boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #31
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,657
vCash: 75
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe vs Carl Froch

If Cazlaghe came back now, he'd get pasted by Froch. He's been partying it up and living the good live. Boxing at the elite level isn't nearly so forgiving.
Shake is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #32
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 23,048
vCash: 75
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe vs Carl Froch

The reason noone else walked through joe is because he only fought one pressure fighter and that was a guy who had previously injured his left shoulder and from that injury on has barely deserved to win a round against anyone.

Everyone else has tried boxing him by timing his slaps. A guy with fabulous conditioning who throws a grand a fight is gonna be hard to time unless you're an exceptional athlete. He needs to be wore down and froch might just be the only smw who could wear him down in such a manner.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #33
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,966
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe vs Carl Froch

I love Froch, a true warrior.

However, Calzaghe was too fast, too mentally strong and just too good. His pace, timing, absolute control of distance would see Froch getting peppered all night long.

I hate to say it, but Joe was a master. And there haven't been a lot of those.
Seamus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #34
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 23,048
vCash: 75
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe vs Carl Froch

I don't credit joe with beating hopkins because I don't think he did.

I certainly wouldn't credit froch with beating joe now because a fat 40 year old coke is what he is now, not a great fighter.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #35
trampie
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,114
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe vs Carl Froch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1 View Post
Froch's reach ,and ja would nuetralize Joe's speed ..And honestly could Joe have hurt Carl ? Anyone see how he just walked through Bute's punches .There is a reason Joe wanted none of the Cobra !
Joe wanted none of the Cobra you say ! , Joe had bigger fish to fry than somebody just coming through the ranks, you obviously think Froch is ducking Nathan Cleverly ?
trampie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:52 PM   #36
Iron Fist Joe
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe vs Carl Froch

Froch has too many intangibles for Joe to deal with.

10:5 comfortable decision, or a more than possible late stoppage of a Joe who has been hurt several times in fights.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #37
Iron Fist Joe
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe vs Carl Froch

Froch has too many intangibles for Joe to deal with.

10:5 comfortable decision, or a more than possible late stoppage of a Joe who has been hurt several times in fights.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #38
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,966
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe vs Carl Froch

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
I don't credit joe with beating hopkins because I don't think he did.

I certainly wouldn't credit froch with beating joe now because a fat 40 year old coke is what he is now, not a great fighter.
No, Joe wouldn't beat him now. He's enjoying the fruits of a great career.

And myself, Emanuel Steward, Max Kellerman, Harold Lederman and all sensible observers saw Joe rather emphatically beat Hopkins. Even Kellerman, a noted and unapologetic Hopkins homer, from ringside noted that after the 10th the fight wasn't even close.
Seamus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #39
trampie
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,114
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe vs Carl Froch

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
I don't credit joe with beating hopkins because I don't think he did.

I certainly wouldn't credit froch with beating joe now because a fat 40 year old coke is what he is now, not a great fighter.
Calzaghe beat Hopkins 116-111 and 115-112 on the judges scorecards.
trampie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #40
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 40,460
vCash: 75
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe vs Carl Froch

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
It was close.

When Calzaghe fought Kessler, the battle of the jabs was not close. Joe dogged him.
Kessler tried to jab with Froch far less. He recognised early he'd be better off disrupting Froch's rhythm and just punching with him, far removed from his usual robotic mid-range generalship.

Calzaghe all wrong for Froch but both would be quality same day weigh in 15 round fighting light heavys. Carl Froch, of course, makes it interesting. Joe was quicker, can take Froch's shot, had very unorthodox movement and positioning and would make adjustments to combat Froch's different looks.

Neither have the greatest punching form. Calzaghe, 10-5/9-6 type decision in a battle for the ages with nice ebb and flow, but Calzaghe being more well-equipped and a little too sharp for The Cobra.

Bute and Calzaghe, other than being southpaws with an awkward twist, are not comparable stylistically IMO.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #41
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 23,048
vCash: 75
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe vs Carl Froch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
No, Joe wouldn't beat him now. He's enjoying the fruits of a great career.

And myself, Emanuel Steward, Max Kellerman, Harold Lederman and all sensible observers saw Joe rather emphatically beat Hopkins. Even Kellerman, a noted and unapologetic Hopkins homer, from ringside noted that after the 10th the fight wasn't even close.
I saw hopkins win 7 rounds, maybe 6 at a push. He was landing by far the cleaner punches. Slaps on gloves don't count for me.

If it makes you feel better to side with steward, kellerman and lederman than do so. Personally, i'm my own man.

I call a fight how I see it and make judgements based upon my own opinions.

I think the horse ****ogy would apply well to you my good friend (i assume you know what I mean by that, please don't let me down )
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #42
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 23,048
vCash: 75
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe vs Carl Froch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Kessler tried to jab with Froch far less. He recognised early he'd be better off disrupting Froch's rhythm and just punching with him, far removed from his usual robotic mid-range generalship.

Calzaghe all wrong for Froch but both would be quality same day weigh in 15 round fighting light heavys. Carl Froch, of course, makes it interesting. Joe was quicker, can take Froch's shot, had very unorthodox movement and positioning and would make adjustments to combat Froch's different looks.

Neither have the greatest punching form. Calzaghe, 10-5/9-6 type decision in a battle for the ages with nice ebb and flow, but Calzaghe being more well-equipped and a little too sharp for The Cobra.

Bute and Calzaghe, other than being southpaws with an awkward twist, are not comparable stylistically IMO.
I disagree with your second paragraph. I think the opposite actually.

The final paragraph I do agree with.

Bute is a boxer puncher who is mentally weak.

Joe is a volume puncher who utilises grade a footwork to keep his opponent off balance, conversely he absolutely is mentally strong and was not scared of having a good tear up.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #43
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 40,460
vCash: 75
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe vs Carl Froch

What don't you agree with?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #44
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 23,048
vCash: 75
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe vs Carl Froch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
What don't you agree with?
That calz is all wrong for froch. The only people that are all wrong for froch, imo, are superior athletes who utilise a slick defence and razor quick sharp punching combined with a willingness to take the back foot at times.

I think carl might lose the first couple of rounds by being outlanded but at some point he'll get joe on the ropes and land big shots. I see the fight following that pattern with the two exchanging rounds but carl taking the stretch due to accumulation. Once carl realises he can take joe's punches he'll take more risks and I see them paying off more often than not.

So conversely I think joe is all right for carl. He'll stand and trade as a matter of pride and that will ultimately cost him. Carl is too big a puncher to lose exchanges with joe of that matter.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #45
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 40,460
vCash: 75
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe vs Carl Froch

Joe will just lay against the ropes getting battered presumably?

Froch isn't that good that I'd only envision one type of fighter beating him. Especially as Ward handcuffed him on the inside and was faster, Kessler putpunched him and Dirrell made him even floppies than usual admittedly at the extent of effectively shutting down his own offence.

Froch is a throwback, and my favourite active fighter. But he's not that hard to figure out.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015