boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 05-26-2012, 11:49 PM   #46
Noneshallpass75
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Froch continues to build a greater legacy than Calzaghe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamE View Post
There is one big difference in legacy. Only one of the two was the best in the division.
And a two weight world champion
Noneshallpass75 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2012, 11:54 PM   #47
lewishamboy
Styles Impetuous
ESB Addict

vCash: 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneshallpass75 View Post
And a two weight world champion
If Froch can beat Pascal again once he's dealt with Cloud then he'll be a 2 weight world champion as well
lewishamboy is offline  Top
Old 05-26-2012, 11:55 PM   #48
des3995
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 6225

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewishamboy View Post
If Byron Mitchell can floor a prime Calzaghe then you can be damn sure Carl Froch could too. And possibly stop him in the ensuing war.

Calzaghe was sweating one out on Ringside the other day talking about Froch. He doesn't even like to mention his name, and that is because Froch is the complete antithesis to Calzaghe in that he has consistently faced the best and Calzaghe knows it.

In a funny sort of way, Froch has exposed Calzaghe without even fighting him.

Whilst all the UK commentators were crooning about how Froch's performance was right up there with Hatton-Tzyu and Bruno-McCall, poor old Calzaghe's name wasn't mentioned once.

Interesting post Lew.
des3995 is offline  Top
Old 05-26-2012, 11:57 PM   #49
Noneshallpass75
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
If Froch can beat Pascal again once he's dealt with Cloud then he'll be a 2 weight world champion as well
IF being the right word, he will fight Kessler next though and Im wondering if that will be his last fight to avenge the defeat

Calzaghe accomplished being world champ at two weights, and in his first fight at the light heavy as well
And against the number one at the weight

And further to those who knock calzaghes legacy, opponents etc Did he not defeat sakio bika? Sakio bika who gave Ward nightmares over 12 rounds?
Old 05-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #50
lewishamboy
Styles Impetuous
ESB Addict

vCash: 2000

Quote:
IF being the right word, he will fight Kessler next though and Im wondering if that will be his last fight to avenge the defeat

Calzaghe accomplished being world champ at two weights, and in his first fight at the light heavy as well
And against the number one at the weight

And further to those who knock calzaghes legacy, opponents etc Did he not defeat sakio bika? Sakio bika who gave Ward nightmares over 12 rounds?
Can't wait for the Kessler rematch if it happens, it'll be another super-close war! H2H we can agree Calzaghe wins against most. I'd pick him to beat Ward. He did a better job on Bika for sure as you say. But we're talking about legacy here, not particular matchup comparisons.
lewishamboy is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 12:09 AM   #51
kmac
On permanent vacation
ESB Addict

vCash: 683

Quote:
If Byron Mitchell can floor a prime Calzaghe then you can be damn sure Carl Froch could too. And possibly stop him in the ensuing war.

Calzaghe was sweating one out on Ringside the other day talking about Froch. He doesn't even like to mention his name, and that is because Froch is the complete antithesis to Calzaghe in that he has consistently faced the best and Calzaghe knows it.

In a funny sort of way, Froch has exposed Calzaghe without even fighting him.

Whilst all the UK commentators were crooning about how Froch's performance was right up there with Hatton-Tzyu and Bruno-McCall, poor old Calzaghe's name wasn't mentioned once.

i saw the sky feed in the states and i was going to make the point that no one mentioned calzaghe.

let's be honest, joe should have been mentioned but i was glad he was not. the was froch's night and he shouldn't have to stand in anyone's shadow.
kmac is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #52
Noneshallpass75
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Can't wait for the Kessler rematch if it happens, it'll be another super-close war! H2H we can agree Calzaghe wins against most. I'd pick him to beat Ward. He did a better job on Bika for sure as you say. But we're talking about legacy here, not particular matchup comparisons.
To defend the title for so long, to go most of his career with brittle hands and still win fights, to unify the super middle titles, and win his first fight against the number one at a new weight and remain undefeated
Calzaghe legacy better
Also Froch has had the benefit of a super six tournament which pitched the best against the best, otherwise would they have avoided one another?

Imagine if the super six idea was in the era of Jones, Hopkins, Eubank, Collins, Calzaghe etc?
Old 05-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #53
kmac
On permanent vacation
ESB Addict

vCash: 683

Quote:
To defend the title for so long, to go most of his career with brittle hands and still win fights, to unify the super middle titles, and win his first fight against the number one at a new weight and remain undefeated
Calzaghe legacy better
Also Froch has had the benefit of a super six tournament which pitched the best against the best, otherwise would they have avoided one another?

Imagine if the super six idea was in the era of Jones, Hopkins, Eubank, Collins, Calzaghe etc?
if the super six would have been in that era, calzaghe would have never entered in it. maybe frank war-ren would have had a his own super six in wales with joe, veit, manfredo, thornberry, reid and sheika.
kmac is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 12:45 AM   #54
Requiem4Hvywht
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 200

True.

But just because FROCH opposition is better does not mean he is better. I was an American that picked joe over lacy on this board and I also won a bet with a coworker when I took FROCH by KO over Taylor.

So no hater here but just be careful about your assumptions on who is better.
Requiem4Hvywht is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 12:58 AM   #55
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Different than Joe. Calzaghe won more against maybe guys not as complete as guys Froch has been fighting yet Joe fought some top guys and won easily on the cards- Froch is starting to have a deep resume in a win most and lose to the top guys. Yet I am not sure Calzaghe would lose to Ward. I doubt it. Calzaghe would not have stopped Bute like this, but he would have won the fight by late knockout or UD.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 01:00 AM   #56
DrX
Contender
ESB Senior Member

froch resume >>>>>> joe cal
DrX is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 01:05 AM   #57
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrX View Post
froch resume >>>>>> joe cal
Yeah but the difference is that Calzaghe wouldn't have knocked out Bute as early and as devastating, but he would have had the win in a clear decision. Still a win. And Calzaghe beat Kessler and would not have lost to Ward. I feel sad for Joe Calzaghe since I think he was such a dominant guy he made decent fights look inept, and that made people think he fought inept guys. Roy Jones complained about the same thing. He said he made good fighters look bad so people thought he didn't fight anyone.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 01:05 AM   #58
ploys

calzaghe has by far the better resume. people who **** on joe's wins will be ****ting on froch's wins somewhere down the line if it suits 'em.

you know how it's gonna go...pascal was actually **** & got schooled by 100 year old b-hop...bute was a glass-chinned hypejob who has been totally exposed...aa was a blown-up mw...taylor was shot to **** & was schooling froch before running out of steam...johnson was a million years old & weight drained & in the middle of a run of 5 losses in 9 fights...dirrell got robbed...he got beat by shot kessler...he got schooled by ward...have i missed any?

time won't be as kind to froch's current run as a lot of you are being now.
ploys is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 05:08 AM   #59
Alf_p
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Froch definitely has shown greater willingness to take on A-level fighters than Calzaghe did for most of his career. He deserves much kudos for this. He is an excellent fighter.

But let's remember, that Froch lost against a somewhat faded (at least in terms of speed and skills) version of Kessler, that Calzaghe beat in his prime.

He took a one-sided defeat against Ward. We can only guess, but I think Calzaghe - Ward would have been an entirely different matter. His win against Dirrell was not uncontroversial.

I cannot praise Froch enough for taking all the tough opposition that he can find, but I think ol' Joe has the best legacy.
Alf_p is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 05:13 AM   #60
Auracle21
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 14814

He passed Calzaghe a long time ago. Props to Froch.
Auracle21 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum