Douglas, rather easily.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Floyd Patterson v. Buster Douglas

I have to go with Douglas. His blend of speed and power in a heavyweight was akin to Greg Page and at his best he's gonna outgun Floyd IMO. Terrible style for Floyd.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2008, 10:24 AM   #5
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
I have to go with Douglas. His blend of speed and power in a heavyweight was akin to Greg Page and at his best he's gonna outgun Floyd IMO. Terrible style for Floyd.
You'd pick Greg Page to beat Patterson too ?
Old 01-13-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
Douglas, rather easily.
Easily ?
On points or by stoppage ?
Old 01-13-2008, 10:32 AM   #7
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
You'd pick Greg Page to beat Patterson too ?
At his rare best he has the size, speed and power to be a chance. I see he and Douglas as a bit similar both story wise and talent wise.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:38 AM   #8
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Patterson via TKO between 7-10. He had speed, power great head movement I see him beating Douglas to the punch and eventually ending it.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2008, 11:05 AM   #9
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Easily ?
On points or by stoppage ?
By stoppage. Putting an athletically talented 6'4 230lbs man who knows his footwork, speed, combinations, every punch in with a 5'11 180lbs weak chinned heavyweight without a big punch who comes forward is a big mismatch.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:24 AM   #10
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Quote:
By stoppage. Putting an athletically talented 6'4 230lbs man who knows his footwork, speed, combinations, every punch in with a 5'11 180lbs weak chinned heavyweight without a big punch who comes forward is a big mismatch.
That's a harsh assessment of Patterson, IMO.

I think Patterson had a lot of power in his punches.

I also think he demonstrated he could box and move and circle in fights, he was versatile, not just "come forward".

However weak his chin was, I think he took punches from men who probably hit as hard as Douglas, and he beat them too.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:43 AM   #11
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

Quote:
That's a harsh assessment of Patterson, IMO.

I think Patterson had a lot of power in his punches.

I also think he demonstrated he could box and move and circle in fights, he was versatile, not just "come forward".

However weak his chin was, I think he took punches from men who probably hit as hard as Douglas, and he beat them too.
Maybe so, i just think he's overmatched.

If Douglas came in at the shape and focus he was feb. 1990, historians may well have a have been talking about "Tyson, Holmes, Lewis, Holyfield and Douglas" when refering to the great heavyweights of the 80's and 90's.
Hell, he already beat a prime Tyson. When he was at his best, he was just fabulous. Imagine that uppercut in the 10th landing on Patterson, who was bounced off the canvas by journeymen and a guy who was making his pro debut. You may point out that Douglas was a journeyman himself, but we're talking about them at their best, right?

On a sidenote, what would consider Patterson's best? His rematch with Ingo? The Moore fight? Quarry I?
Old 01-13-2008, 11:49 AM   #12
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

I also think Patterson was a bit of the "right guy at the right place and the right time". Marciano had just retired, Walcott was out, Moore had just taken a beating from Rocky; i think there was a bit of a gap just like when Lewis recently retired. Credit to Patterson for stepping up to the plate and taking Moore out. But i don't think he was THAT much more special than other contenders of the day.

Again, you can say the same about Douglas, but he was great at his best, whereas i am not that impressed by a peak Patterson.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:52 AM   #13
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

The great Jimmy Cannon called Patterson the worst heavyweight champ of all time whether rightly or wrongly.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:03 PM   #14
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Quote:
Maybe so, i just think he's overmatched.

If Douglas came in at the shape and focus he was feb. 1990, historians may well have a have been talking about "Tyson, Holmes, Lewis, Holyfield and Douglas" when refering to the great heavyweights of the 80's and 90's.
Hell, he already beat a prime Tyson. When he was at his best, he was just fabulous. Imagine that uppercut in the 10th landing on Patterson, who was bounced off the canvas by journeymen and a guy who was making his pro debut. You may point out that Douglas was a journeyman himself, but we're talking about them at their best, right?
Douglas had to break down Tyson's defences for 9 1/2 rounds to land that uppercut with such effect in the 10th, and people here have convinced me that Tyson lacked his usual head movement in that fight. That suggests Douglas wouldn't have landed as many punches on a better version of Tyson.

And I dont think he would necessarily land much on Patterson either, though I concede that he could deck Patterson with a lesser punch.
But lots of fighters decked Patterson, yet only 3 men stopped him.

Quote:
On a sidenote, what would consider Patterson's best? His rematch with Ingo? The Moore fight? Quarry I ?
He looks great in Ingo 2, Moore, v.Henry Cooper, he even looks pretty good when old v. Bonavena.

He looks decent against Chuvalo, and other possible top performances incl. v. Eddie Machen (which I haven't seen) and Jerry Quarry.

Apart from where he was completely psyched-out against Liston, and in some of those fights with lesser opponents, Patterson looked very capable against the top heavyweights of the 50s and 60s.
I thought he even looked good in his last fight against Ali.

Johansson 2 and Archie Moore would be the two best, I think.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:07 PM   #15
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Patterson was overall the more consistent fighter of the two, but given that we're talking about both on their respective best nights: Tokyo version Douglas would stop Patterson late,

I say all this despite being a Patterson fan and generally being of the opinion he doesn't get as much praise as he should regarding his career achivements. I've got to be honest here, however and say that a peak "Buster" has too much size and power for Floyd to handle, as well as a fine jab and good boxing ability.

Douglas TKO11.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum