Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-27-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Joe Calzaghe vs Carl Froch

This may have been covered before, but it's worth another go IMO. 15 rounds for the super middle crown. What's your call?
red cobra is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
trampie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Joe Calzaghe vs Carl Froch

Joe Calzaghe beats Carl Froch every day of the week by a wide unanimous decision.
trampie is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Neither man has ever fought over 15 rounds, but assuming that their outstanding conditioning would hold them, I like Calzaghe big. I prefer Froch as a man and a fighter, but Calzaghe was a class above IMO. He's physically more gifted, almost as driven, even more difficult to box. Something like 10-5 on my card. He might lose two or three of the last four though to tighten that, you can never tell when you haven't seen either man do the distance.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

I used to always favour joe here but prime for prime I think I now go with carl.

From the fights of his i've seen (pretty much his entire career) he's only been troubled by slick elusive type boxers.

Joe likes to stand and fight and overwhelm with punch variety and angles. He likes to use his footwork and jab to offset his opponent.

Carl can outjab joe if they fight that way. More importantly he can walk down his slaps and nail him with telling punches that would win him the rounds.

Both have fantastic stamina and conditioning so I think it goes the distance. Carl edges an 8-7 type victory.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

No way does Carl outjab Calzaghe. No way. I'd put my house on it. Calzaghe has the best jab in SMW history when it's on. He out-jabbed Kessler ffs and people were talking about his as being the best jab in the world before their fight. The only guy predicting Calzaghe would out-jab Kessler that I read was dismissed as a nutter.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #6
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
No way does Carl outjab Calzaghe. No way. I'd put my house on it. Calzaghe has the best jab in SMW history when it's on. He out-jabbed Kessler ffs and people were talking about his as being the best jab in the world before their fight. The only guy predicting Calzaghe would out-jab Kessler that I read was dismissed as a nutter.
I kindly disagree, I think froch beats him to the punch with his jab and walks through joe's own jab.

Infact I thought froch himself outjabbed mikel when they fought.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
trampie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Neither man has ever fought over 15 rounds, but assuming that their outstanding conditioning would hold them, I like Calzaghe big. I prefer Froch as a man and a fighter, but Calzaghe was a class above IMO. He's physically more gifted, almost as driven, even more difficult to box. Something like 10-5 on my card. He might lose two or three of the last four though to tighten that, you can never tell when you haven't seen either man do the distance.
I agree with your assessment, Froch is so well liked and respected that a lot of people will pitch him higher than they probably should compared to all boxers in general and not just Joe Calzaghe.

When comparing Calzaghe and Froch we have one boxer who is disliked in some quarters and one boxer that is generally liked, if personalities are taken out of it and they are judged on their results in the ring then Calzaghe is miles better both in quality of wins and in a head to head match up senario, we even have Kessler as a direct form line.
trampie is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Infact I thought froch himself outjabbed mikel when they fought.
It was close.

When Calzaghe fought Kessler, the battle of the jabs was not close. Joe dogged him.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
HerolGee
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

See, if the fight had happened, you know that Calzgahe wouls have stipulated a fight in Wales, like he usually did. He knew how to improve his chances for a points victory, getting a Welsh ref and crowd in with him was vital to a lot of his early stoppages and scrapey points wins.

And sadly, Carl Froch would have taken the bait becuae he is so fearless, and you know what happens then - the welsh ref would have cut Froch out the game and helped Zaghes to a points win, cancelling out Zgahes defensive weaknesses. Add to that, Zaghes was better ring tech.

So I am sorry Froch fans, but in the REAL WORLD, prmie Cal is always going to take prime Froch.

Though prime Froch takes old Zaghes without a doubt.
HerolGee is online now  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #10
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
It was close.

When Calzaghe fought Kessler, the battle of the jabs was not close. Joe dogged him.
I think I had froch winning 7-5 and joe winning 9-3.

Obviously we'll never know for certain since the two will never fight. But I suspect froch would win a close fight with his ability to walk joe down being the difference.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
trampie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerolGee View Post
See, if the fight had happened, you know that Calzgahe wouls have stipulated a fight in Wales, like he usually did. He knew how to improve his chances for a points victory, getting a Welsh ref and crowd in with him was vital to a lot of his early stoppages and scrapey points wins.

And sadly, Carl Froch would have taken the bait becuae he is so fearless, and you know what happens then - the welsh ref would have cut Froch out the game and helped Zaghes to a points win, cancelling out Zgahes defensive weaknesses. Add to that, Zaghes was better ring tech.

So I am sorry Froch fans, but in the REAL WORLD, prmie Cal is always going to take prime Froch.

Though prime Froch takes old Zaghes without a doubt.
Only 18 of Calzaghes 46 fights was in Wales, including 5 of the first 7 when he was starting off .
25 of Froch's 31 fights have been in England, including 14 in Notts itself and 1 on the doorstep in Derbys.

Last edited by trampie; 05-27-2012 at 10:04 AM.
trampie is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #12
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Calzage would not lay on the ropes like Bute did....Calzage UD with some exciting moments
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #13
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Calzaghe by wide UD, possibly visiting the canvas once though. Froch is a touch too slow, he'd eat a load of leather in this one. Not as much as Lacy, but a boatload nonetheless.

Calzaghe darting in and out, outworking Froch, getting hit but taking it well, rounds in the bank. He has the chin, the stamina and ring generalship to be a wide odds-favorite to last until the end, and I can't see him losing many rounds against Carl Froch.

Consider the fight Froch had with Jermaine Taylor when predicting this match-up.
Shake is online now  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trampie View Post
Only 18 of Calzaghes 46 fights was in Wales, including 5 of the first 7 when he was starting off .
25 of Froch's 31 fights have been in England, including 14 in Notts itself and 1 on the doorstep in Derbys.
based on numbers, both favoured home but interestingly froch moreso i guess. the question is: how many dodgy or close decisions and stoppages did the fighters receive in their hometowns? not saying either way but that's the real question
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #15
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i haven't seen last nights fight yet and it may change my mind, but the carl froch from every OTHER fight loses to prime calzaghe.
Nightcrawler is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum