Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #46
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Granada, Spain.
Posts: 4,313
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Sorry to shatter the illusion!
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #47
Lester1583
Can you hear this?
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,213
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
I know Hopkins was known for his almost obsessive running as a MW. Anyone got any figures on how much he used to run?
If I'm not mistaken about 5-6 miles a day.

N.Richardson said that as a light heavyweight Hop runs 3 miles a day.
Lester1583 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #48
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Around the welterweight limit.
OK, that's a good weight for a runner. Did you know every extra pound you carry adds 5seconds to your mile time, so theoretically add 80lbs to your bodyweight, that's 400seconds (6mins40) extra per mile

Did you also know running approximately puts 3 times the force of your bodyweight on each leg, so for you that would 147x3=441lbs but is 660lbs at 220lbs

I also run at a reasonable level, having gone sub 4:50 for the mile at my best. Personally if I'm constantly over 200lbs with a lower bodyfat and most likely a better running pedigree than Willard I pick up running injuries. Currently recovering from a partially torn Achilles tendon from very steep hill runs and I'm not sure it'll recover completely.

Simply put I don't buy the running they profess to do at that bodyweight and even if they did it, it wouldn't be the best training for boxing in my view

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester1583 View Post
If I'm not mistaken about 5-6 miles a day.

N.Richardson said that as a light heavyweight Hop runs 3 miles a day.
3 miles at max pace = VO2 maximisation, if you do more or less you're not optimising training for stamina
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #49
suriamarsuli
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 81
vCash: 500
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapMaxie View Post
He probably meant kilometers which would be accurate, and you're right peope hear Rocky did 15 miles a day and that he ran everyday even christmas morning but he'd work up to 15 over the course of being in camp for several months and usually only did it with 3-4 weeks till the fight. Like you said he generally did around 5 to 7 miles.
Personally I believe a man with stamina like Rocky Marciano would posses the ability to do so,but I don't believe he runs that distance on daily basis.I'd remember that even professional runners like Haile Gebrselassie had a daily routine of 18 miles in the morning and he continued it with cycling for 10 kilometres in the evening.
suriamarsuli is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #50
Lester1583
Can you hear this?
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,213
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
3 miles at max pace = VO2 maximisation, if you do more or less you're not optimising training for stamina
Richardson even said that he thinks that Hopkins runs too much.

Toney would agree with him.
Lester1583 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #51
whosthere
Knock Knock
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
320 lengths? Really, I cramp up badly after 100
I should have qualified that, when I said "up to" 5 miles, I meant total for the day. I usually swam a mile first thing in the am, breakfast, off to school ( I was 17), gym workouts and/or sparring after school, then 2-4 miles in the pool, maybe non-stop, maybe in one mile increments.
The only time I did regularly did 5 miles non-stop was on weekends at the lake, where Lucky got his workout rowing along with us.
Although 5 miles in the pool was really nothing after you got used to it, laps were just boring as hell...
whosthere is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #52
whosthere
Knock Knock
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
thanks for the insight

i'm a big fan of mike spinks routine when moving to heavyweight, running short sprints with wind resistance. he was essentially mimicing what was needed in the ring to fight larry, short and intense burts of energy
At my age, I've given up the sprints. I don't really have much need for what they produce, but I still swim at least 4 days a week, even though it's rarely more than a mile.
Doc says my cardio is as good as any patient he has and I might live to 100 if I would give up the pot and the bourbon. I usually ask him what's the point of living that long if you're gona deny yourself everything you like.
whosthere is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #53
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,221
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
OK, that's a good weight for a runner. Did you know every extra pound you carry adds 5seconds to your mile time, so theoretically add 80lbs to your bodyweight, that's 400seconds (6mins40) extra per mile
No.

Quote:
Did you also know running approximately puts 3 times the force of your bodyweight on each leg, so for you that would 147x3=441lbs but is 660lbs at 220lbs
Yes

Quote:
I also run at a reasonable level, having gone sub 4:50 for the mile at my best. Personally if I'm constantly over 200lbs with a lower bodyfat and most likely a better running pedigree than Willard I pick up running injuries. Currently recovering from a partially torn Achilles tendon from very steep hill runs and I'm not sure it'll recover completely.

Simply put I don't buy the running they profess to do at that bodyweight and even if they did it, it wouldn't be the best training for boxing in my view
The training schedules you see for the early fighters, are usualy what they did on a given day when there happened to be reporters in camp. When you start to peice the training programe together over the course of the week, you see that there are no two days when they did the same thing. One day they might emphasise road work and do slow 20 miles, and the next day they might do cycling rowing or something else low impact, then perhaps a speed session or interval session.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #54
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 14,395
vCash: 1200
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

This is a boring alternative, but isn't the treadmill much easier on the joints? I have joint & foot issues at times from running and during my basketball days, and the treadmill never gave me the sort of problems or pain a harder surface did.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:08 AM   #55
Gleasons Gym
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 91
vCash: 500
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetethePrince View Post
This is a boring alternative, but isn't the treadmill much easier on the joints? I have joint & foot issues at times from running and during my basketball days, and the treadmill never gave me the sort of problems or pain a harder surface did.
Try running on grass instead. This is what i do and i have no knee joint problems what so ever.
Gleasons Gym is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #56
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,406
vCash: 500
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury View Post
No. Where do you guys get this from?
He ran about 15 miles a day in the lead up to a fight like i said previously. 15x7=105. I don't find it particularly hard to believe for that a few weeks a year one of the fittest boxers ever, a known fitness freak, ran 100+ miles in a week.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #57
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,406
vCash: 500
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suriamarsuli View Post
Personally I believe a man with stamina like Rocky Marciano would posses the ability to do so,but I don't believe he runs that distance on daily basis.I'd remember that even professional runners like Haile Gebrselassie had a daily routine of 18 miles in the morning and he continued it with cycling for 10 kilometres in the evening.
Just what i've read and heard mate, no way to know for sure but like i said he only did this in the final few weeks for an upcoming fight and given his insane stamina it isn't exactly hard to believe.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #58
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada!!!!
Posts: 2,215
vCash: 500
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosthere View Post
At my age, I've given up the sprints. I don't really have much need for what they produce, but I still swim at least 4 days a week, even though it's rarely more than a mile.
Doc says my cardio is as good as any patient he has and I might live to 100 if I would give up the pot and the bourbon. I usually ask him what's the point of living that long if you're gona deny yourself everything you like.
except for all that unpleasant cardio work, i think you and i would get along just fine
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #59
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapMaxie View Post
He ran about 15 miles a day in the lead up to a fight like i said previously. 15x7=105. I don't find it particularly hard to believe for that a few weeks a year one of the fittest boxers ever, a known fitness freak, ran 100+ miles in a week.
You don't do that for 'the final few weeks' you taper off and train light the week before the fight. 15miles a day would give him no energy to do other training, hence it didn't happen
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #60
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,406
vCash: 500
Default Re: Long distance running/roadwork in boxing training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
You don't do that for 'the final few weeks' you taper off and train light the week before the fight. 15miles a day would give him no energy to do other training, hence it didn't happen
There's a big difference between final few weeks and the final week. In any case Rocky was one of the fittest boxers ever in a period where people trained and were expected to go 15 rounds Rocky stood above them all stamina wise...is it really that hard to believe?
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013