Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #16
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prone2gr8tness View Post
marciano .. road wiork was 25 milles plus
no
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #17
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,258
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prone2gr8tness View Post
marciano .. road wiork was 25 milles plus
a week?
Seamus is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #18
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,225
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
You need as much stamina if not more for a 12 round fight fought at a fast pace than you do for a 40 round fought at a slow pace
Much as you hate to give the old time fighters credit for anything, I think that stamina is the one area where even you would have to give them the edge.

Even where the punch output is lower, they still have to more round the ring for 40 rounds, graple for 40 rounds, and maintain the lower pucn output for 40 rounds.

Fighting 40 rounds wouldn't be twice as hard as fighting 20 rounds, it would be more like five times as hard!
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #19
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,202
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

As I understand it, running intervals is the main form of roadwork fighters do today. My trainer told me that trraditional running has its use too, since it increases the lung capacity which in turn makes you recover from intense training faster. His recipe was long distance running in the pre-season (for amateurs) and then do intervals for the rest of the season.

I suppose you can get pretty much the same result from just swimming, though. And I could see why you'd like to. I certainly feel 10 km in my knees and I'm just 150 lbs.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #20
janwalshs
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 195
vCash: 500
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

I doubt any fighter, including Marciano, ran anywhere near 25 miles a day. If they did, I imagine their knee joints would be ground down to dust over time. I have read where Marciano used to walk quite a bit in his spare time, in some cases, many miles. He felt he built up his legs and got some of his endurance this way.
janwalshs is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #21
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,225
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwalshs View Post
I doubt any fighter, including Marciano, ran anywhere near 25 miles a day. If they did, I imagine their knee joints would be ground down to dust over time. I have read where Marciano used to walk quite a bit in his spare time, in some cases, many miles. He felt he built up his legs and got some of his endurance this way.
When you hear about a fighter running N miles per day, it dosn't mean they did that every day.

It just means that they did it on the day that the press were invited to the training camp.

Even so, the road work that some of these early fighters did was incredible.

I have been puting in 90-110 miles a week in the early months of this year, without any significant injury, and I think that some of the early fighters matched that.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #22
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,258
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
I have been puting in 90-110 miles a week in the early months of this year, without any significant injury, and I think that some of the early fighters matched that.
Congrats. Those are big numbers.

However, do you think you would really have the energy and focus to train on boxing after doing such miles? Think of it this way, if you did the equivalent sparring, pad work, ring work, bag work, whatnot to your 100 miles a week, would you still have the energy and proper to run 100 miles a week as primary training for 10,000 or marathon competition?
Seamus is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #23
Slicknick56
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 734
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

lol i love fighting guys that dont like to run
Slicknick56 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #24
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,258
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

Let's put it this way, James Toney wouldn't be half the fighter if he ran 100 miles a week.
Seamus is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #25
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,225
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Congrats. Those are big numbers.

However, do you think you would really have the energy and focus to train on boxing after doing such miles? Think of it this way, if you did the equivalent sparring, pad work, ring work, bag work, whatnot to your 100 miles a week, would you still have the energy and proper to run 100 miles a week as primary training for 10,000 or marathon competition?
To be fair to me, I held down a job around that traing regime.

That should be taken into account.

Perhaps the Peter Mahers realy did this!!!
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #26
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Much as you hate to give the old time fighters credit for anything, I think that stamina is the one area where even you would have to give them the edge.

Even where the punch output is lower, they still have to more round the ring for 40 rounds, graple for 40 rounds, and maintain the lower pucn output for 40 rounds.

Fighting 40 rounds wouldn't be twice as hard as fighting 20 rounds, it would be more like five times as hard!
Depends on the boxer, Willard isn't a particularly fit man, 40 round fought at a very slow pace of waiting each other out does not require more stamina than 12 rounds fought at a hard pace.

Just like you may run ultra marathons, but you are not fitter than Bekele

Stamina in boxing can be offset by strength anyway especially in long fights, if you're strong you can outlast a fitter man, by pushing him around and punching him as he tires or takes a breather
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #27
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicknick56 View Post
lol i love fighting guys that dont like to run
Get in the ring with James Toney then
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #28
suriamarsuli
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 81
vCash: 500
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury View Post
Would you mind posting it up here, or providing a link to it? I'd be interested to see it.
It's on ESB classic.Here's the link.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPook View Post
I got some information about Klitschko daily routine from CHEFF and this is what I made of it.

I would like to know what Klitschko's gym work looks like.


Klitschko daily routine

Getting up in the morning 7:30 AM

8:00 AM 9:30 AM work-out

Klitschko does not run, instead he does swim for 45 minutes in the morning

Breakfast 9:30 AM

Oatmeal with berries, or egg white omelettes

Dinner 12:30 PM

Soup, salad, grilled meat, chicken, or fish

Snack 3:00 PM

Fruits and nuts

Training at the gym 4:00 PM 6:30 PM

Weight training:

3 sets 15 reps
Or
3 sets 5 reps with maximum weight he can lift

Snack 6:45 PM

Watermelon, bananas, other fruits

Dinner 8:00 PM

Grilled meat, chicken, or fish with rice, pasta, or potatoes

As dessert Klitschko eats chocolate cake or cheese cake because he needs the calories.

Evening walk 11:30 PM

Evening walk for 20 minutes, to let the body get used to staying up late for fight night.
suriamarsuli is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #29
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,225
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Depends on the boxer, Willard isn't a particularly fit man, 40 round fought at a very slow pace of waiting each other out does not require more stamina than 12 rounds fought at a hard pace.
Willard is basicaly the model to aspire to in terms of stamina, for a 220lb+ man.

If you think his workrate is bad enough to offset the fight being four times longer, then produce some data to suport that extreme opinion!

For example compare his punch utput to Wlads, and justify the idea thaqt Wlad is working harder in a quater of the time.

Quote:
Just like you may run ultra marathons, but you are not fitter than Bekele
Over 50 miles, I have beaten some guys who can run rings round me in a marathon.

The skills are barely transferable!

Quote:
Stamina in boxing can be offset by strength anyway especially in long fights, if you're strong you can outlast a fitter man, by pushing him around and punching him as he tires or takes a breather
If it is 40 rounds, then endurance is still going to trump strength!

12 reps would be looking better than 6, at this point!
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:32 AM   #30
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

[quote=janitor;12892396]
Quote:
1. Willard is basicaly the model to aspire to in terms of stamina, for a 220lb+ man.

If you think his workrate is bad enough to offset the fight being four times longer, then produce some data to suport that extreme opinion!

For example compare his punch utput to Wlads, and justify the idea thaqt Wlad is working harder in a quater of the time.


2. Over 50 miles, I have beaten some guys who can run rings round me in a marathon. The skills are barely transferable!

3. If it is 40 rounds, then endurance is still going to trump strength! 12 reps would be looking better than 6, at this point!
1. Willard isn't a particularly fit man, as for a prototype for 220lb fitness Compare any round of his to any round of Wlad's to see Wlad working at a much more intense pace

2. Wait just to clarify you're saying you're fitter and have better endurance than Bekele?

3. You're just showing you haven't boxed again, strength is just as important to long distance fights as stamina. Otherwise why don't flyweights and featherweights win fights to the finish? Strength matters in boxing, for instance as a HW I can do next to nothing for 20 rounds against a FW, block his punches or soak them up, punch him in the ribs occasionally or lean my bodyweight on him to tire him and when he gets tired turn it on and knock him out. I don't need to be remotely fit to do that to a smaller man, and Willard wasn't particularly fit either, he was just bigger and stronger than Jack Johnson

Honestly I think you chuckle behind your PC screen with a troll face half of the time J
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013