Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-27-2012, 05:17 AM   #1
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default "One of the best performances ever by a British fighter." Justifiable, historically?

"One of the best performance ever by a British fighter." - Barry McGuigan.

This is after Froch's amazing one-sided demolition of #1 ranked Lucian Bute last night. For those of you who saw it, what do you think?
McGrain is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2012, 05:42 AM   #2
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Default Re: "One of the best performances ever by a British fighter." Justifiable, historical

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post

This is after Froch's amazing one-sided demolition of #1 ranked Lucian Bute last night. For those of you who saw it, what do you think?

Watched it this morning, still watching Carl Frampton on the supporting bill.

Great performance by Froch, with hindsight maybe Bute has been a bit protected, but he was never in it was he?

Don't think he will want the return match.

I fancy Froch to beat Kessler in a rematch , but think Ward has too much all round ability, speed , and skill for the Nottingham man.

Top class effort from Froch who is approaching 35

.I don't think I would want to be leaving such a beautiful lady as he has ,to go running in the early hours, but that's what makes a champ ,and just as importantly keeps him a champ.

Full credit to the guy, he has fought them all, and produced as good a performance as he ever has in this blow- out.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 05:58 AM   #3
trampie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: "One of the best performances ever by a British fighter." Justifiable, historical

Quote:

It reminded me of Calzaghe v Lacy in many ways, the new Mike Tyson as Lacy was called in some quarters was an unbeaten paper weight champion putting it on the line against a real top class boxer for the first time, Lacy was mentally and physically ruined in that fight by Calzaghe and Calzaghe never got the credit for a great win and performance down the line by some fans as he had ruined Lacy for the rest of Lacy's career, the beating Bute took was also so bad that it is likely to have ruined Bute as a top fighter for the rest of his career and down the line some people will say of Froch win over Bute, good win for Froch but Bute wasnt nothing special.

For me Froch was superb on the night and it was an excellent win and performance [just like Calzaghe's over Lacy years earlier], i hope Froch gets the recognition for what was a great performance in 10 years time.
trampie is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 06:08 AM   #4
biglemon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1945

Froch is the best figter to come out of England since Lennox IMO, I'd favour Calzaghe to beat him h2h, but as a complete package Froch has done oh so much more.
biglemon is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 06:11 AM   #5
smitty78
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Haven't seen it but very surprised at the result. Great result for Froch who is a true warrior. He fights everyone. If only the other poms would follow his example, the weak cunts.
smitty78 is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 06:13 AM   #6
smitty78
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglemon View Post
Froch is the best figter to come out of England since Lennox IMO, I'd favour Calzaghe to beat him h2h, but as a complete package Froch has done oh so much more.
Lennox learnt his trade in Canada. So while he might be British, he is a Canadian fighter.
smitty78 is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 06:20 AM   #7
trampie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Froch has now fought lots of named fighters because of the super six tournement, he lost a few of those fights in the tournament against the top boys in Kessler and Ward and beat some of the lesser top fighters that were in the tournament, Froch is making a name for himself for fighting top boxers but this was because he had the opportunity to fight in the super six.
trampie is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #8
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

It's up there, for sure.

Nowhere near say, Honeyghan-Curry.

Who had the better win then? Froch or Joe? Joe went the distance but battered Lacy throughout in a punch-perfect performance. Froch dismantled and battered a guy who seemingly had him outmatched in most attributes.

It comes down to who was better going into the fight IMO. I'd say Bute. He'd look better than Lacy and had shut out Glencoffe, who had taken some rounds off Froch just the fight before.

Lacy's Reid, Scott Pemberton etc etc don't compare IMO.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #9
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Jim Watt,,,,,,,,,

Systematically destroyed #1 WBC-rated Alfredo Pitalua for the vacant WBC Lightweight Title on April 17, 1979
at Kelvin Hall in Glasgow, Scotland.

Going to the 'old-school' straight 1-2 punch from his southpaw stance, Mr. Watt
broke down the 'hard-punching' Columbian who was residing in Mexico City (and slight betting-favorite)
- and stopped him the 12th Round.

Many felt, that the 23 year-old and 'highly-talented' Alfredo Pitalua 29-4-2 (23 KO's) would bust up Mr. Watt's
skin above his eyes with his 'hard-slashing punches', and cause a stoppage via cuts.

After that bout, Alfredo Pitalua at only age 23, was 'never' the same again.

Jim Watt (the new WBC Lightweight Champion) embraces Terry Lawless.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by Senor Pepe'; 05-27-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #10
Lester1583
Can you hear this?
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Who had the better win then? Froch or Joe?.......
Agree.
Lester1583 is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #11
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 765

Quote:

It is probably best waiting until Bute retires, before such a sweeping statement can be made. If Bute comes back strong, McGuigan may have a point, but as mentioned Bute may go the way of Lacy and thus the luster of victory is not quite so...
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 06:31 AM   #12
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester1583 View Post
Agree.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #13
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
It is probably best waiting until Bute retires, before such a sweeping statement can be made. If Bute comes back strong, McGuigan may have a point, but as mentioned Bute may go the way of Lacy and thus the luster of victory is not quite so...
I don't actually agree with this. I think that even if Bute outright retired right now it will still be a good performance over the #1 contender and a heavy favourite.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 06:37 AM   #14
Lester1583
Can you hear this?
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post

I just didn't copy the whole post.

I meant I agree with your opinion.
Lester1583 is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 06:40 AM   #15
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Funny things happen when a guy takes his act on the road. The winning % just never is anywhere near the same as when they have the homecourt advantage. It just makes you appreciate the road warriors and how tough their job really is.

I don't see Bute coming back from this kind of loss. How many guys ko'd in big bouts do?

Now we'll have to see if there is the new trainer or new manager or how the blame game rears its head as well.
zadfrak is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum