Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 05-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default P-Dub Vs Canelo is ON!

Can Williams roll back the years, sustain his ugh workrate and test Alvarez's stamina?

Can Canelo hurt Williams? Can the Mexican work in bursts and stay away from Williams to stop him getting going?

Can Williams learn to use his jab and stop falling in? Would that even be the best idea here?

Williams is past his best and Canelo is on the ascendancy. Good fight.

September. Source: theuppercut on twitter @shaun_brown
Flea Man is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
richiedooley
The CHAMP
ESB Full Member

vCash: 164
Default Re: P-Dub Vs Canelo is ON!

Can see Canelo stopping him on his feet
richiedooley is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Not sure Williams has got this left in him either mentally or physically.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
richiedooley
The CHAMP
ESB Full Member

vCash: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
Not sure Williams has got this left in him either mentally or physically.
He's Talked about retirement recently hasn't he? Alvarez should be too hungry, strong and more skilled at this point. Good fight though
richiedooley is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Thats the thing, he was talking about walking away, with his money and faculties intact (no bad thing!!) before the Lara fight. How much is he going to want it if it gets tough against Alvarez?
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
ImElvis666
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 227381

I don't buy into the "Williams is shot" view.

Lara was a stylistic nightmare for him. An awkward lefty. Canelo isn't a lefty and I wouldn't describe his style as awkward either. Canelo has damn solid boxing fundamentals though. He can put combos together nicely and his aggression, in many ways, is part of his defence.

Paul Williams may have slipped a little since his days at welterweight but not much. I still consider him world class and fighters without a style revolved around defence are going to have issues with him.

This is a brilliant fight. And the first top opponent Canelo will have faced. I'll be mightily impressed if a 21 year old beats a seasoned professional like Paul Williams.
ImElvis666 is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I hope Williams derails the Hype Train.
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

Great fight!

I have to slightly favor Alvarez in this, he might not be fighting top opposition, but he has steadily improved in his last few fights, and the timing of this fight is perfect.

The Williams of 2-3 years ago I would expect to beat Canelo, I don't think Paul is shot, but he is certainly a bit over the hill IMO.

Alvarez on points.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImElvis666 View Post
I don't buy into the "Williams is shot" view.

Lara was a stylistic nightmare for him. An awkward lefty. Canelo isn't a lefty and I wouldn't describe his style as awkward either. Canelo has damn solid boxing fundamentals though. He can put combos together nicely and his aggression, in many ways, is part of his defence.

Paul Williams may have slipped a little since his days at welterweight but not much. I still consider him world class and fighters without a style revolved around defence are going to have issues with him.

This is a brilliant fight. And the first top opponent Canelo will have faced. I'll be mightily impressed if a 21 year old beats a seasoned professional like Paul Williams.
Williams looked shop-worn against Cintron. Martinez did a lot of damage to him in their first fight and I don't think he's ever really recovered.

However, he is fighting at a weight that suits him, against a guy that is still uncultured enough that Williams might be able to push the younger man out of rhythm.

But make no mistake, GBP has picked Williams because he's the right mix of step up, worn down, with a decent name to make the risk worthwhile.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Agreed. Williams' style was never going to age well, especially as he has shown no adaptability in his career. He still falls in. He still throws arm punches. He still has no defence.

Seriously, even at middle, if he could've maximised his natural advantages he could've been a multi-faceted southpaw, a durable beast with a top class engine who could throw at mid-range or up the tempo and push his man around and throw the kitchen sink at him.

As it is he's now a sloppy punchbag. He didn't look all that against Ishida IMO. Cannel's speed will be the major difference here IMO. Williams of a few years back could just throw and throw but Canelo steps back well and fires shots off. I could see a Baldomir moment here, Williams over reaching and getting hit. I see that happening a lot. Whether he makes it to the end or gets stopped, I think a loss here and last payday will be the end. Good points made by Gaz there. Paul's heart isn't in it any more. With his approach, he can't commit if his heart isn't in it.
Flea Man is online now  Top
Old 05-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #11
Lazarus
Realist
East Side VIP

vCash: 238

I really like the fight. Like Elvis said, the shot saying on Williams is a load of rubbish.

I was actually surprised they made this fight. Going from a shot Mosley to a good Williams is quite a step. Williams was good in his fight with Ishida and for all the flaws he has, still showed that he can fight and win.

I really like it. I struggle to see how the fight would be though, stylistically. Either a bit of a messy affair, or a fight. Either way, it's a big step up, me thinks.
Lazarus is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #12
El Greeno
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 360

Yep this is a decent fight - would have liked Canelo-Cotto but you can't have everything! Think Schaefer said this will be HBO PPV so anyone know of any undercard fights that have been mentioned for this bill?
El Greeno is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #13
paddymickey
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 933

dangerous fight for Canelo but he will come through. Williams can be great at times. But he is inconsistent.
paddymickey is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #14
brickfists
The Nonpareil
ESB Addict

vCash: 542

as far as i remember the only guys hat have given williams problems are slick southpaws and canelo isnt one. i think williams wins the fight but gets done by the judges
brickfists is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #15
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

This is a very tough fight for Alvarez as long as Williams chin isn't shot. Alvarez likes to pick his spots, he's not particularly hard to find either. Typically not the sort of guy Williams struggles to get into a rhythm against.
TFFP is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum