Other 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default The Welterweight Division...who's next

Good article here, who do you think deserves the shot at the GSP V Condit winners

Quote:
The UFC's Interesting Welterweight Situation

If everything had gone to plan, the UFC would have GSP on the mend, Carlos Condit and Jake Ellenberger meeting for the interim title and a pecking order of two or three fighters behind them. However, some [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] by Martin Kampmann changed all of that. Now the UFC
has an interesting issue, too many qualified contenders. Not the worst problem to have, unless youíre a fighter on the list waiting your turn.

The top of the UFCís crowded Welterweight division got a little more congested last weekend, when Martin Kampmann upset Jake Ellenberger to throw his hat in the ring as a top contender. He ate some punches early, but survived, landed a right hand and then two perfect knees to end the fight in the second round. It was a huge win for Kampmann, but it does create a logjam atop the division. Hereís a short list of welterweights who all can claim number one contender status.

Martin Kampmann
Martin has been on a roll, winning three consecutive fights against huge names. Heís defeated Thiago Alves, Rick Story and [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] now in succession and he wants a shot at Carlos Conditís interim title belt. He holds a split decision victory over Condit, when the two met back in 2009. A rematch would be exciting, and itís hard to argue against Kampmann deserving it.

Johny Hendricks
Not to be forgotten is the super talented wrestler from Oklahoma State, Johny Hendricks. Heís been tearing through competition in the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] going 8-1 since making the leap from WEC. Heís beaten top-level talent like, Josh Koscheck, Jon Fitch, Mike Pierce and Charlie Brenneman with his lone loss coming against Rick Story. Heís won four consecutive fights against the top guys in the division and he deserves a title shot.

Jake Ellenberger
Listen, Jake did just lose to Kampmann, but he nearly finished him in the first round, and the loss doesnít take away what heís accomplished. Heíd won six in a row before that loss, and winning six in a row in the UFC doesnít just happen. He was on a fast track to a title shot, and had he won the fight against Kampmann, he would be at the top of this list.

Nick Diaz
Nick is currently serving a suspension for a failed drug test, but that suspension will end in February and at that point, heíll be back in the mix. He lost a hotly contested decision to Carlos Condit and as soon as he returns, a match with Georges St Pierre will be the biggest PPV draw for the UFC. Itís a fight that will happen; itís just a matter of when, so for that reason, the salty Stockton mean-mugger is on the list.

Honrable Mention Ė Always a win away from the discussion

Rory MacDonald
The precocious Canadian decided it would be a good idea to call out a sleeping giant, in the form of Hall of Famer BJ Penn. Penn who had decided it was cool to lay low on the big island and not fight, turned down a callout from Josh Koscheck, but I guess decided he didnít like MacDonald calling him out. Truth be told, Rory has not faced anyone the caliber of Penn, and calling him out, might come back to haunt him The old adage is be careful what you ask for, you just might get it. A win over Penn however would [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] MacDonald into the mix.

Josh Koscheck
Yes, Josh just lost a tough decision to Johny Hendricks, but heís always a win or two from getting involved in the title picture. He called out BJ Penn, but Penn passed. Something tells me that Koscheck might be looking to move north into the Middleweight division to try his hand there. However if he stays at 170, he can get back in the mix with a win or two.

Siyar Bahadurzada
You might not think he belongs in the mix, but he definitely does. Heís on a seven fight win streak, and made short work of Paulo Thiago in his UFC debut, knocking him unconscious is just 42 seconds. Since moving to Welterweight from Middleweight, heís been unbeatable and has finished all four of his opponents. He brings Golden Glory striking credentials and that should make the Welterweight division very nervous. He was scheduled to face Thiago Alves, but an injury to Alves scrapped that. Instead Siyar will fight Chris Clements. If he wins that fight and then beats a big name in the division, heís right in the mix in the UFC.
Stoo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166
Default Re: The Welterweight Division...who's next

I would like to see Kampmann.....
I think Hendricks deserves it more though....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

In one word Hendricks
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

On a side note, should Carlos have defended the Interim Title?
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Hum....it's a though question...

IMO Kampmann deserve the shot more then anyone else...but I guess something like the winner of Kampann/Hendricks would be the best choice... !!!

and in 2 fight, not the Penn fight the other one, if McDonalds wins it, he is next in line for a titale shot !
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
On a side note, should Carlos have defended the Interim Title?
Who did he defend it against ?? he won the vacant interim against Diaz
Old 06-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
Who did he defend it against ?? he won the vacant interim against Diaz

As opposed to waiting for GSP, should he have had another fight. The Diaz fight was in February
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Kampmann vs. Hendricks for number one contender if Condit decides to wait for GSP.

Hendricks vs. Condit for the interim belt if GSP is out longer than anticipated. Kampmann could also take this fight, as he is pretty much equally as deserving, and Condit's only UFC loss was to him.

My dream fight is Diaz vs. Kampmann, but who knows when or if Diaz is going to return.

Last edited by Rob_Floyd; 06-07-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne5ville14 View Post
Hum....it's a though question...

IMO Kampmann deserve the shot more then anyone else...but I guess something like the winner of Kampann/Hendricks would be the best choice... !!!

and in 2 fight, not the Penn fight the other one, if McDonalds wins it, he is next in line for a titale shot !
When Kampman looks on it , he looks like an elite WW , problem is he has holes in his game , not gaping holes but enough holes to lose fights , Hendricks is on a pretty good run and hasn't lost , i give the nod to Hendricks but i see what your saying

My top 3 in terms of title contender status is Hendricks , Kampman , MacCdonald , Nick Diaz would sit underneath Kampman and above Rory in that pecking order if he was not suspended , incidentally i see Diaz beating Kampman but Kampan has pieced together a better resume of late , if that were to happen Diaz should get a shot at the title , in fact i see Diaz as the number 3 WW in the world for what its worth
Old 06-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Diaz vs. Kampmann is one of my ultimate fantasy matchups.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #11
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post

As opposed to waiting for GSP, should he have had another fight. The Diaz fight was in February
Sorry,

I thought you were questioning whether or not Condit should have a title to defend at all !! all be it an interim one ..............

Yes absolutely , if he believes he's the best WW in the world he's got nothing to worry about has he , it doesn't always work out like that i know but i believe he should of been out by now , I'm some what disappointed by the fact he hasn't TBH
Old 06-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
Diaz vs. Kampmann is one of my ultimate fantasy matchups.
Its a barn stormer , it really is !!!
Old 06-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #13
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Tags : Where you at Georges....

ROLFFF !!!!

Leaving for work....have a good one everyone !
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #14
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
Sorry,

I thought you were questioning whether or not Condit should have a title to defend at all !! all be it an interim one ..............

Yes absolutely , if he believes he's the best WW in the world he's got nothing to worry about has he , it doesn't always work out like that i know but i believe he should of been out by now , I'm some what disappointed by the fact he hasn't TBH

He could have easily taken on Ellen around this time, or another match with Kampy for the reasons Rob pointed out.

Im not one to take an interim title too seriously, but it's a shame the top 3 fighters in the division are all on the shelf for various reasons. Certainly would have helped out a few of the upcoming cards which have been hit with injury, but that's just hindsight talking

I think it will pan out the Kampy/Hednricks winner gets the shot, and Ellenburger will probably fight Alves then Diaz to get his, with R-Mac being the dark horse to step up instead of Nick if he does well against BJ...potentially
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #15
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It should be pointed out that if Erick Silva wins impressively tomorrow, he will likely be thrust into these discussions.

If both Siyar and Erick win their next bouts, I would like to see them in against each other.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum