Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 05-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103
Default How many times was Price KO'd as an amateur?

Pony up. Let's get the facts out. How many times did Price get KO'd as an amateur?
kenmore is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Clydebank Blitz
Don't Be Scared Homie
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 454
Default Re: How many times was Price KO'd as an amateur?

Why does it matter?
Clydebank Blitz is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
kwyjibo
O RLY?
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmore View Post
Pony up. Let's get the facts out. How many times did Price get KO'd as an amateur?
After a quick search, all I could find was this: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
kwyjibo is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
AnthonyW
ESB Official Gif Poster
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 920

The most important stat for now.

Quote:
L = 0
AnthonyW is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydebank Blitz View Post
Why does it matter?

It matters because durability isn't something that can be built up or developed. It's a physical quality -- like strength or speed -- that exists to a certain, set degree in a boxer throughout his career.

If Price was getting KO'd as an amateur, then we know he will not be especially durable as a pro.

It could be that durability is Price's Achilles Heel. You don't think this matters?
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwyjibo View Post
After a quick search, all I could find was this: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
I couldn't find much either. I'm still searching.

Camarrale stopped him, but it was an amateur-style "points" stoppage. The Italian pulled ahead 10 to 1 for an technical KO win. Do you know if Price was staggered or hurt?

Fury put Price down as an amateur, although Price won the fight.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
Clydebank Blitz
Don't Be Scared Homie
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
It matters because durability isn't something that can be built up or developed. It's a physical quality -- like strength or speed -- that exists to a certain, set degree in a boxer throughout his career.

If Price was getting KO'd as an amateur, then we know he will not be especially durable as a pro.

It could be that durability is Price's Achilles Heel. You don't think this matters?
So to try and pick out a flaw in him, you're going back to his amature days? Why dont you watch all of his fights now and see if he's ever took a hard punch? Give the guy a bit more time before you start looking to punch holes in his name.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:

What about Holmes getting starched as an amateur here and there? He was only stopped past his prime by a prime Tyson in nearly 80 pro fights and three decades. Not to mention, amateur boxing has been a little bit cunty about stoppages, in recent years. I'd have to see the actual stoppage or a description to judge what it likely means about Price, which I haven't. I'm interested though.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
So to try and pick out a flaw in him, you're going back to his amature days? Why dont you watch all of his fights now and see if he's ever took a hard punch? Give the guy a bit more time before you start looking to punch holes in his name.

Stop talking like a fool. Do you really believe that when an amateur takes out a professional license, that the boxer magically develops all "good" physical qualities, and no longer carries the same weaknesses exhibited as a pro?

I'm not trying to "punch holes" in Price's game. I'm just trying to give him a full, well-rounded analytical dust-up. We already know he has devastating offensive capabilities against stationary targets. Now, I want to look under the hood, to see what else Price is made out of.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
Clydebank Blitz
Don't Be Scared Homie
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Stop talking like a fool. Do you really believe that when an amateur takes out a professional license, that the boxer magically develops all "good" physical qualities, and no longer carries the same weaknesses exhibited as a pro?

I'm not trying to "punch holes" in Price's game. I'm just trying to give him a full, well-rounded analytical dust-up. We already know he has devastating offensive capabilities against stationary targets. Now, I want to look under the hood, to see what else Price is made out of.
Expected you were one of the many premature anti-Price names. A lot of them already plauging the place. Carry on then.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #11
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
What about Holmes getting starched as an amateur here and there? He was only stopped past his prime by a prime Tyson in nearly 80 pro fights and three decades. Not to mention, amateur boxing has been a little bit cunty about stoppages, in recent years. I'd have to see the actual stoppage or a description to judge what it likely means about Price, which I haven't. I'm interested though.
I'm interested also. If the amateur stoppages were of the cuntish variety, as you point out, then that's not a bad sign for Price. But I'm interested in knowing if there's any history of him being hurt, dropped, and stopped for good cause.

Holmes is an exception to the rule, I think. With Larry, the problem early wasn't really his chin: it was more a case of him being skinny and gangly, especially around the legs. When Holmes got dropped, he wasn't so much hurt as he was physically knocked over. Later, Holmes filled out in the legs and lower body, and was much sturdier.

As for the Tyson loss, that doesn't prove that Holmes's durability decreased. The real problem by then (198 is that Holmes no longer had the perfect reflexes and speed necessary to avoid big bombs. For the first time since his amateur days, he was getting caught. Against a prime Tyson, that's a death sentence.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
connorcinhull
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 248088

13(11)-0-0.

Amateurs are different to pros.. Who cares?
connorcinhull is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #13
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Expected you were one of the many premature anti-Price names. A lot of them already plauging the place. Carry on then.
Fair enough: I take back my harsh words. I feared you were one of the Price groupies who would not permit any rational analysis of the guy.

Even if it turns out that Price lacks durability, that's not necessarily a career killer for him. He could compensate by developing defensive techniques that flatter his unusual height, reach and size (like Vlad and Lewis did). From there, he potentially could dominate offensively while ensuring that nobody reaches his chin (again, like Vlad and Lewis did).

On the other hand, if Price has a Vitali type chin, that is very grim news for the heavyweight division.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #14
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorcinhull View Post
13(11)-0-0.

Amateurs are different to pros.. Who cares?
Ridiculous.

It's the same fighter boxing in the amateurs as in the pros: do you believe the fighter miraculously changes qualities when he takes out his pro license?

The fighter acquires seasoning and technique as a pro, but he's still the same athlete beneath it all.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #15
Clydebank Blitz
Don't Be Scared Homie
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Fair enough: I take back my harsh words. I feared you were one of the Price groupies who would not permit any rational analysis of the guy.

Even if it turns out that Price lacks durability, that's not necessarily a career killer for him. He could compensate by developing defensive techniques that flatter his unusual height, reach and size (like Vlad and Lewis did). From there, he potentially could dominate offensively while ensuring that nobody reaches his chin (again, like Vlad and Lewis did).

On the other hand, if Price has a Vitali type chin, that is very grim news for the heavyweight division.
Yeah I think a lot of the big guys would struggle with a big hook from someone like Haye or the likes anyways. It's just a case of developing your style around it. Right now, Price imo gets KOed by the majority of those people. I'd see Mike Perez pretty easily knocking Price out. As he progresses through, he should be able to develop around that and use his jab and straight to keep opponents away.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum