don't take for granted that Cubans like T Stevenson would do better than guys such as Ali.
There was an interesting article a while back that discussed how people get to over-hyped about the Cubans had they turned pro. Some pro fighters gave their opinions in it. I also think it discussed how some of these guys got stopped in the amateurs as well...like Felix Savon who I think may have been stopped more than once.

If I recall, Felix Savon was offered a fight with Tyson and turned it down. Tyson wanted it. Felix did not. I think he said something about not needing the money because he fought for something important.

I also read he thought he would have won because of what Lennox did to Tyson and what he did to Tua (years after the fact that he turned down Tyson)

fact is, he had his chance and he ran from millions. He could have always given those millions to his beloved Cuba.

Overall, I wouldn't discount all the cuban fighters. Some would have been successful. Maybe even some that weren't as successful amateurs but could make it as good pros. We'll never know.
Caelum is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #14
dbouziane
East Side Guru

how come taylor could beat pavlik in the ams and then got left for dead in a corner in his pro career?

ams and pros are two different animals.
dbouziane is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 04:35 AM   #15
eagleskins
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Tyson was the most overrated and babied fighter of all time. He never beat a B fighter or better in the pros. One of the softest fighters of all time. Great talent, but soft as charmin
eagleskins is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum