Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 05-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #16
saintsmike
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: P-Dub Vs Canelo is ON!

I think Williams takes this to the wire. When he's working of the jab using his range and throwing combinations he'll put Alvarez on the backfoot and force him to go into deeper waters. Williams will know it's ALL or nothing in this fight, if he can't win then he'll have a career as a gatekeeper and will no longer be an elite force in boxing.

Canelo can be caught cold as shown against Jose Cotto, if Williams can start fast and give Alvarez some problems then the judges will have a tough fight to score.
saintsmike is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #17
DavetheSlave

vCash: 500

Williams must have about 5 inches height on him.

He should just hold his hand out and Saul wont be able to touch him.
DavetheSlave is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #18
Redondo5
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 4380

The giraffe is going to sleep...
Redondo5 is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2012, 03:47 AM   #19
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Absolutely love this fight. I'm a big Williams fan, and Canelo has impressed me as of late, and is getting better with every fight.

As others have said, it all depends how much Williams has left. But I think he can really trouble Canelo here. The Mexican isn't the slippery southpaw Martinez or Lara who gave him hell. In fact, Canelo is the exact opposite, a come forward upright aggressor with an average work rate. Williams, while not technically great, throws enough punches to nick rounds. He also has a damn fine chin, and I don't see Alverez stopping him at any time.

I honestly think Williams takes this on points.
Vano-Irons is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2012, 04:51 AM   #20
ScouseLad
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Boss fight this, hopefully get some juicy odds on Williams.
ScouseLad is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2012, 05:48 AM   #21
ero-sennin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Great fight. I'm a fan of Williams and thought he looked good against Ishida. Canelo is something else, and I'm not too confident in a Williams victory, but you maybe he can do it.
ero-sennin is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2012, 06:20 AM   #22
a.irwin85
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

people giving willimas far too much stick so far!! obviously the martinez KO has damaged williams in the way that he doesnt look as open to battle as possibly before the martinez fight. he looked good against Ishada IMO and i believe this will be a good fight and i think if Canelo wins it show its not just hype and stage managed but there is genuine super stardom to come!!
a.irwin85 is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2012, 06:39 AM   #23
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr E View Post
Paul Williams....

Either one of the biggest hype jobs in recent years or the best/worse case of unfufilled talent in recent years? I think the debate will never be settled to be honest.

I was going to mention Canelo in the "how would you manage Bellew" thread. He is a fighter who, for various reasons, was derided by many boxing fans when he first attracted global interest and yet it seems pretty obvious now that there was a bit of talent there all along that just needed nutured.

But back on track, this is a big big crossroads fight (excuse the cliche) and if, as I suspect he will, Canelo wins it will be regarded by many in the future of the moment that those who doubted him became a minority.
He's neither of the possibilities you put forth. Just a good fighter.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #24
D-MAC
Champion
East Side Guru

I'd give Williams a good chance to pull out the win here.

Goof fight.
D-MAC is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #25
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Can Williams roll back the years, sustain his ugh workrate and test Alvarez's stamina?

Can Canelo hurt Williams? Can the Mexican work in bursts and stay away from Williams to stop him getting going?

Can Williams learn to use his jab and stop falling in? Would that even be the best idea here?

Williams is past his best and Canelo is on the ascendancy. Good fight.

September. Source: theuppercut on twitter @shaun_brown
Yes he can !!!!

Cannot wait for this one , at last

Cheers Flea
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #26
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Canelo is bound to win... I'd love to see him against floyd in a big unification!
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #27
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

I'm hoping he can Win! One of my current faves is P-Dub and while Canelo has shown a few flashes of brilliance there's a few worrying aspects about his application that I'd love to see Williams expose

Luf, I agree Canelo is the big favourite here, regardless of styles. Could even see P-Dub getting the Lara treatment even if he does well down the stretch.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #28
MagicMan91
The Main Event Mafia
ESB Addict

vCash: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post

But make no mistake, GBP has picked Williams because he's the right mix of step up, worn down, with a decent name to make the risk worthwhile.
Exactly this. GBP know exactly what they're doing with this fight, no doubts. Williams is done at this kind of level. 2 losses & a brutal KO against Martinez along with a loss & a beating from Lara have taken it out of him. Wasn't all that impressive against Cintron or Ishida imo either. He's got retirement on his mind and can't make adjustments but it will be interesting to see Canelo have to deal with such a high work rate & a very tall southpaw. Will be an impressive win for a 21 year old fighter though but probably not quite as good a win as some people will make out
MagicMan91 is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #29
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Ill add a little input here

If i were a Saul Alvarez friend / fan or family member , and new my boxing , id be worried here , Canelo is one paced !!! , and Williams generally speaking is multi paced , and when your in a fight with Paul Williams , your fighting to keep him away from you , and slow him down

Only Lara has managed this , Quintana had success as did Margarito , but only Lara for me has definitively beaten him when just standing there and boxing him !!!

Now ................. Martinez KO'd him , this is boxing , sometimes a fighter see's a flaw and throws and lands a perfect shot , it happens , I'm not saying Canelo cannot time Williams nicely coming in because he can , Canelo's main attribute is placement of shot , but if you look at the first Martinez fight and evaluate how accurate and powerful Martinez has looked since , Williams makes for a very difficult opponent to beat if you don't match him shot for shot

Does Canelo have the poise and the output to do exactly what Lara did to Williams ??? not for me he doesn't , he's well schooled but he has flaws , more physical than technical , but he is vulnerable , i think were gonna see him lose here personally

This is the fight I've been calling for , and I'm very happy with it !!! , can't wait
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #30
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

I'm still not sold on Williams being a likely candidate to be stopped anytime soon. Whilst he's so hittable and always walks forward, Sergio caught him with an absolute peach (after landing the same shot stiffly just moments before) and Canelo does not have that kinda' punch in him IMO.
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum