Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
masterold
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Swarmer vs Pressure fighter

Is there a difference between these two terms?
masterold is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
whosthere
Knock Knock
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Swarmer vs Pressure fighter

This is how I define the two terms:
A swarmer, is a fighter that attacks immediatly, all offense and little regard for defense. His objective is to overwhelm his opponent with the sheer aggressiveness of his assualt. and the high number of puches landed. Ray Mancini might be a good example of this style.

A pressure fighter is one who stays in front of his oponent and keeps moving forward, never letting his opponent dictate the style, and always looking to make his opponent pay for any mistake or weakness. The pressure fighter may or may not throw a large volume of punches, but will attack any opening, occasionally exposing himself in order to deliver a punch. Roberto Duran is an excellent example of a pressure fighter.

The primary difference IMO, is that the pressure fighter is more controlled and more calculating, looking to expose weakness, where a "swarmer" seeks instead to create a weakness.

I'm sure other posters will define them differently.
whosthere is offline  Top
Old 05-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think they're one and the same. the modus operandi of a swarmer is to apply pressure through volume..pressure is pressure.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 05-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
whosthere
Knock Knock
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
I think they're one and the same. the modus operandi of a swarmer is to apply pressure through volume..pressure is pressure.
True. Maybe "swarmer" then would be a subclassification of "pressure fighter, " since it is one of several ways to apply pressure.
How would you differentiate the styles of Mancini and Duran, if you had to put a label on them?
Old 05-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

I wouldn't describe Foreman as a swarmer, but he was certainly a pressure fighter due to his economic efficiency at cutting the ring off, and the continual threat his power posed. I suppose there's some distinction that can be made between a swarmer and a pressure fighter, the matter of economy, whether or not making the other guy work harder, or simply overwhelming him with superior volume and conditioning. (This wasn't carefully deliberated, just a quick reply to the question which might provoke further discussion.)
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 05-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosthere View Post
True. Maybe "swarmer" then would be a subclassification of "pressure fighter, " since it is one of several ways to apply pressure.
How would you differentiate the styles of Mancini and Duran, if you had to put a label on them?
Well, Duran was more the complete package of course, than Mancini..but there were similarities as both were relatively short armed aggresive type fighters, but Duran used more intelligent pressure than Mancini, with many changes in his tempo..a more varied tempo than mancini's. pressure played a great part in both of their styles.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

Thinking about it, I guess I've always just thought of swarmers as being pressure fighters that are built more around speed and volume. Joe Frazier's a swarmer, Rocky Marciano's a pressure fighter, and so on, but they work in much the same way.
the cobra is offline  Top
Old 05-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

To properly address your question, both could be described as "pressure fighters, but neither could be properly called a "swarmer", ala Fighting Harada, but Duran, Mancini and harada were alll "pressure fighters" just the same.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cobra View Post
Thinking about it, I guess I've always just thought of swarmers as being pressure fighters that are built more around speed and volume. Joe Frazier's a swarmer, Rocky Marciano's a pressure fighter, and so on, but they work in much the same way.
But both centered their styles around applying pressure....insane pressure.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
whosthere
Knock Knock
ESB Jr Member

Actually, this is a pretty interesting question.
We use the term pressure fighter to describe fighters with very different styles, just as we say Locche and Whitaker were great defensive fighters even though they were stylistcly very different.
So, I've changed my mind.
"Pressure" much like "Defensive" I think is more about philosophy than style.
"Swarmer" then, would be more about style, so the two are not really comparable, as swarmer is a style with a pressure philosphy.
Kind of like comparing "transportation" with "car."
Old 05-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
masterold
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosthere View Post
Actually, this is a pretty interesting question.
We use the term pressure fighter to describe fighters with very different styles, just as we say Locche and Whitaker were great defensive fighters even though they were stylistcly very different.
So, I've changed my mind.
"Pressure" much like "Defensive" I think is more about philosophy than style.
"Swarmer" then, would be more about style, so the two are not really comparable, as swarmer is a style with a pressure philosphy.
Kind of like comparing "transportation" with "car."
Cheers for all the replies but I think this is the best description. So in essence a swarmer is a type of pressure fighter, ie someone like JM Marquez or even Andre Ward could be described as a counter punching pressure fighter where as someone like Segura or Kirkland would be the more traditional swarming pressure fighter. Agree?
masterold is offline  Top
Old 05-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #12
whosthere
Knock Knock
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterold View Post
Cheers for all the replies but I think this is the best description. So in essence a swarmer is a type of pressure fighter, ie someone like JM Marquez or even Andre Ward could be described as a counter punching pressure fighter where as someone like Segura or Kirkland would be the more traditional swarming pressure fighter. Agree?

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum