Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 05-27-2012, 06:42 AM   #46
Prescott_Fan
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Does Froch now have a better record than Calzaghe?

Okay, he beat 2 reigning world super-middleweight champions and beat a further 6 fighters who had held a major world title at super-middleweight.
Prescott_Fan is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #47
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOM5153 View Post
Joe was unfortunate that his era was slapbang right in the center of two golden periods of the division. I would like to see some of these big offers he recieve because i think you quite simply pulled that out of your arse. I find it funny as **** when people claim that Joe ducked this guy and that guy yet on closer inspection that specific fight was never on the cards or close to concievable. Hopkins was offered a fight in 2001 i believe and turned it down, its a shame some people are not objective enough to flip the coin and look at things from a different perspective because they are two narrowminded to build a well a constructed arguement. I dont doubt that Froch has the better resume at this point but im not so stupid as to not look at the bigger picture and to understand why Joe was so unlucky.
Offered the Winky Wright fight, Offered the Jermaine Taylor fight, Offered the Glen Johnson fight, Could of fought Pavlik (Big hype about him at the time) or Dawson as his retirement fights but never.

Joe had plenty of chances o fight some big named fighters, but as always, he never.
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 06:47 AM   #48
sg85
Bang on the chan
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Froch > calzaghe.
sg85 is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 06:47 AM   #49
The Genius
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nipple View Post
Overall record is better than Carl's, how?

Fighting a shot to shit RJJ? And still getting dropped in the first round?

Beating Hopkins? Carl beat Pascal who beat Dawson who beat Hopkins.

Beating Lacey? Carl beat Bute and Abraham (Basically, Carl had 2 performances like that).

Woodhall? Froch would of been too much for him.

Bika? Good fight! Carl edges it.

Look, every time Joe had an offer for a big fight he had an excuse. Carl hasn't.

Look, say what you will about the Kessler/Froch-Kesller/Joe result, but history will remember Joe as someone who didn't fight the very best available and as somebody that had an excuse for nearly every fight ("Ooh my hands"). It's not like that for Carl.
Come on...Hopkins beat Pascal. It's stupid comments like this that undermine this discussion.

I don;t give Calzaghe credit for beating 'Roy Jones', but i think he still beat a decent fighter. The fact that it wasn't 'The' Roy Jones tarnishes the win. I think this is unfair. Shot-to-shit fighters do not give Lebedev a good run for his money like Roy did.
The Genius is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #50
Flexe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 350

One more win over a legit opponent then I have Froch above him as the greater fighter. If he rematches Kessler and beats him, then he's defiantly above JC for me.

Froch record is already credible, it's stacked with legit opponents and not bums.
Flexe is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #51
mani0
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Calzaghe was the man at 168 and 175.
mani0 is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #52
Dan684
Dave's Stepdad
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Anyone thinking Calzaghe's record is better than Froch's is a clown.

H2H at their respective primes, argue away, but in terms of opponents faced and the better wins overall, its really not even close.
Dan684 is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #53
DOM5153
They Cannot Run Forever
East Side Guru

vCash: 7562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nipple View Post
Offered the Winky Wright fight, Offered the Jermaine Taylor fight, Offered the Glen Johnson fight, Could of fought Pavlik (Big hype about him at the time) or Dawson as his retirement fights but never.

Joe had plenty of chances o fight some big named fighters, but as always, he never.
and here is the problem...

Would you have given Joe respect if he beat up a blown up light middleweight in Winky Wright... no didnt thinks so.

Glen Johnson was a ****ing journeyman at supermiddleweight, Calzaghe actually beat the guy who had just beat Johnson yet im baffled as to why Johnson was the better fight at that point in time, would you care to explain???

I dont think their was ever any concrete offer or discussions between Camp Calzaghe and Camp Taylor, perhaps if Taylor had not lost to Pavlik the fight would have happened but that pretty much killed off any potential fight.

In hindsight i wish Calzaghe had beaten Pavlik and Dawson in the twilight of his career but i think he genuinly thought that he had been frozen out somewhat by the American legends of the game (not true in RJJ case but true in Hopkins case) so went for their scalps instead and a tasty paycheck to boot. Without the hand issues i think Calzaghe would have continued and would have beaten Dawson but who knows...
DOM5153 is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 07:01 AM   #54
DOM5153
They Cannot Run Forever
East Side Guru

vCash: 7562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexe View Post
One more win over a legit opponent then I have Froch above him as the greater fighter. If he rematches Kessler and beats him, then he's defiantly above JC for me.

Froch record is already credible, it's stacked with legit opponents and not bums.
Does Kessler have enough left to be counted as a dealbreaker, i already have Froch ahead.
DOM5153 is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 07:02 AM   #55
SnoopyboyM
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

He has far better fighters on his record and has been involved in more exciting fights
SnoopyboyM is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #56
The Genius
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan684 View Post

H2H at their respective primes, argue away, but in terms of opponents faced and the better wins overall, its really not even close.
It is close. If Froch has 15 wins against top guys then he blows Calzaghe away. However, Calzaghe can still match Froch's best wins. The fact that Froch did it in this tough sequence sways a lot of people.

We must remember that Froch's opponents are still fighting and their results will affect Carl's resume. I also think lots of other aspects need to be taken in consideration.
The Genius is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #57
Prescott_Fan
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

In terms of opponents beat it's far from as clear cut as you'd like to make out. Froch's win last night at least puts him in the argument, but prior to last night what would you say was his best win? Abraham? He's done nothing at 168, 3 losses against the one win over Taylor. Pascal? Pretty much unproven at 168 but has gone on to have success after moving up immediately after the Froch fight (although he still lost to an even older version of a guy Calzaghe beat). Froch deserves huge credit for the stones he has shown and he's taken on a ridiculously tough string of opponents, but i still struggle to see that he's done enough to have a better record than Calzaghe at this stage. Of course, Froch still has a couple of years left in him so there's every chance he could go on to eclipse Calzaghe but for me he isn't there yet.
Prescott_Fan is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 07:15 AM   #58
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

@ Prescott- What does Carl need to do to better Joe's record, iyo?
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 07:15 AM   #59
joegrundy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2592

Its close, I think with 2-3 more fights Froch will have the better record, I don't think he would have beaten Joe though, I don't think it would have been close either.
joegrundy is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 07:15 AM   #60
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 765

Quote:
Then what do want me to make with the balloons? I learnt to do a pretty good dog at clown school...
TBooze is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum