Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
DanishFightfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Horsens, Denmark
Posts: 3,775
vCash: 4021
Default Running/cardio exercise before breakfast?

I have seen some mixed opinions on the subject.. Some people say that it is a great way to burn some extra fat and keep your metabolism running... Other people say that it isn't very good, because you're training on an "empty" engine..
What do you think?
DanishFightfan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Running/cardio exercise before breakfast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanishFightfan View Post
I have seen some mixed opinions on the subject.. Some people say that it is a great way to burn some extra fat and keep your metabolism running... Other people say that it isn't very good, because you're training on an "empty" engine..
What do you think?
Would you try and drive your car with no petrol in? Never understood the whole mantra about training on an empty stomach. Its a dumb idea because your body can't perform optimally, unless you had breakfast or a decent enough meal at least 2 hours before you work out. Certainly that works for me. Your metabolism will look after itself providing you exert yourself well enough.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
DanishFightfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Horsens, Denmark
Posts: 3,775
vCash: 4021
Default Re: Running/cardio exercise before breakfast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
Would you try and drive your car with no petrol in? Never understood the whole mantra about training on an empty stomach. Its a dumb idea because your body can't perform optimally, unless you had breakfast or a decent enough meal at least 2 hours before you work out. Certainly that works for me. Your metabolism will look after itself providing you exert yourself well enough.
Logically, that is why it sounds a bit weird to exercise before breakfast..
But i have seen a quite few people say that it is good for your body..
I believe that soldiers get up for early exercise before breakfast, Mike Tyson also used to get up like 4:30 AM to do a morning run..
DanishFightfan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Running/cardio exercise before breakfast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanishFightfan View Post
Logically, that is why it sounds a bit weird to exercise before breakfast..
But i have seen a quite few people say that it is good for your body..
I believe that soldiers get up for early exercise before breakfast, Mike Tyson also used to get up like 4:30 AM to do a morning run..
At the end of the day there's no one size fits all recipe here. For some people it works. For me personally its a dumb idea. And i wouldn't encourage it unless you had specific reason why. At 4.30AM the only thing i'm going to be doing is sleeping.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
captain hook
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ZGB - Croatia
Posts: 571
vCash: 1794
Default Re: Running/cardio exercise before breakfast?

my friend does his hill running records always on empty stomack. it depends on people, i could never do such a hard training without "fuel"
captain hook is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
edouardleniqueu
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: the ivory coconut!!!
Posts: 488
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Running/cardio exercise before breakfast?

Lots of pro bodybuilders believe in cardio early in the morning on an empty stomach, according to them it helps burning fat more efficiently, but im not sure this has been proven scientifically

Personally I wouldn't do that myself simply because I'm always starving in the morning so definitly I need some fuel before doing any physical effort
edouardleniqueu is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,120
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Running/cardio exercise before breakfast?

It works ok if you're a model/body builder looking to get to sub 8% body fat, but for an athlete it's just dumb.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
Max Power
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 104
vCash: 500
Default Re: Running/cardio exercise before breakfast?

I run before breakfast 3 times per week, 2 track sessions, 1 longer run, and it works fine for me.
I was having trouble eating beforehand. Anything I ate would tend to make me throw up or give me heartburn/indegestion.

I saw a nutritionist who advised I had a slow metabolism and recommended I don't eat before but eat immediately after. So far seems to be working.
Max Power is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
Manassa
-
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ESB since '05
Posts: 3,883
vCash: 75
Default Re: Running/cardio exercise before breakfast?

I could bore you with the scientific aspects of it, but no, running on an empty stomach is not dangerous in the slightest - just be sensible. As long as you aren't living on a mouse's diet, are properly hydrated and don't run for more than an hour, you'll be fine. In fact, you won't notice a difference. Some people even perform better on an empty stomach.

Think about it; we evolved in the wild, and in the wild there is no guarantee that breakfast will be awaiting your table every morning. The human body has adapted to irregular eating patterns and can easily cope with - and prevail under - less than desirable conditions.

That said, keep a healthy diet.
Manassa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #10
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,120
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Running/cardio exercise before breakfast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
In fact, you won't notice a difference.
Really? I tried it a few times before, I nearly passed out since I had no energy...

Quote:
Some people even perform better on an empty stomach.
You can't be serious.

Quote:
Think about it; we evolved in the wild, and in the wild there is no guarantee that breakfast will be awaiting your table every morning. The human body has adapted to irregular eating patterns and can easily cope with - and prevail under - less than desirable conditions.
And? The human body is an amazing thing. It can survive for x amount of days without any food... so what?

When you're training for a sport it makes no sense whatsoever to starve yourself. Like I said above, only people looking to get very low body fat should try something like this.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #11
Manassa
-
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ESB since '05
Posts: 3,883
vCash: 75
Default Re: Running/cardio exercise before breakfast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Really? I tried it a few times before, I nearly passed out since I had no energy...



You can't be serious.



And? The human body is an amazing thing. It can survive for x amount of days without any food... so what?

When you're training for a sport it makes no sense whatsoever to starve yourself. Like I said above, only people looking to get very low body fat should try something like this.
First of all, I quite reasonably stated that it isn't dangerous - and I'm right, provided you're fine elsewhere like I mentioned; you ate the night before, you've taken in enough liquids and you're not running for too long. High end or extreme endurance and you may start to feel a difference.

That's where it ends, by the way, seeing as I didn't advocate running on an empty stomach. Don't jump the gun you ****ing spoon.

Anyway, seeing as you asked so nicely, yes, I am serious about performing on an empty stomach. Not everyone has such a flawless system like yourself - me, well, I struggle to digest food easily and can be left feeling bloated and lethargic after even a small meal, so often I work out on an empty stomach, only to eat sensibly later on.

Quote:
And? The human body is an amazing thing. It can survive for x amount of days without any food... so what?
Don't put a spin on it. I wasn't talking about extremes. I meant that it's fine for you to skip a meal, you can perform very well on an empty stomach actually, just as you were designed to, before replenishing later. I bet you're part of the same crowd who thinks you're going to **** up your routine if you don't eat every hour and that you can't digest more than twenty grams of protein per intake...
Manassa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:01 AM   #12
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Running/cardio exercise before breakfast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
It works ok if you're a model/body builder looking to get to sub 8% body fat, but for an athlete it's just dumb.
You ever seen BB's run? Funny shit... And those big muffugaz don't run. They take diuretics.

Last edited by scurlaruntings; 05-22-2012 at 05:53 AM.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:32 AM   #13
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Running/cardio exercise before breakfast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
First of all, I quite reasonably stated that it isn't dangerous - and I'm right, provided you're fine elsewhere like I mentioned; you ate the night before, you've taken in enough liquids and you're not running for too long. High end or extreme endurance and you may start to feel a difference.

That's where it ends, by the way, seeing as I didn't advocate running on an empty stomach. Don't jump the gun you ****ing spoon.

Anyway, seeing as you asked so nicely, yes, I am serious about performing on an empty stomach. Not everyone has such a flawless system like yourself - me, well, I struggle to digest food easily and can be left feeling bloated and lethargic after even a small meal, so often I work out on an empty stomach, only to eat sensibly later on.



Don't put a spin on it. I wasn't talking about extremes. I meant that it's fine for you to skip a meal, you can perform very well on an empty stomach actually, just as you were designed to, before replenishing later. I bet you're part of the same crowd who thinks you're going to **** up your routine if you don't eat every hour and that you can't digest more than twenty grams of protein per intake...
Jimmy? Jimmy Struthers? Is that you?
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:03 AM   #14
AdamB
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Surrey
Posts: 94
vCash: 500
Default Re: Running/cardio exercise before breakfast?

It definitely depends on the person, some people just need a HUGE amount of time to digest food which makes it impossible to eat before morning cardio. Personally, even if I eat a big meal at around 21:30, I'm hungry when I wake up at 6:00 to run. I usually eat a PowerBar and start sipping water as soon as I get up, then I'm good to run by 6:30. Alternatively, I have a sports drink and a banana, unless I'm going for a really short, light jog just to get the blood flowing and to be able to have a stretch before work (usually when I'm training in the evening and have been training hard the day before) in which case I'll do it fasted.

I've been boxing for around 7 months now and was relatively sedentary beforehand so my body is still not quite up to 2 hard training sessions a day, hence the short jogs, but as I recall reading in the RossTraining article, you shouldn't really be doing any easy runs - I don't know about you, but the thought of doing intervals or hill sprints on an empty stomach is pretty horrendous. Even if you do a long, slow run once a week it should be at a brisk pace.

However, just to reinforce that people work differently - I found out the other day that one of the guys I train with who's in his 30s doesn't eat before boxing on Sundays since he'd have to get up early to be able to digest it, he says it takes him around 4 hours. The thought of doing an hour and a half boxing session fasted is absolutely crazy to me.
AdamB is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:47 AM   #15
Archibald
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
Default Re: Running/cardio exercise before breakfast?

Hi DanishFightfan,
You got mixed opinions because they don't have same objects. Agree with scurlaruntings and must have something before going for cardio exercise to meet body requirements for workouts.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by Archibald; 05-26-2012 at 03:44 AM.
Archibald is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013