Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 05-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Cormier on Josh Barnetts Generation

Quote:
"Back in the day, if a guy had a leg lock, he could be a world champion," Cormier said. "Well, the game's changed now, and it's advanced. All that stuff doesn't really pertain to me."
I like Cormier but reeeeally dude?

Who does he think Barnett is 2005 Ken Shamrock? He better be careful he doesn't eat his own words. Whilst he's a live favourite Barnett has oodles more experience and savvy than him. Matter of fact he could even loose by a patented JB heel hook.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166
Default Re: Cormier on Josh Barnetts Generation

The wrestling level of the game is higher nowadays in the MMA....in comparison with Barnetts era....
But for Barnett this is not a big problem....even so, perhaps we can say that this is the best wrestler Barnett will face in his whole career, I read an interview where Barnett confess that he has envy of Cormier because of his history in wrestling.....

Anyway I hope Barnett gets a submission and face Cigano in the UFC in the future (if Cigano beats Mir).....
Barnett is a bad ass motha****a highly skilled grappler.....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Chubby guy with shit technique but powerful punches and questionable cardio with little/zero submission experience...hmmm

Im so glad we've evolved from wrestlers with right hands...
Stoo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-JofreBRASIL View Post
The wrestling level of the game is higher nowadays in the MMA....in comparison with Barnetts era....
But for Barnett this is not a big problem....even so, perhaps we can say that this is the best wrestler Barnett will face in his whole career, I read an interview where Barnett confess that he has envy of Cormier because of his history in wrestling.....

Anyway I hope Barnett gets a submission and face Cigano in the UFC in the future (if Cigano beats Mir).....
Barnett is a bad ass motha****a highly skilled grappler.....
Really? I'm sure not seeing it. When was the last time you've seen an Olympic calibre wrestler dominate on the mat at heavy?
And the best wrestlers Barnett faced were Dan Severn and Randy Couture.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post

Chubby guy with shit technique but powerful punches and questionable cardio with little/zero submission experience...hmmm

Im so glad we've evolved from wrestlers with right hands...
This is the problem. Fans repeat the same crap Goldberg says. The sport is evolving blah bla...You have to be well rounded bla bla. What's really happened is the playing field has levelled and fighters simply aren't deficient in one or many aspects any more. Everyone cross trains. So everyone's average at everything but rarely excel at one thing.
Cormiers a stud. But the best wrestler Barnett's ever faced? Not even close.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
Woodworm
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
This is the problem. Fans repeat the same crap Goldberg says. The sport is evolving blah bla...You have to be well rounded bla bla. What's really happened is the playing field has levelled and fighters simply aren't deficient in one or many aspects any more. Everyone cross trains. So everyone's average at everything but rarely excel at one thing.
Cormiers a stud. But the best wrestler Barnett's ever faced? Not even close.
I agree with the first part, but I think you're wrong on the bit I highlighted. Who has Barnett fought with better wrestling credentials than Cormier?
Woodworm is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Really? I'm sure not seeing it. When was the last time you've seen an Olympic calibre wrestler dominate on the mat at heavy?
And the best wrestlers Barnett faced were Dan Severn and Randy Couture.
Hmm, at heavy I canīt remember.......but itīs getting tough to top grapplers do their stuff against top wrestlers nowadays ......Thatīs my doubt in this fight, if Barnett will be able to takedown Cormier or control the actions in the ground.....

Damn. True about Couture and Severn, forgot them......not sure if Cormier is not at the same level or even better than them though.....at wrestling.....
Old 05-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworm View Post
I agree with the first part, but I think you're wrong on the bit I highlighted. Who has Barnett fought with better wrestling credentials than Cormier?
In MMA Severn and Couture applied their wrestling far more effectively than Cormier for my money.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
In MMA Severn and Couture applied their wrestling far more effectively than Cormier for my money.
Definitely I agree with this.......but Cormier has the potencial do the same, at least in theory we have to believe in that....no reason to not to....
Old 05-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-JofreBRASIL View Post
Definitely I agree with this.......but Cormier has the potencial do the same, at least in theory we have to believe in that....no reason to not to....
O most definitely. I'm a big fan of Cormier. He's shown a lot of promise. I just think he's way off base with his statement. You simply can't write off the experience Barnett has when Cormiers only had 9 fights.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #11
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

He has a point. More fighters are more well rounded and it is harder to get the victory. CC didn't evolve, neither did Fedor, Nog tried to but perhaps it was too late. Similar for Fedor and CC maybe. Barnett seems to be doing okay, maybe because he has the best base in wrestling and throws the jits and hands on top.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #12
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
He has a point. More fighters are more well rounded and it is harder to get the victory. CC didn't evolve, neither did Fedor, Nog tried to but perhaps it was too late. Similar for Fedor and CC maybe. Barnett seems to be doing okay, maybe because he has the best base in wrestling and throws the jits and hands on top.
Except every fighter Fedor lost to was a veteran of the sport that certainly didn't represent this so called evolution of MMA.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #13
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
O most definitely. I'm a big fan of Cormier. He's shown a lot of promise. I just think he's way off base with his statement. You simply can't write off the experience Barnett has when Cormiers only had 9 fights.
Is he talking about Barnett though? I mean he kind of has a point about the early days as a lot of guys had no ****ing idea about how to avoid/escape basic BJJ subs. MMA and the UFC in particular was about pitting different disciplines against each other ie Boxer V Wrestler V JJ player V Karate guy. There is no way in hell that Royce Gracie could win a GP style tourney if there was one today and there were no weight classes back then, he just knew some shit that everyone else was oblivious to. If he IS talking about Barnet it's just pre fight hyperbole to point out that he has only trained fought in a much more rounded and complete era rather than bridging the sport as it, wait for it..........evolved. So maybe he feels he has experienced a lot of shit in a short space of time thus shortening the gap in experience between him and Josh.
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #14
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
What you mean didnt evolve?

Cro Cop developed from the guy taken down by Wandy when he 1st came over to the best sprawl and brawler in the game barring maybe Liddel. Nog was a JJ guy with decent hands who just got old, and is now training the UFC Champ, who's a boxer with decent Jits. Fedor was a TD + GNP guy who slowly added subs and strikes and did pretty damn well at both. And the only up and comer Fedor fought was Brett ****ing Rodgers, you saw how evolved he was compared to the guys who did eventually beat Fedor...And I think Barnett is much more skilled than Cormier, but time will tell if he's past it or not. And if he's not and Dan beats him fair and square, I'll give Cormier full credit. But I wont call him more evolved

I hate this ''evolved'' bullshit when it's taken for granted.
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #15
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL BULLY View Post
Is he talking about Barnett though? I mean he kind of has a point about the early days as a lot of guys had no ****ing idea about how to avoid/escape basic BJJ subs. MMA and the UFC in particular was about pitting different disciplines against each other ie Boxer V Wrestler V JJ player V Karate guy. There is no way in hell that Royce Gracie could win a GP style tourney if there was one today and there were no weight classes back then, he just knew some shit that everyone else was oblivious to. If he IS talking about Barnet it's just pre fight hyperbole to point out that he has only trained fought in a much more rounded and complete era rather than bridging the sport as it, wait for it..........evolved. So maybe he feels he has experienced a lot of shit in a short space of time thus shortening the gap in experience between him and Josh.
Well if its not in reference to Barnett why mention a wry anecdote like that? Royce or Shamrock are hardly a bench mark to measure the sport by now when both are as good as retired.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum