Boxing News 24 Forum
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #16
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ireland
Posts: 2,628
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Chris Eubank Resume

Ray Close beat him in glasgow
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #17
Mod-Mania
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 355
vCash: 500
Default Re: Chris Eubank Resume

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
Malinga was unlucky; Thornton gave him fits...

The win in Germany was excellent, as was the win over Wharton. Flattening Jarvis was a boost to the resume.
Hardly, Jarvis was mediocre at the very best.
Mod-Mania is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #18
Brownies
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,387
vCash: 500
Default Re: Chris Eubank Resume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
He never beat anyone as good as Iran Barkley. But, that's to be expected, as Barkley's one of the top ten p4p greats of the sport. So, you can't hold that against him. That's for sure.
When you beat a legend...
Brownies is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #19
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,831
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Chris Eubank Resume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Tough View Post
Apart from his obvious big wins (Benn, Watson etc) is there much quality to the rest of his resume.
No.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #20
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 23,226
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Chris Eubank Resume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Tough View Post
Apart from his obvious big wins (Benn, Watson etc) is there much quality to the rest of his resume.
IMO , no.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #21
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,422
vCash: 2666
Default Re: Chris Eubank Resume

I don't see how you can argue that Eubank faced soft opposition

Benn x 2
Watson x 2
Malinga
Rocchigiani (undefeated)
Holmes
Thornton
Calzaghe (undefeated)
Collins x 2
Way above his natural weight he fought CW world champ Carl Thompson x 2

Eubank was a warrior, I hope he makes it into the hall of fame along with Benn
knockout artist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #22
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 23,226
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Chris Eubank Resume

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
I don't see how you can argue that Eubank faced soft opposition

Benn x 2
Watson x 2
Malinga
Rocchigiani (undefeated)
Holmes
Thornton
Calzaghe (undefeated)
Collins x 2
Way above his natural weight he fought CW world champ Carl Thompson x 2

Eubank was a warrior, I hope he makes it into the hall of fame along with Benn
Too many close fights with dross , conspicuous abscences from his record. Jones, Toney, Nunn,Barkley,Johnson, McClellan,McCallum,Jackson,Kalambay = big fish little pond.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #23
Colonel Sanders
NSB defector
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,720
vCash: 500
Default Re: Chris Eubank Resume

I've read a pretty fine piece on the scene a while back where Eubank was breaking down his own resume.

Too lazy to find it now
Colonel Sanders is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #24
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ireland
Posts: 2,628
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Chris Eubank Resume

just noticed yet again, convieniently missed that ray close DID beat him in glasgow. Regardless of his career, he WAS beat that time (amongst others)
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #25
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,587
vCash: 500
Default Re: Chris Eubank Resume

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmaff36 View Post
just noticed yet again, convieniently missed that ray close DID beat him in glasgow. Regardless of his career, he WAS beat that time (amongst others)
imo close has a much better argument of winning the rematch.He was very lucky to get the draw in Glasgow, a gift for him not Eubank who controlled the fight other than a 3-4 round portion in the middle(and floored him late) where he had his customary less sharp and active period he seemed to have in most fights.
lora is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:51 AM   #26
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,831
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Chris Eubank Resume

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmaff36 View Post
just noticed yet again, convieniently missed that ray close DID beat him in glasgow. Regardless of his career, he WAS beat that time (amongst others)
Yeah, I thought Close beat him but it was close (no pun intended).
I remember the announcement was a bit fumbled or the crowd were too loud and Eubank didn't hear the scores and was surprised in the post-fight interview when they told him it was a draw, he couldn't accept it.

But there were other similar fights against some mediocre challengers that were way too close.
Eubank's reign at 168 was pretty poor.

The Rocchigiano result was good, and the win over Wharton was impressive. I thought Benn had an edge in their "draw".
the rest of the reign was mostly shit.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:47 AM   #27
sas6789
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 413
vCash: 500
Default Re: Chris Eubank Resume

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
imo close has a much better argument of winning the rematch.He was very lucky to get the draw in Glasgow, a gift for him not Eubank who controlled the fight other than a 3-4 round portion in the middle(and floored him late) where he had his customary less sharp and active period he seemed to have in most fights.
I agree, Eubank clearly won the first Ray Close fight imo, the second one was very hard to score but was much closer
sas6789 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:26 AM   #28
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,392
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Chris Eubank Resume

The big fight I wanted to see him in was when he was #1 WBO contender for michalczewski. But he moved up and took on Thompson instead.

I thought he squeeked by Close. I think the fight he should not have got the nod was against Schommer. When was the last time you heard Dan Schommer mentioned? Man, did that guy ever pull a disappearing act immediately after that fight. I thought the southpaw was really a guy to watch out for.
zadfrak is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:28 AM   #29
Box-Fan
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 300
vCash: 500
Default Re: Chris Eubank Resume

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadfrak View Post
The big fight I wanted to see him in was when he was #1 WBO contender for michalczewski. But he moved up and took on Thompson instead.

I thought he squeeked by Close. I think the fight he should not have got the nod was against Schommer. When was the last time you heard Dan Schommer mentioned? Man, did that guy ever pull a disappearing act immediately after that fight. I thought the southpaw was really a guy to watch out for.
I really wanna see that fight, it's the only Eubank fight i haven't seen.
Box-Fan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #30
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,587
vCash: 500
Default Re: Chris Eubank Resume

Schommer was crap.Probably the worst fighter Eubank defended against alongside Storey.He had a spare tyre around his waist and just edged backward popping off the straight left all night.Fat slow safe opponent.

Of course Eubank was so poor that was enough and he was indeed robbed.

Close only has an argument in the 2nd fight.It would have been Eubank getting reamed had he lost his title in Glasgow.
lora is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015