Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
Philly-Tough
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Chris Eubank Resume

Apart from his obvious big wins (Benn, Watson etc) is there much quality to the rest of his resume.
Philly-Tough is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Chris Eubank Resume

Malinga (future champ), Lindell (former champ), Rocchigiani (former/future champ) are obviously a good trio of wins. Tony Thornton was no slouch - he was rated #1 by all four bodies.
atberry is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Ronnie Essett looked real good earlier in his career.
atberry is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
FJay
Journeyman

vCash: 75

no
FJay is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

eubank did a deal where he fought a "title fight" each month for ten months. A lot of those fights could have went either way and they were nobody special. chris was a talent but he drifted during this period. Maybe it was the weight or he was just up his own arse too much. The fights with carl thompson are underrated though.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 301

Malinga was unlucky; Thornton gave him fits...

The win in Germany was excellent, as was the win over Wharton. Flattening Jarvis was a boost to the resume.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Thought Eubank comfortably won eight rounds rather clearly against Malinga just out-jabbing him.

And certainly Thornton didn't appear to give him fits - Chris boxed his brains off and smashed his body up.
atberry is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #8
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 301

Quote:
Originally Posted by atberry View Post
Thought Eubank comfortably won eight rounds rather clearly against Malinga just out-jabbing him.

And certainly Thornton didn't appear to give him fits - Chris boxed his brains off and smashed his body up.
Malinga was on the 'anything Eu can do' Benn tour, it was a very close fight, but not as close as Benn/MalingaI, which was arguably a robbery. Thornton gave Eubank fits, Toney 'boxed his brains off'.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I don't see where Tony T gave Eubank fits - Eubank bagged the first 4-5 rounds with sensational boxing....Toney lost most of the first six with lazy, medicore work.
atberry is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

If there's one fighter I can't stand to watch, it's Eubank, or should I say Eubanks. Actually there are a fair few notable British boxers who are difficult to admire stylistically, including Naseem Hamed, Joe Calzaghe and Ricky Hatton.

Eubank to me looked stiff, inaccurate and lazy. He was a hard puncher with a stone head but didn't fight like it, and unfortunately he lacked the sophistication and wizardry needed to pull off a style like his.

Listen to me expecting everyone to be a Jose Napoles! Eubank was pretty good, but definitely short of great, not that anybody is insinuating that.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 11:50 PM   #11
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Funny you mention Napoles, Eubank was imo one of the few fighters of that era who had those kind of head slips and upper body shifts down strongly.

He too often didn't seem to have all his skills sharp at once(especially by the time of the dubious fight every month world tour thing he did at the end of his reign) and was never any good on the front foot, but i'd never call him a stiff fighter when he was anywhere near his best.
lora is offline  Top
Old 05-25-2012, 03:48 AM   #12
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
If there's one fighter I can't stand to watch, it's Eubank, or should I say Eubanks. Actually there are a fair few notable British boxers who are difficult to admire stylistically, including Naseem Hamed, Joe Calzaghe and Ricky Hatton.

Eubank to me looked stiff, inaccurate and lazy. He was a hard puncher with a stone head but didn't fight like it, and unfortunately he lacked the sophistication and wizardry needed to pull off a style like his.

Listen to me expecting everyone to be a Jose Napoles! Eubank was pretty good, but definitely short of great, not that anybody is insinuating that.
this is exactly how I feel about him, and that lobbing big slapping right hand he'd throw... anyway a good/very good fighter but thats it.

Good wins, sure! and some good opponents, of course!
but he's not among the best of britain, in the true sense of the word.
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 05-25-2012, 04:03 AM   #13
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

He never beat anyone as good as Iran Barkley. But, that's to be expected, as Barkley's one of the top ten p4p greats of the sport. So, you can't hold that against him. That's for sure.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 05-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #14
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

992-02-01 [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] w pts 12 [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], National Indoor Centre, Birmingham, England - WBO. Referee: Steve Smoger. Scorecards: 116-112, 115-113, 112-115. Fighting for the first time since the Michael Watson tragedy it was unclear as to how Eubank (16 would react in this title defence, but after a round or so he was back in the groove and in the fifth he sent Malinga (167) crashing down from a terrific right to the head. Although Malinga made it up he was still shaky and was taking some heavy blows when the bell came to his rescue. However, from there on the fight slowed dramatically as both men tired and there little action worthwhile to mention, but how one of the judges saw Malinga winning was outrageous to say the least.
atberry is offline  Top
Old 05-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #15
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle1 View Post
and that lobbing big slapping right hand he'd throw...
It actually dropped Malinga, who hadn't been down before
atberry is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum