Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 05-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #46
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: UFC 146 salaries: Headliners Dos Santos and Mir to make flat $200K paydays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Ok let me try and get this thread back on track...BASE salary

As we all know by now, both Frank & JDS earned a guaranteed $200000 each, with bonus' on top, but as we can all agree nobody can be sure we know how much

Now to add a little perspective at UFC 139
Dan Henderson: $250,000 (no win bonus) def. Maurício Rua: $165,000
Wanderlei Silva: $200,000 (no win bonus) def. Cung Le: $350,000

So after bailing and joining SF, Hendo in his 1st fight back earned more than either JDS & Mur, and Cung, in his 1st fight for the company, only earned less $50 000 than both those guys combined base pay

UFC 141
Alistair Overeem: $385,714.28 (includes $121,428.57 win bonus) def. Brock Lesnar: $400,000

We all know Brock is the biggest draw in the company. But in disclosed pay both he and Alistair earned nearly $800 000 between them and both are known to take a cut of the PPV home guaranteed as well. Not bad for a Non Title fight

UFC 143
Carlos Condit ($55,000 + $55,000 = $110,000) def. Nick Diaz ($200,000)
Fabricio Werdum($100,000 + no win bonus) def. Roy Nelson ($20,000)
Again, the former WEC and now UFC guy in Condit earns substantially less than the guy who fought for SF and bailed on his title fight with GSP. And Werdum v Nelson speaks for itself really

So what does that tell us. Do the guys who come in from outside the Zuffa umbrella know something the UFC company men like Mur and Junior dont when they are negotiating their deals?

Or is this an admission that Strikeforce was better at building box office draws than Zuffa is with guys who've practically spend the last few years fighting for them?
Ahhh Stoo my man! See now this is what i'm talking about. Glad we both speak English and most of all understand it!
This was VERY clear from my initial post, IS the point. I'm not interested in speculating on undisclosed sums of money that no one knows about and neither did i EVER mention this. But the FLAT salary both guys earned seems somewhat non-descript when both are home grown products worth millions to the brand. Twas merely an observation. But who knew it would illicit such a response from Mother Teresa...I mean OpieFag.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #47
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: UFC 146 salaries: Headliners Dos Santos and Mir to make flat $200K paydays

Im not sure if the UFC have picked up these guys SF contracts and the pay scale, excluding Brock obviously, Im sure Mr Cooling...um will...um have a better idea of that. And Im sure that is going to be cited as one of the reasons they went bust and had to sell. Still a slap in the face considering the profit disparity between a UFC and Strikeforce event though

But the Nelson v Werdum pay difference is a ****ing joke. ''5 figure contract''... rape is more apt considering he's fighting top 10 guys each go around. I really do hope the locker room bonus are all they are cracked up to be just for his sake. At least he finally got a win this weekend and doubled his wage.

And haggis doesnt let a little think like reading get in the way of his chance to belittle someone, been there myself a few times. He just makes an idiot of himself in the long run, he'd be in danger of being a half decent poster otherwise. Just ignore him, there'll be a Jones thread along to amuse him shortly
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #48
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Im not sure if the UFC have picked up these guys SF contracts and the pay scale, excluding Brock obviously, Im sure Mr Cooling...um will...um have a better idea of that. And Im sure that is going to be cited as one of the reasons they went bust and had to sell. Still a slap in the face considering the profit disparity between a UFC and Strikeforce event though

But the Nelson v Werdum pay difference is a ****ing joke. ''5 figure contract''... rape is more apt considering he's fighting top 10 guys each go around. I really do hope the locker room bonus are all they are cracked up to be just for his sake. At least he finally got a win this weekend and doubled his wage.

And haggis doesnt let a little think like reading get in the way of his chance to belittle someone, been there myself a few times. He just makes an idiot of himself in the long run, he'd be in danger of being a half decent poster otherwise. Just ignore him, there'll be a Jones thread along to amuse him shortly
Faggis and half decent is an oxymoron In all my years of being on this board iv never read anything from him that added any value to any discussion. He's just an obtuse cunt with an opinion. Easily ignorable. But always entertaining!

And i would have thought the likes of Silva/Overeem etc negotiated new contracts on their arrival in the UFC. Wouldn't make any sense for the UFC to honour prior commitments unless they were a name of the magnitude of Fedor. Which may explain the reason for the drop in flat salarys as its not like they have options.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #49
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I think Werdum was a contract they picked up from Strikeforce. Diaz, Henderson and Cung Le are all new deals.

I would think the reason why Diaz, Henderson and Cung Le got paid more than Nelson would be obvious. Diaz, Henderson and Cung Le all had leverage whereas the UFC thought so little of Nelson they made him go through TUF to fight.
Will Cooling is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #50
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
Faggis and half decent is an oxymoron In all my years of being on this board iv never read anything from him that added any value to any discussion. He's just an obtuse cunt with an opinion. Easily ignorable. But always entertaining!

And i would have thought the likes of Silva/Overeem etc negotiated new contracts on their arrival in the UFC. Wouldn't make any sense for the UFC to honour prior commitments unless they were a name of the magnitude of Fedor. Which may explain the reason for the drop in flat salarys as its not like they have options.
When the UFC bought Strikeforce they went through the deals to convert them to standard Zuffa contracts that would allow fighters to fight in both companies. Fedor and Henderson weren't included in that process because both were out of their Strikeforce deal after their fight last July. Diaz wasn't included in that process because they were desperately trying to convince him not to exercise his right to box and so agreed to sign him to an entirely new contract to get rid of that clause. And Overeem of course was fired by Zuffa from Strikeforce over the Golden Glory fiasco before being resigned to a new deal.

The fighters like Silva, Werdum, etc who are being moved over as part of the winding up of Strikeforce's heavyweight division I think come with their new contracts. Could be wrong on that but haven't heard anything to suggest the contrary. And of course Strikeforce was always likely to have higher base salaries because a) they were paying over the odds to recruit name fighters and b) they didn't go in for bonuses like the UFC (not even X of the Night ones) and c) couldn't offer fighters pay per view points.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #51
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Well they spent $1.2 million on the payroll NOT INCLUDING LOCKE ROOM BONUS' and made $3.4 million in live gate alone. Now even if you round up JDS' pay to a million and use the rest of the gate money for further bonus' running costs ect...basically they are making most of the PPV revenue in pure profit. Not excluding merchandise, foreign TV deals, sponsorship money and so on

Where is all the money going?
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #52
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Just double-checked. Werdum earned $100,000 for the Fedor fight so it looks like these are the old deals.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #53
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Cooling View Post
I think Werdum was a contract they picked up from Strikeforce. Diaz, Henderson and Cung Le are all new deals.

I would think the reason why Diaz, Henderson and Cung Le got paid more than Nelson would be obvious. Diaz, Henderson and Cung Le all had leverage whereas the UFC thought so little of Nelson they made him go through TUF to fight.
I agree with that, but most TUF'ers dont fight as high level guys as Nelson does so early. Just saying
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #54
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
I agree with that, but most TUF'ers dont fight as high level guys as Nelson does so early. Just saying
Personally i think he got chucked in at the deep end because the UFC were hoping to off load him. He obviously doesn't fit the UFC corporate image. That said its clear he's grown on Dana as Nelson comes to fight and offers great value for money.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #55
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Well they spent $1.2 million on the payroll NOT INCLUDING LOCKE ROOM BONUS' and made $3.4 million in live gate alone. Now even if you round up JDS' pay to a million and use the rest of the gate money for further bonus' running costs ect...basically they are making most of the PPV revenue in pure profit. Not excluding merchandise, foreign TV deals, sponsorship money and so on

Where is all the money going?
Well the payroll will end up more than $1.2million - you have to think that there's at least one fighter on ppv points and depending on how well the shows does that could result in them early seven figures by themselves. Running costs are a big thing - I mean I have no figures as to how much it costs to run a show like UFC 146 when you factor in marketing, production, etc etc its got to be a hefty whack. You also have the fact that the UFC model means shows like these cross-subsidize less successful shows i.e. events in foreign countries, new American markets. Then you have to pay down the loans Zuffa's taken out to fund their expansion which are not insignificant.

Oh and after all that, Dana and the Fertitta's cut
Old 05-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #56
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
Personally i think he got chucked in at the deep end because the UFC were hoping to off load him. He obviously doesn't fit the UFC corporate image. That said its clear he's grown on Dana as Nelson comes to fight and offers great value for money.
Agree'd I think Roy is a firm fan favourite now. But I just checked and this was his 6th non TUF fight with the UFC. I guess those losses didnt give him much leverage when renegotiating. Hopefully being a fan favourite will help him in sponsorship deals

Quote:
Well the payroll will end up more than $1.2million - you have to think that there's at least one fighter on ppv points and depending on how well the shows does that could result in them early seven figures by themselves. Running costs are a big thing - I mean I have no figures as to how much it costs to run a show like UFC 146 when you factor in marketing, production, etc etc its got to be a hefty whack. You also have the fact that the UFC model means shows like these cross-subsidize less successful shows i.e. events in foreign countries, new American markets. Then you have to pay down the loans Zuffa's taken out to fund their expansion which are not insignificant.

Oh and after all that, Dana and the Fertitta's cut
I guess it's slightly cheaper in Vegas as I assume they have their crew and equipment all ready to go. They have a pretty big front office staff to pay for aswell, Be very interested to see how much an average show does cost to run.

Im sure they Zuffa boys aint going hungry though
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #57
Old Cat
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big N Bad View Post
i heard they get pretty big backstage bonuses which they dont get taxed.

LOL

I dont know where you live but its all taxed bubba
Old Cat is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #58
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800

Im in the minority here but 200k is about right. The guys exchanged 20 punches and its like 5 minutes work. It was no more than an intense sparring.
chimba is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #59
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Agree'd I think Roy is a firm fan favourite now. But I just checked and this was his 6th non TUF fight with the UFC. I guess those losses didnt give him much leverage when renegotiating. Hopefully being a fan favourite will help him in sponsorship deals

I guess it's slightly cheaper in Vegas as I assume they have their crew and equipment all ready to go. They have a pretty big front office staff to pay for aswell, Be very interested to see how much an average show does cost to run.

Im sure they Zuffa boys aint going hungry though
No promoter ever does
Old 05-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #60
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
No promoter ever does
Must...not...make...Roy Nelson...joke...
Stoo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum