Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #31
Abdullah
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Ali knocking out Foreman greatest moment in boxing history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
Bobby Czyz ridiculing Roldan for quiting over facial damage, saying hed rather die.

Then quitting because of facial damage.

LOL. He quit because his eyes were burning. But yeah, he'd rather die!
Abdullah is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #32
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Personally, Jack Johnsin beating Jeffries is my greatest moment, however there is so much of boxing for me still to explore.

FTR I'm not black
Webbiano is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2012, 06:35 AM   #33
A.J.
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwalshs View Post
I would venture a guess that not too many people would rate this moment as anywhere near the greatest moment in sports history. I would go out on a limb and predict that not too many would list this as the greatest moment in boxing history either.

It may not even be the greatest moment in Ali's history. I'm sure some rate his victory over Liston in 1964 an even greater feat. I do think Ali's win over Foreman trumps his draw with Inoki though.
Exactly.

Please someone show me any published source with Ali-Foreman being listed as "A" great moment in sports history AT ALL.

Ali-Frazier #1, yes. Ali-Foreman, no. I believe, however, that Ali rated this as his favorite victory, but he did so publicly right after it happened-- thus not exactly with hindsight over his entire career, and also it was in the excitement of the moment, it would seem.

The premise for this thread in the very first post is simply pure misinformation. Garbage in, garbage out, and all that . . .
A.J. is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2012, 06:37 AM   #34
A.J.
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf-Bat View Post
Who exactly? I need names so I know who to cross off my list of "experts".

Nobody was referring to this as anything even close to the greatest BOXING moment in history(let alone sports moment) until "When We Were Kings" came out. That documentary changed the way people perceive this fight today, much in the way "Raging Bull" changed the view on Jake LaMotta. But these films shouldn't be allowed to rewrite history. "When We Were Kings" inflated the significance of The Rumble in the Jungle.

Ali-Foreman was a great moment, sure. "Greatest"? Nonsense.
How true all of this is!
A.J. is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2012, 07:10 AM   #35
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I wouldn't call it the greatest but it's def. up there not only cos an over the hill Ali KO'd him and cos Foreman destroyed the two opponents who beat Ali in 2 rounds a piece but i reckon the way he did it. Laying on the ropes, constantly whispering in Foreman's ear "Is that all you got?" and all that it's something you'd see in a movie.

Schmeling - Louis 2 and Johnson - Jeffries had HUGE political and social implications and they way they played out especially the former was amazing.

Marciano putting his name in the history books with a single punch and being the only undefeated heavyweight champ in history.

And anyway I thought most yanks thought that when their ice hockey team beat the soviets that it was the greatest moment in sports history.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #36
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapMaxie View Post
I wouldn't call it the greatest but it's def. up there not only cos an over the hill Ali KO'd him and cos Foreman destroyed the two opponents who beat Ali in 2 rounds a piece but i reckon the way he did it. Laying on the ropes, constantly whispering in Foreman's ear "Is that all you got?" and all that it's something you'd see in a movie.

Schmeling - Louis 2 and Johnson - Jeffries had HUGE political and social implications and they way they played out especially the former was amazing.

Marciano putting his name in the history books with a single punch and being the only undefeated heavyweight champ in history.

And anyway I thought most yanks thought that when their ice hockey team beat the soviets that it was the greatest moment in sports history.
Oh yes ! Muhammad beat George in exactly the way he was n't supposed to be able to do.

Superb.
Stevie G is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum