Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 05-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
deadhead
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 550
Default what would you do in this situation? Sparring question

So I've started light sparring 2 days ago, my sparring parter is about 4 inches taller than me but weights the same (123) He has long lanky arms and tends to run backward when I come foreword and he just slap my jabs away with his long arms. I'm having trouble getting through that, the only time i hit him is to the body and a few straight rights to the head after I jab to his head a few times (which are usually blocked), and even then he is to far to put some power into it. I know we are just light sparring but the only way i can seem to hit him is with arm punches and wild haymakers to get around his defense, the second i throw the jab he starts running away and i get tired chasing him around. what strategies could I use to get through this?
deadhead is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: what would you do in this situation? Sparring question

Just be patient and make sure to throw lots of feints. If he is backing up then use footwork to steer him closer to the ropes, throw some feints. Usually these types end up slapping thin air when you feint them, when he does crack him with a right hand.

I know a guy like this and they are typically very twitchy. Their mind is geared so that as soon as you throw a punch they parry, but if you feint it leaves him open as well as making him unsure of your next move which leads to more openings.
Matty lll is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Instead of chasing him around, try using some lateral movement to cut off the ring and keep him closer to arms length away.

I can feel your frustration though. There was a guy at our gym that was our weight but about 5 inches taller and lanky as hell. It was hard to get inside his reach but not impossible, and once inside, it negated his power and his reach worked against him.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Follow him to the ropes, step to the side and go downstairs.

Exactly what I meant when I said use lateral movement instead of just following him. If he moves back and to his right , you move forward and to your left, etc. Sooner or later he runs out of real estate and has his back against the ropes where you can do your thing.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo2176 View Post
Exactly what I meant when I said use lateral movement instead of just following him. If he moves back and to his right , you move forward and to your left, etc. Sooner or later he runs out of real estate and has his back against the ropes where you can do your thing.
Which is what I meant by use footwork to steer him to the ropes
Old 05-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
deadhead
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Now that I think about the only time i hit him clean to the head was when i feinted. and you are absolutely right, he is very twitch you, i barely have to move and he tries to parry. The problem is with his reach it's hard to land a clean shot, all he has to do is hold his arm straight out. He also has the advantage of been boxing for 6 months and me only for about a month. I still feel pretty even if it weren't for his reach. He's very jumpy and once i hit him he's on defense, i was testing him and leaving my self open when i was throwing as many punches as i could (majority were parried).

Whenever I land a clean shot to hit head or get close he instantly gets low and puts his shoulder into my stomach and chest bobbing out. This is when i can get body shots, but this is also right before he runs away again.. I've watched him spar other guys and he always does the same thing.
deadhead is offline  Top
Old 05-25-2012, 01:34 AM   #7
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I had a hard matchup with a lanky bloke. The best thing is to cut of the ring and keep him moving back. A lot of head movement or parrying his punches. He will throw lots of jabs then load up on the right. Work his body and break the will. You control the pace and affective aggression and the Ropes and footwork are your friends against tall blokes
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 05-25-2012, 05:38 AM   #8
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead View Post
Now that I think about the only time i hit him clean to the head was when i feinted. and you are absolutely right, he is very twitch you, i barely have to move and he tries to parry. The problem is with his reach it's hard to land a clean shot, all he has to do is hold his arm straight out. He also has the advantage of been boxing for 6 months and me only for about a month. I still feel pretty even if it weren't for his reach. He's very jumpy and once i hit him he's on defense, i was testing him and leaving my self open when i was throwing as many punches as i could (majority were parried).

Whenever I land a clean shot to hit head or get close he instantly gets low and puts his shoulder into my stomach and chest bobbing out. This is when i can get body shots, but this is also right before he runs away again.. I've watched him spar other guys and he always does the same thing.
Feint and then mix it throw to the body and that leaves his head open and then go up top.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
deadhead
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I'm having my 3rd sparring session tuesday against someone who is my height, I've watched this guy spar before and I see how he fights, he's got about 8 pounds on me, he hits harder (i know it's sparring but his punches are more solid then the last guy from what it looks like) but he's much slower, He likes to walk you down to the ropes with his jab usually a double then throw his right. My advantage is speed but my boxing skills are not that great at the moment, What would be a good tactic to go against this guy?
deadhead is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2012, 12:38 AM   #10
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead View Post
I'm having my 3rd sparring session tuesday against someone who is my height, I've watched this guy spar before and I see how he fights, he's got about 8 pounds on me, he hits harder (i know it's sparring but his punches are more solid then the last guy from what it looks like) but he's much slower, He likes to walk you down to the ropes with his jab usually a double then throw his right. My advantage is speed but my boxing skills are not that great at the moment, What would be a good tactic to go against this guy?

All good things start with the jab-----preferably your jab, not his. His weight advantage of 8 lbs. is not a real factor in sparring, so don't focus on it.

If you know he likes to get you to the ropes, avoid them and keep it centered in the ring if that is where you believe you have the advantage.

If you believe you are faster than him, then use your hand and foot speed to your advantage. Engage him on your terms, not his. Jab, Jab, Jab,--then follow up on that with your power punches, hooks, work to the body, etc.

Don't be scared of in-fighting. If he allows you to get your head into his chest, double hook him, first to the ribs then to the head and see if he likes that.

Let us know how you did with this guy.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #11
deadhead
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Thanks man, maybe i'm not faster but i throw more punches, i like to throw 4-5 punch combinations get in using the jab and get out, he only throws combos when i'm against the rope. First time i sparred when i dug my head into the guys chest i got hit with an uppercut hard enough to make my head gear go flying off! He's been boxing for about a year so he can last longer, i'm working on roadwork so i don't get so tired.
deadhead is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #12
123ko
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Don't follow him around the ring ,,step to the sides to cut of the ring ,try 2 or 3 jabs before you do your combo's
123ko is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #13
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

Don't waste energy. Cut off the ring patiently, move your head, and stick him with a JAB if he tries a sudden move to escape.

When you get him close to the ropes, rush him while throwing a bodyshot HARD. Make contact with him as if you're going to clinch, and bump him off or take half a step back and unload a combo. Get out and repeat entire process. You will outland and frustrate him.

The key is the rush-step back. He'll likely try to hold you or push you away. When you step back or push him off, his arms will be extended and you'll be in perfect power range.

I know this because I'm that tall guy lol
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #14
dreamchamp
Journeyman

use feints with your jab. Feint a jab then throw one
dreamchamp is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2012, 11:26 PM   #15
rodney
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Back him up with triple jabs, followed by combinations / punches in bunches. Step it up, don't be so nice. Focus & work hard.
rodney is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing