Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 05-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #61
theboy_racer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Carl Froch V Nigel Benn

Eubank / Froch would be a war, think Eubank would win a decision, Froch's will would have him seeing the final bell but Eubank is the better fighter.

Probably would favour Froch over Benn, but hard to say really.
theboy_racer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #62
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw21 View Post
i like froch but this is ridiculous,

and too bring up the watson fight as a example of why benn would lose to froch is even worse. watson was a class operator and one of the best technical fighters that britain had and nigel benn improved vastly after that defeat.

Benn was not a slow starter and would have leapt on froch as soon as the 1st bell went, carl froch's left hand low, slow footwork would have caused him to eat nigels right hand all night, no real head movement from froch either, where as nigel ducked, bobbed and weaved. he was square on alot on saturday night great performance but hes not beating benn.

and people questioning benns heart and mental toughness..... really. the man was a warrior and at his best when hurt.

froch combination punching is untidy and not fluid, and froch is uppercut in my opinion is incorrect... one of the best uppercuts i have ever seen from a british suppermiddleweight is james cook perfect short and powerful uppercut.

the dark destroyer wins this one for me!

how would watson v froch have gone?
Good post.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #63
SnoopyboyM
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Too close to call imo Benn was faster the more explosive boxer but you can also make a case for a Froch win
SnoopyboyM is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #64
Hattons Hook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApatheticLeader View Post

Hell to the no.

168 Benn did NOT have massive power. Hell, Bute is a bigger puncher than Benn at the weight by a distance - Frankly, if you ignore the anomaly that was the McClellan fight, Benn was not in Froch's class.

Hattons Hook is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #65
HerolGee
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Benn on his day would badly beat up but not stop Froch.

Froch would take the rematch though, he bounces back twice as good, whereas Benn either lost his animal edge, or got more technical and paced and would get outmuscled by Froch.
HerolGee is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #66
widdy
lancs,where real men live
ESB Addict

Quote:

and too bring up the watson fight as a example of why benn would lose to froch is even worse. watson was a class operator and one of the best technical fighters that britain had and nigel benn improved vastly after that defeat.

Benn was not a slow starter and would have leapt on froch as soon as the 1st bell went, carl froch's left hand low, slow footwork would have caused him to eat nigels right hand all night, no real head movement from froch either, where as nigel ducked, bobbed and weaved. he was square on alot on saturday night great performance but hes not beating benn.

and people questioning benns heart and mental toughness..... really. the man was a warrior and at his best when hurt.

froch combination punching is untidy and not fluid, and froch is uppercut in my opinion is incorrect... one of the best uppercuts i have ever seen from a british suppermiddleweight is james cook perfect short and powerful uppercut.

widdy is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #67
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Benn wasn't much of a puncher at 168, Froch has an excellent chin. The guys who have bothered him most have been boxers. Benn, ferocious as he was, could be outboxed and Carl has enough in the toolbox to do it.

Sorry, he'd beat Benn in a close, fantastic fight.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #68
mattress
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1618

Froch beats the untested/unproven/guarded Bute and suddenly people think he's SRR! Get a grip FFS. He's good but extremely limited. Some here have mocked Benn's punch resistance whereas Froch was dumped on his ass by Taylor and serious shaken in his 'win' against Dirrell.

Froch's lack of head movement would allow Benn to land bombs all night long. Benn by KO.
mattress is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #69
Olu G. Rotimi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
You people are a joke.
You people! What does that mean? I love both guys I just think in this style match up and having watched a lot of both guys at their peak I would favor Benn to prevail both at their peak. Benn would declare war and Froch will oblige.
Olu G. Rotimi is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #70
ApatheticLeader
is bringing ***y back.
East Side Guru

vCash: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by widdy View Post

i just want to see this version of nigel benn you are portraying,the chap who is upright,no head movment,no straight punching,no power,no inside work,come on,post a video of this chap.

(and don't go posting a vid of nicky piper,i will know the difference,benn had a beard)
I'll take back the defence comment. Benn's defence was probably better than Froch's until he gets tired and sloppy, which is the problem with using such exaggerated head movement. He can still be easily controlled by a top jab, but Froch doesn't have that.

As for the rest. Pick a Benn fight. Any Benn fight at 168.

Exhibit A:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjdex3JLniw[/ame]

No combination punching to be seen. Good head movement, as always, but does very little out of a clinch. Very few straight punches, and he's actually getting bulled backwards by Piper, which wouldn't bode well against Froch. He catches Piper (not the most durable of men) flush on several occasion, and only eventually stops him via accumulative punishment.

Then again, Piper was a tall fighter, and it can be hard to fire technically correct punches against taller guys. So....

Exhibit B:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8F3OKZhZpU&feature=related[/ame]

Look, I'm not even going to say much about this clip, other than there is no way in hell that fighter beats Froch.

None.
ApatheticLeader is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #71
ApatheticLeader
is bringing ***y back.
East Side Guru

Quote:

I have Watson winning that via a close but clear UD.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #72
Doppleganger
Il Genio
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 800

Hi.

Benn was really pushing himself at 168. Ideally he would have stayed at middleweight as that suited him much better. Benn is 5 9 and at 168 he is fighting naturally bigger guys for the most part. Froch is 6 1 for example. I don't think Benn would hang with Froch at 168. That doesn't make him a poorer fighter - Benn at 160 is a better fighter than Froch at 168. I just believe that Froch is too strong and tough at the weight for Benn to deal with. Benn doesn't have the power to stop Froch at 168 and Benn, who never had the best of chins, would not take multiple power punches from Froch.

I like Benn much better as a fighter (who doesn't love the Dark Destroyer?) but this is not a good match-up for him.
Doppleganger is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #73
ApatheticLeader
is bringing ***y back.
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Hi.

Benn was really pushing himself at 168. Ideally he would have stayed at middleweight as that suited him much better. Benn is 5 9 and at 168 he is fighting naturally bigger guys for the most part. Froch is 6 1 for example. I don't think Benn would hang with Froch at 168. That doesn't make him a poorer fighter - Benn at 160 is a better fighter than Froch at 168. I just believe that Froch is too strong and tough at the weight for Benn to deal with. Benn doesn't have the power to stop Froch at 168 and Benn, who never had the best of chins, would not take multiple power punches from Froch.

I like Benn much better as a fighter (who doesn't love the Dark Destroyer?) but this is not a good match-up for him.
No he's not
Old 05-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #74
Doppleganger
Il Genio
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 800

Quote:
No he's not
Fair enough pal. You disagree - no problem with that mate. Presumably you agree with me though that Froch beats Benn at 168, seeing as you made no comment regarding the rest of my post.
Doppleganger is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #75
Threetime no1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1537

Hard to pick but i'll edge with Benn in a fight that would go the distance. Benn would have less trouble landing on Froch than Carl would on him due to Benn's upper-body and head movement, plus Benn was faster.

Yeah Benn wasn't a great boxer but he was savvy enough at sm and done a decent job in self preservation. I think the way he lands one or two and then falls into a clinch would work well against Froch and ultimately frustrate The Cobra because Carl would'nt being be able to land has much as he would want.

Froch will definitely have his moments of ascendancy in the fight simply down to his will to win and i can see him rocking Benn a few times (it's a Benn fight after all) and having him pinned on the ropes, but Benn's speed and self preservation tactics of landing and clinching will win him the fight overall imo. While Benn wasn't the puncher he was at mw he would still hit Froch as hard as anyone Carl as faced up to now.

Love both guys but Benn for me. Bute is no Nigel Benn btw, just to get that in.

ps. ApatheticLeader using the Watson defeat to highlight Benn having poor stamina is laughable, he obviously doesn't like Benn and his views on him are clouded.

Last edited by Threetime no1; 05-29-2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: errors
Threetime no1 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum