Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
Bonecrusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 136
Default Your thoughts on the Heavyweights of the Colored era.

I find these fighters and this era fascinating, I always have. I have read and studied these fighters and their fights as long as I have been a fan of the sweet science (which is over 30 years)

I am curious to get some opinions from the board on these men..

Things like who was the best, whats your top 5, who are some unappreciated fighters from this era who you don't feel get their just do??

I am also curious as to how you think some of these fighters would fare in some H2H scenarios vs fighters of different eras..

For fun I have thrown up a few fantasy match ups below.. I know that some of these may seem absurd as some of the eras will be so drastically different but its just for fun fellas.. I will enjoy reading any and all feedback this topic receives, thanks.

After taking the time to give insights on Godfrey for the rest I am just going to assume that based on the vast knowledge of the classic forum you guys don't need that so I will just list the fights..

Fight #1: George Godfrey vs Michael Moorer..
Godfrey had 3 fights with Langford, he lost 2 and had a draw. He was beaten by Sharkey but was able to defeat Paolino Uzcudun.. Godfrey was a 2 time Colored Heavyweight Champion. Godfrey was a big man, reports say he was 6'3 with around an 80inch reach. He weighed 250 vs Carnera in a fight that many feel was fixed as George was hit with a DQ in a fight he was getting the better of.. Godfrey had 95 wins 77 of them by KO!! I don't need to tell you about Moorer as he is well known, but for the record he was 6'2 with a 78inch reach and fought his best at around 215-220 and of course a South Paw..

Fight #2: Peter Jackson vs Evander Holyfield

Fight #3: Denver Ed Martin vs Mike Weaver

Fight #4: Sam McVea vs George Foreman (original George)

Fight #5: Joe Jeanette vs Joe Frazier

Fight #6: Sam Langford vs Mike Tyson

Fight #7: Harry Wills vs Larry Holmes

Fight #8: Jack Johnson vs Muhammad Ali (I know Johnson won the actual title but this is a great matchup)

These fights were just off the top of my head, if you have a cool one I would like to read it..

Last edited by Bonecrusher; 05-25-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Bonecrusher is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2012, 03:37 AM   #2
whosthere
Knock Knock
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Your thoughts on the Heavyweights of the Colored era.

[quote=Bonecrusher;12917945]I find these fighters and this era fascinating, I always have. I have read and studied these fighters and their fights as long as I have been a fan of the sweet science (which is over 30 years) quote]

You mention a couple names here I know nothing about beyond seeing them listed as opponents for more well known fighters like McVae and Langford.
The sparse information I can find online is often conflicting, andI have no way of judging what is reliable and what is not.
Can you recommend a couple of good books on the subject?
whosthere is offline  Top
Old 05-25-2012, 03:45 AM   #3
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Cool that you are so interested. The fights are tough though, guys with loads of footage on YT versus guys we've hardly seen. That does make things difficult and, once again, comes down to how you feel about cross-era comparisons.

For me, fights like Jackson-Sullivan, Jackson-Langford (Especially), McVey-Dempsey are more interesting. But I like your thread. Hopefully you've alrady checked out the Lineage of the Coloured HW title thread stickied at the top of Classic?
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 05-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
Bonecrusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

[quote=whosthere;12918479]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
I find these fighters and this era fascinating, I always have. I have read and studied these fighters and their fights as long as I have been a fan of the sweet science (which is over 30 years) quote]

You mention a couple names here I know nothing about beyond seeing them listed as opponents for more well known fighters like McVae and Langford.
The sparse information I can find online is often conflicting, andI have no way of judging what is reliable and what is not.
Can you recommend a couple of good books on the subject?

Unfortunately brother off the top of my head the titles escape me.. I have read so much over the years, alot before the days of the internet. I also have many old boxing documentaries in my VHS collection. I have a ridiculous amount of boxing mags, books and videos. I taped everything boxing related from around 1980 until about 2008.. You name it I taped it, I pretty much have every thing boxing shown during those 30 years, Tuesday night fights cards, espn, hbo, showtime, ppv, cbs, abc, prime sports hell I even taped fights off BET (yeah they had a card now and then) you get the point... I also had contacts in other countries, they would tape things off British tv and what not for me and we would then make trades for things over here that they wanted... I bought every magazine as well back then, KO, The Ring, Boxing Scene, Boxing Illustrated and more.. Me and my best friends growing up were all completely obsessed with boxing. Like you mentioned though what is accurate and what isn't on some matters is unclear.. I think this also is another reason why the era is just that interesting, you have to dig to find things and so much is still unknown... I will look through my boxing books this weekend and see if I can get you titles of some good reads, honestly though alot of what I know comes from just following the sport so long, getting fighters accounts and what not. Alot of my older magazines would revisit the older eras frequently, I haven't bought a Boxing magazine in many years so I am unsure if they still do that these days. I doubt with the popularity of boxing being at a low and the rise of UFC that there are to many boxing mags on the market these days.. In the 80's-90's there were tons..
Old 05-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
Bonecrusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Hopefully you've alrady checked out the Lineage of the Coloured HW title thread stickied at the top of Classic?

Yeah that is GREAT!!!
Old 05-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
whosthere
Knock Knock
ESB Jr Member

[quote=Bonecrusher;12924511]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosthere View Post

Unfortunately brother off the top of my head the titles escape me.. I have read so much over the years, alot before the days of the internet. I also have many old boxing documentaries in my VHS collection. I have a ridiculous amount of boxing mags, books and videos. I taped everything boxing related from around 1980 until about 2008.. You name it I taped it, I pretty much have every thing boxing shown during those 30 years, Tuesday night fights cards, espn, hbo, showtime, ppv, cbs, abc, prime sports hell I even taped fights off BET (yeah they had a card now and then) you get the point... I also had contacts in other countries, they would tape things off British tv and what not for me and we would then make trades for things over here that they wanted... I bought every magazine as well back then, KO, The Ring, Boxing Scene, Boxing Illustrated and more.. Me and my best friends growing up were all completely obsessed with boxing. Like you mentioned though what is accurate and what isn't on some matters is unclear.. I think this also is another reason why the era is just that interesting, you have to dig to find things and so much is still unknown... I will look through my boxing books this weekend and see if I can get you titles of some good reads, honestly though alot of what I know comes from just following the sport so long, getting fighters accounts and what not. Alot of my older magazines would revisit the older eras frequently, I haven't bought a Boxing magazine in many years so I am unsure if they still do that these days. I doubt with the popularity of boxing being at a low and the rise of UFC that there are to many boxing mags on the market these days.. In the 80's-90's there were tons..
Kind of the same way I was, although I slowed down a lot in the late 90's just because it became harder and harder to see god up and coming fighters on the tube, and when anyone did compile a decent record, Don King and the other bastards who ruined boxing stole them from the public and made you pay extra to see everything.
If I seem a little bitter about this...it's only because I am.
As far as the old timers you talk about, I've always found it interesting how accounts of them as well as opinions of contemporaries vary so wildly. You have to think some of the stuff was hype and some was jealousy or racism, so you're stuck with trying to evalute fighters you never saw based on things like "majority opinion."
Wish someone like Ken Burns would do a good 15 hour documentary about the era and the fighters.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
Bonecrusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

[quote=whosthere;12928651]
Quote:

Kind of the same way I was, although I slowed down a lot in the late 90's just because it became harder and harder to see god up and coming fighters on the tube, and when anyone did compile a decent record, Don King and the other bastards who ruined boxing stole them from the public and made you pay extra to see everything.
If I seem a little bitter about this...it's only because I am.
As far as the old timers you talk about, I've always found it interesting how accounts of them as well as opinions of contemporaries vary so wildly. You have to think some of the stuff was hype and some was jealousy or racism, so you're stuck with trying to evalute fighters you never saw based on things like "majority opinion."
Wish someone like Ken Burns would do a good 15 hour documentary about the era and the fighters.

I hear ya man.. I still watch all the HBO cards, but I rarely shell out for the ppvs.. I frequent alot of different sites and read about boxing as much as I can, but to be honest we were spoiled by the era we grew up in.. The 80-90's were GREAT times for Boxing.. And now like you said fights either don't get made (Pac-Mayweather) or they are on PPV, hell they put fights on PPV now that would have been on Tuesday night fights back in the day... Do you think the UFC has alot to do with boxings decline? I like the UFC (MMA) but its not boxing..
Old 05-26-2012, 11:35 PM   #8
whosthere
Knock Knock
ESB Jr Member

[quote=Bonecrusher;12931742]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosthere View Post

I hear ya man.. I still watch all the HBO cards, but I rarely shell out for the ppvs.. I frequent alot of different sites and read about boxing as much as I can, but to be honest we were spoiled by the era we grew up in.. The 80-90's were GREAT times for Boxing.. And now like you said fights either don't get made (Pac-Mayweather) or they are on PPV, hell they put fights on PPV now that would have been on Tuesday night fights back in the day... Do you think the UFC has alot to do with boxings decline? I like the UFC (MMA) but its not boxing..
Maybe, although I thend to think boxing cut it's own throat by making it dificult for new fans to get into, or established fans to follow the careers of good young fighters on free TV.
UFC has done a great promotional job, but it's hyped itself like pro wrasslin and it's big fights are on ppv as well, so it;s audience is about as big as it will get IMO. Of course that's what some said about telephones back in the day...
Shame we don't get Muay Thai in this country. I think Americans would dig it.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:25 AM   #9
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

The what era ?

I thought this was about color TV, but I guess it means back in the day, when Negroes existed .... ?
Legend X is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2012, 01:17 AM   #10
Bonecrusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend X View Post
The what era ?

I thought this was about color TV, but I guess it means back in the day, when Negroes existed .... ?
I guess a better way to put it would have been, the heavyweights who contended for the "Colored" heavyweight title, or those who were froze out of the title picture because of there race....

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum