Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-18-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
p.Townend
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 100
Default Prince Rodney

Can anyone else remember him 2 time British champ and a mate of my dads.Just think he deserves a mention!
p.Townend is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prince Rodney

Yep, I was just getting into boxing when Prince Rodney was fighting. TBH I only remember seeing him a couple of times, the KO to Graham and (I think) the KO of Cable or Batten. I'm not sure I'd remember him at all but he was on BBC 1 on Saturday afternoons several time and the name really stuck in my mind as a kid.

Hope he's doing well?
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2009, 05:45 AM   #3
Night-Nurse
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post

Hope he's doing well?
Prince Rodney is currently working in the Huddersfield area setting up an amateur/community gym! Using Chris Astons gym...considering that he's only been up and running since Oct/Nov, he hasn't got a bad bunch of lads training there already! With a young bloke in the process off getting his amateur training/coaching badges also!
Night-Nurse is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2009, 05:57 AM   #4
SleazeNation
Coal Black Horse
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1937

Can someone remind me of the song that has a lyric about Prince Rodney in it, probably a UK hip hop thing.
SleazeNation is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
FIGHTJUNKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.Townend View Post
Can anyone else remember him 2 time British champ and a mate of my dads.Just think he deserves a mention!

Yeah, I remember him well, very good boxer to watch with a nice style and decent punch, I seem to remember he had an eye injury which hampered his career. Scored a cracking ko of Jimmy Cable to regain the British title, I remember the punch literally lifted cable off his feet... but Rodney seemed to fade as a fighter after that bout, maybe his eye?.
Good to hear that he's doing ok and getting involved with boxing again, I;m sure he can be a great asset for youngsters with all his experience... all the best Prince
FIGHTJUNKIE is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2009, 05:12 PM   #6
p.Townend
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 100

Got some stats from the man himself.
Fought 43
won 38
lost 5
He beat Jim batton to win title at light middle,but had to give it up due to an eye injury caused training with Mark Kaylor.He won it back later against Jimmy Cable and defended it against Mick Courtney in the isle of man.He never got a shot at the european title despite being no.1 contender.He eventually lost to Chris Pyatt and moved up to middleweight for a few fights.He did not box at middle for long before retiring.As has been pointed out above he is now running a gym in Huddersfield,and doing well.He was pleased to hear we were discussing him on here.

Last edited by p.Townend; 01-19-2009 at 05:30 PM.
p.Townend is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2009, 03:35 AM   #7
57philbox

prince rodney is one of the nicest and most astute guys in the boxing world. he has steel in his veins and compassion in his heart!London promoters kept thinking he would be beaten, but he walked into the lions den and bashed jimmy batten,and won the lonsdale belt outright by beating jimmy cable and mick courtney.a real old school unheralded tough fighter,never given any favours....you just have to admire him!
57philbox is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2012, 05:56 AM   #8
Boxingbeats

vCash: 500

I remember the one round victory over and Cable and Chris Pyatt busted him up for mid round stoppage
Boxingbeats is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #9
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Really nice Guy.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2012, 06:41 AM   #10
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

A very decent domestic fighter. Bounced back well form the Bomber defeat. Beat top domestic quality in Anderson, Batten and Cable. It took someone with the quality of Pyatt to finally end his reign.

I also think of Rodney when Aaron fights, it is nice the 'Regal' tradition is continuing in the domestic 154lbs division.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #11
im sparticus
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 621

Great guy.
We were debating on opening an am club together.
We got things rolling. He already had his coaching badge and i went and did mine.
However things changed and this is when the economy was on the down turn and he then had to travel to find work,so it never came to fruition.
A1 bloke in and out of the ring.
im sparticus is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #12
Geddy Lee
Contender
ESB Senior Member

remember him , think he was from huddersfield smart boxer , nver known what happend to him but think he trained others in fitness and boxing, blast from the past
Geddy Lee is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum