Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #16
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: After watching Foreman-Morrison and Foreman-Stewart......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterion View Post
1991 Tyson beats 1991 Foreman

I agree. George goes the distance though.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #17
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
It's mainly because a 42 year version of George Foreman was competitive with a prime Evander Holyfield.
Competitive as in winning 2-3 rounds out of 12?

How about how competitive George was against Tommy Morrison?
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #18
luke
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
So how do you explain Foreman getting pummeled and easily outboxed by glass jaw slugger Tommy Morrison?

Or getting his faced kicked in by Alex Stewart for 10 rounds, a man Tyson iced in 1 round?

How do You explain Tyson - Buster 'Journyman' Douglas,
luke is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #19
luke
Contender
ESB Senior Member

tyson had to much self doubt to beat foreman, and secondly a 40 year old grandad wouldnt be scared of tysons bs mind games, athleticly tyson would steam roll him, but its not just an athletic thing.
luke is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #20
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
How do You explain Tyson - Buster 'Journyman' Douglas,
Buster Douglas would kill Tommy Morrison
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #21
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
tyson had to much self doubt to beat foreman
So Tommy Morrison didn't?
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #22
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
How could anyone pick a George Foreman over Mike Tyson in 1991? It would be a one sided contest.

Stuart and Morrison both adjusted their fighting styles to move, jab and sport more of an outside fighting game against Foreman, rather than trade with him at close range the way Tyson would have. Its easy to look at what Tyson did to stuart and surmise what he probably would have done to Morrison in an effort to ad 2 + 2, but that isn't exactly a formula that works for me in this instance.

At anyrate, I to would favor Mike Tyson over George Foreman in the early 90's, but I don't think it would be an easy fight. And the Morrison - Stuart comparisons are not what I use to draw my conclusions.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #23
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Stuart and Morrison both adjusted their fighting styles to move, jab and sport more of an outside fighting game against Foreman
Ahh so these B level fighters knew how to become smart and adapt to beat Foreman, but an ATG prime Mike Tyson isn't capable of doing that? I see

Quote:
rather than trade with him at close range the way Tyson would have.
What makes you think a slow as molasses, easy to hit 45 year old man could trade with Tyson? When did 45 year old man fight anything resembling a puncher/finisher like Mike Tyson?
Quote:
At anyrate, I to would favor Mike Tyson over George Foreman in the early 90's, but I don't think it would be an easy fight. And the Morrison - Stuart comparisons are not what I use to draw my conclusions.
It does make a statement about how limited a 1990s George Foreman was
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #24
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
=SuzieQ49;12905935]Ahh so these B level fighters knew how to become smart and adapt to beat Foreman, but an ATG prime Mike Tyson isn't capable of doing that? I see
Never said that he couldn't.. We just never saw him do it.

Quote:
When did 45 year old man fight anything resembling a puncher/finisher like Mike Tyson?
When did Mike Tyson ever face a man with George's combination of size, power, chin, defense and style that was well suited for shorter puncher types?

Quote:
It does make a statement about how limited a 1990s George Foreman was
Yes. As limited as he was, he managed to give a prime Holyfield a better showing than Tyson could against a faded one, and also captured the lineal title against a prime champion with a devastating KO.. Not to mention, surviving 34 comeback fights, without being stopped, only losing to 3 rated opponents ( including the champ ), and retiring at nearly the age of 50..... Yep, he was pretty limited...
Old 05-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #25
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yes. As limited as he was, he managed to give a prime Holyfield a better showing than Tyson could against a faded one, and also captured the lineal title against a prime champion with a devastating KO.. Not to mention, surviving 34 comeback fights, without being stopped, only losing to 3 rated opponents ( including the champ ), and retiring at nearly the age of 50..... Yep, he was pretty limited...
When you deserve to lose fights to Alex Stewart, Tommy Morrison, and Axel Shulz...you are far from an elite fighter.

Quote:
and also captured the lineal title against a prime champion with a devastating KO
How did he get that title shot in the first place? O that's right he was coming off a spectacular one sided loss to a glass jaw fighter.

Good luck stopping Mike Tyson with 1 punch.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #26
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
=SuzieQ49;12906049]When you deserve to lose fights to Alex Stewart, Tommy Morrison, and Axel Shulz...you are far from an elite fighter.
The stuart fight wasn't a robbery. As for the other two, well one could just as easily say the same thing about getting your ass handed to you by James Douglas. These are not my feelings of course, but that seems to be the route you're opting to take.

Quote:
How did he get that title shot in the first place?
Well the landscape of the division in late 1994, didn't exactly make for great selection. Your boy was in jail... Holyfield was in temporary retirement. Lewis had gotten KO'd by McCall a few months prior to Moorer fighting Foreman. Bowe had lost to Holyfield, and hadn't done much in the interim, besides nearly getting DQ'd against Mathis Jr. Morrison beat Foreman, but then got starched in one by Bentt. Foreman may not have been the best choice, but there sure as hell wasn't anyone else who was glaring as the most deserving. And incidentally Moorer had just lifted the title in his last fight, and the champ doesn't always fight the number one guy in his first defense, ( see your man Riddick Bowe. )In either case, Foreman made much better use of that shot than Tyson did against Holyfield and Lewis.

Quote:
Good luck stopping Mike Tyson with 1 punch.
No need for luck.. Foreman wasn't known for stopping his opponents with one shot anyway.

P.S. You seem to have forgotten that I mentioned Tyson should be favored.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #27
Sangria
Contender
ESB Senior Member

It's not like Stewart ran from Foreman. He stood in the pocket and traded at times, planted his feet and landed some monster shots to a stationary target. Stewart pretty much boxed like he always did with a little added movement. Nothing spectacular there.

What Foreman did in his comeback was amazing, at least against the competition he faced. He was more durable than Ruddock but was he as dangerous? Ruddock gets shit on a lot here but he was the most dangerous heavyweight since, well, Tyson. Nobody wanted a piece of him. A big heavyweight with a 10 fight KO streak and confidence up to here.

This was a Foreman thread, right?
Sangria is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #28
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Quote:
How could anyone pick a George Foreman over Mike Tyson in 1991? It would be a one sided contest.
Which is ultimately why it was never made ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #29
MrOliverKlozoff
The guy in shades
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Q, Sir Lards A Lot aka Big George learned how to hypnotize people in his ten year retirement. That's how he managed to do this to people's minds and make them think he'd steamroll Mike Tyson. It's the only reason I can think of for otherwise intelligent people to think he wouldn't have his ginormous turds pushed in my Tyson.
MrOliverKlozoff is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 12:34 AM   #30
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
Never said that he couldn't.. We just never saw him do it.

When did Mike Tyson ever face a man with George's combination of size, power, chin, defense and style that was well suited for shorter puncher types?

George Foreman was extremely limited during his comeback. He handpicked his opponents to an almost laughable degree. The only time he went out on a limb and fought anyone good was when there was a title on the line. It's not hard to go undefeated in 34 fights if you fight tomato cans and has-beens. Sure, George was big, strong, and durable, but he was very limited. His competitiveness against Holyfield had more to do with his durability and tenacity than with any boxing skill or talent. Holyfield in 1991 was not a big puncher, and George being 257 pounds took a lot of punishment without being stopped or dropped. But the fight wasn't close!
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum