Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
suriamarsuli
Journeyman

vCash: 500
Default Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

I've just come across Wladimir Klitschko's training schedule and I've just came to know that he does not include roadwork in his training.Instead he swim laps to build up endurance.

I've seen one person in the classic forum write that it is not encouraged for big men to do roadwork as their bigger and heavier frames might damage their knees and joints when they hit the road.

But I've also wondered if that's the case then why do old time trainers encouraged heavyweight to include a hard,long roadwork in their training schedule.And I'm not talking about small heavyweight from the old era,I'm talking about heavyweight's with the likes of Jess Willard,which if I had recalled correctly,was forced to do a very long and gruelling roadwork prior to his fight with Jack Johnson.

But I'm really wondering do boxing trainers nowadays encouraged (super)heavyweight to include roadwork in their training session,or replaced it with some activity which is much safer to their knees and joints?
What's your thought?

Note:I'm not in any way hinting or stating that Jess Willard was better than Wladimir Klitschko,the reason I'm comparing their training schedule is because they both had nearly same weight in their prime,Jess Willard and Wladimir was both 238 pounds in their respective fight against Johnson and Byrd.
suriamarsuli is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suriamarsuli View Post
I've just come across Wladimir Klitschko's training schedul.
Would you mind posting it up here, or providing a link to it? I'd be interested to see it.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Simply, Willard trained for 40+ rounds. Wlad trains for 12. Endurance was much more important for Willard than it is for Wlad. Also, they didnīt know that it will damage the joints. And then, back than they wanted the lowest weight possible because they donīt tire as fast as big guys and are faster. Nowadays, in the hw division especially, itīs the opposite.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

Part of the reason, imo, why old-timers still insisted on road work was because they didn't have the equipment that they have today, and also it's likely that they had no idea about the havoc the constant jarring of roadwork plays with large frames.

Plus, could Jeff even swim? I'm not being funny...it's a legitimate question. Lots of folk from those times couldn't swim.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury View Post
Would you mind posting it up here, or providing a link to it? I'd be interested to see it.
Me too gotta see this - bet the workouts are brutal!
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Swimming, specifically front crawl, can work the cardiovascular system nearly as hard if not as hard as running, it also may have greater cross over due to it involving more upper body movement

Road work though is great too and pushes the cardiovascular system a bit harder, I don't think it necessarily does the joints in of bigger men if they are experienced runners

Wlad also does 800m intervals in training

OP Do you have any numbers on Wlad's training times for swimming out of interest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Simply, Willard trained for 40+ rounds. Wlad trains for 12. Endurance was much more important for Willard than it is for Wlad. Also, they didnīt know that it will damage the joints. And then, back than they wanted the lowest weight possible because they donīt tire as fast as big guys and are faster. Nowadays, in the hw division especially, itīs the opposite.
You need as much stamina if not more for a 12 round fight fought at a fast pace than you do for a 40 round fought at a slow pace and I'd bet good money Wlad would beat Willard in any running distance race
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockysSplitNose View Post
Me too gotta see this - better the workouts are brutal!
I think Chef posted it once over in the general - he is Wladīs chef - including with his meal plan. Sounded yummy. So, all you need to do is to search there.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

A lot of old time fighters did not simply run, but they also swam and biked. Jeffries liked swimming and biking in addition to running and hiking in the mountains. If you are preparing to fight 20 or 25 rounds, you need all the endurance you can get. Try just sparring 20 rounds sometime against a guy who can actually fight. It isn't easy on the body and you have to be in phenomenal shape or else you will be taking a lot of punishment or hit the wall and be unable to continue. Just take a look at all the heavys today and see how many guys look like they can't wait for that 12th round bell to ring.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #9
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Modren fighters don't use roadwork as a training tool anymore because the new, improved methods allow them to throw 100 punches a round without taking a deep breath, as opposed to their archaic ancestors, who didn't have the benefit of fitness gurus. They also didn't have access to our vastly improved modern diet, like protein shakes and apples.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If a fighter wants to swim to build endurance, that's all good.
If a fighter wants to run long distance to build endurance, that's good too.
Another fighter might just do sprints or short distance runs (say, 800 m), with rest intervals, to build endurance.
There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Contrary to some opinions, methods of training for strength and/or stamina are fairly basic .... it's NOT rocket science.
Legend X is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #11
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan View Post
modren fighters don't use roadwork as a training tool anymore because the new, improved methods allow them to throw 100 punches a round without taking a deep breath, as opposed to their archaic ancestors, who didn't have the benefit of fitness gurus. They also didn't have access to our vastly improved modern diet, like protein shakes and apples.
:d
Old 05-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #12
whosthere
Knock Knock
ESB Jr Member

When I was a fighter in the early 70's, my trainer, Lucky Jordan was a pretty innovative guy for his time.
He had us swim, up to 5 miles a day, depending on our schedule, not only for endurance but because he understood that the water lowered the body tempurature and removed heat much more quickly than air. This caused all the muscles of the body to work (think shivering), and produced a more uniform workout.
The only roadwork we did were short sprints of 20 yards to improve explosiveness in the legs.
Back then we didn't really know about the joint damage runing can cause, and I was a welter anyway. As an old heavyweight today, I'm thankful my joints are still in pretty good shape.
whosthere is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #13
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosthere View Post
When I was a fighter in the early 70's, my trainer, Lucky Jordan was a pretty innovative guy for his time.
He had us swim, up to 5 miles a day, depending on our schedule, not only for endurance but because he understood that the water lowered the body tempurature and removed heat much more quickly than air. This caused all the muscles of the body to work (think shivering), and produced a more uniform workout.
The only roadwork we did were short sprints of 20 yards to improve explosiveness in the legs.
Back then we didn't really know about the joint damage runing can cause, and I was a welter anyway. As an old heavyweight today, I'm thankful my joints are still in pretty good shape.
320 lengths? Really, I cramp up badly after 100
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #14
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosthere View Post
thanks for the insight

i'm a big fan of mike spinks routine when moving to heavyweight, running short sprints with wind resistance. he was essentially mimicing what was needed in the ring to fight larry, short and intense burts of energy
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #15
prone2gr8tness
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 75

marciano .. road wiork was 25 milles plus
prone2gr8tness is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum