Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #16
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe vs Carl Froch

Discussing home fights in that way is misleading.

The fairest way is to consider the percentages once the world scene had been reached.

How many fights did joe have after eubank and how many in the uk?

How many fights has carl had after pascal and how many in the uk?
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #17
HerolGee
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by trampie View Post
Only 18 of Calzaghes 46 fights was in Wales, including 5 of the first 7 when he was starting off .
25 of Froch's 31 fights have been in England, including 14 in Notts itself and 1 on the doorstep in Derbys.
not world title fights.

you cant reprimand a young fighter cutting back on travel expenses by fightnig on his doorstep, unless you want to cover their air travel to the states. Its called payingthe bills.

But you can criticise a champ for staying in Britain and Wales for nearly all his title fights, its called homebrew winning.
HerolGee is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #18
trampie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Only 3 of Calzaghe's last 9 fights was in Wales, in that time he fought a German in Germany and his last 2 fights were against Americans in the US.
trampie is online now  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #19
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Calzaghe would have outclassed Froch. I'm coming off watching Calzaghe-Lacy, Kessler and Jones..I'm more impressed with him each time..it would have been easy for JC over Froch IMO.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #20
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
It was close.

When Calzaghe fought Kessler, the battle of the jabs was not close. Joe dogged him.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #21
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
Calzaghe would have outclassed Froch. I'm coming off watching Calzaghe-Lacy, Kessler and Jones..I'm more impressed with him each time..it would have been easy for JC over Froch IMO.
This...Froch impressed yesterday though.But have always thought highly of Calzaghe.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #22
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
****ed up as it is, he was probably SLIGHTLY past best for lacy and definitely for kessler and jones. i hate calzaghe but having to respect his talent
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #23
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by trampie View Post
Only 3 of Calzaghe's last 9 fights was in Wales, in that time he fought a German in Germany and his last 2 fights were against Americans in the US.
3 of his last 9 were outside the uk. How many of carl's last 9 were outside the uk?
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #24
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

Froch's reach ,and ja would nuetralize Joe's speed ..And honestly could Joe have hurt Carl ? Anyone see how he just walked through Bute's punches .There is a reason Joe wanted none of the Cobra !
Imperial1 is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #25
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666

Calzaghe fought plenty of times in England, it's where he beat Woodhall, Eubank and Reid.

Calzaghe was made for 15 round fights, Froch has great stamina as well, so I don't think either guy is significantly weakening down the stretch,

To people who say that Froch would walk through Calzaghe slaps, ask yourself this, why couldn't 46 professional boxers? Including champions and former champions? A lot of Joe's flurries looked like pitter patter, but he had good power and would mix a couple of power punches in there to deter his opponent. He couldn't commit to many of his punches due to his hands, but prime Calzaghe on a night where his hands aren't injured, and don't get injured can hurt Froch. Calzaghe has the greater speed, jab, boxing skills. Both have iron chins, so I don't see a stoppage.

Calzaghe will outland Froch in exchanges, in fact by engaging Calzaghe, Carl is playing into his hands, Joe will outland, hit him and spin off, hit him and spin off. Calzaghe will land his straight left more than Carl will land his straight right, and Joe will win the battle of the jabs. Carl will be game throughout, and may even hurt Joe once or twice, but nothing serious. Overall, I see Calzaghe winning a 9-3 type decision against a game and spirited Carl Froch, in a thrilling fight.
knockout artist is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #26
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
Calzaghe fought plenty of times in England, it's where he beat Woodhall, Eubank and Reid.

Calzaghe was made for 15 round fights, Froch has great stamina as well, so I don't think either guy is significantly weakening down the stretch,

To people who say that Froch would walk through Calzaghe slaps, ask yourself this, why couldn't 46 professional boxers? Including champions and former champions? A lot of Joe's flurries looked like pitter patter, but he had good power and would mix a couple of power punches in there to deter his opponent. He couldn't commit to many of his punches due to his hands, but prime Calzaghe on a night where his hands aren't injured, and don't get injured can hurt Froch. Calzaghe has the greater speed, jab, boxing skills. Both have iron chins, so I don't see a stoppage.

Calzaghe will outland Froch in exchanges, in fact by engaging Calzaghe, Carl is playing into his hands, Joe will outland, hit him and spin off, hit him and spin off. Calzaghe will land his straight left more than Carl will land his straight right, and Joe will win the battle of the jabs. Carl will be game throughout, and may even hurt Joe once or twice, but nothing serious. Overall, I see Calzaghe winning a 9-3 type decision against a game and spirited Carl Froch, in a thrilling fight.

Didn't you pick Bute to win due to his speed and power
Old 05-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #27
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I was impressed also by Calzaghe's performance vs Chris Eubank...he was cat quick in that fight. He would have made Froch look ordinary and would have shut up his beautiful but annoying girlfriend quite effectively.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #28
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think both guys would have handled 15 rounds rather well, especially Calzaghe. He would have finished the fight as strong as he was in the 1st round.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #29
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
I was impressed also by Calzaghe's performance vs Chris Eubank...he was cat quick in that fight. He would have made Froch look ordinary and would have shut up his beautiful but annoying girlfriend quite effectively.

A Eubank that was a shell of his former self yeah wonder how that Joe fairs against a prime Froch !
Old 05-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #30
kmac
On permanent vacation
ESB Addict

vCash: 683

prime for prime, calzaghe is the favorite here but i think froch's style might give joe fits. carl takes a great punch and i think his jab could trouble joe. in the end, joe is a faster and more skilled fighter and wins by close ud.

why not see this fight now? joe's only 40. he took very little punishment in his career for someone that had 46 fights. joe gets credited for an atg win over 43 yr old bhop so if you go by that, joe's still relatively young.
kmac is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum