Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #16
deadhead
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 550
Default Re: what would you do in this situation? Sparring question

I'm sparring a kid that has a 15 pound weight advantage, I know weight shouldn't effect sparring but we spar pretty hard, he knows I'm newer so he doesn't go 100% but he always walks me down, I will throw a 4-6 punch combo then retreat but that just murders my energy because i end up running away until I see a shot, I throw my jab while I back up and I'll usually lunge foreword when I know he can't hit me to throw the combos, I end up throwing the faster punches in 4-6 combos but he throws the cleaner single shots and the 1-2 or 1-1-2. How can I use my speed to my advantage?
deadhead is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #17
deadhead
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 550
Default Re: what would you do in this situation? Sparring question

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Again, you're wasting movement and energy. Don't just run away, stand your ground too. I know how difficult it is when your sparring partner is bigger than you, but you can't keep running away if it's not working. He's walking you down (I'm guessing here) maybe because you're moving in straight lines. Step to the side.
I get the feel you don't want to get punched in the head because of the weight disparity. So try to lessen the punishment not just by using lateral movement, but by blocking or slapping away punches with elbows and hands.

If you're faster than him, step in range and throw three or four punches then turn him or move to the side. Want to see an expert at turning their opponent? Watch some footage of Michael Nunn. Pop him a few times then move, but never backward. Always to the sides.

Checked some vids out of him, That was pretty impressive! I do find myself backing up and going on the defense once I start getting hit. I'm going to work on throwing my combos while moving to the side. Thanks for the helpful advice!
deadhead is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing