Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 05-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default When it rains, it pours

I should be sitting here writing about Carl Froch’s career best performance in Nottingham on Saturday night. I should be writing about how ‘The Cobra’ yet again threw the form book and the bookies’ odds out the window as he dominated the previously unbeaten IBF Super Middleweight Champion Lucian Bute, before stopping him in five brutal rounds. I could even be writing about Northern Ireland’s Carl Frampton, and the ease in which he stepped up in class against an unbeaten Mexican. But I’m not. And do you know why? Because sometimes it is just too damn hard being boxing fan. Actually, scrap that. Sometimes it is too damn emotional being a boxing fan. Not only do we have to put up with dubious hometown decisions and the collapse of super-fights on a monthly basis, but we also have to come to terms with tragedies that seem to engulf our beloved sport all too often.

Terry Spinks, Joe Frazier, Henry Cooper and Gary Mason are just some of the names who are sadly no longer with us. While the families and close friends of those involved have undoubtedly been hit hardest by these deaths, we followers of the noble art also become emotionally attached to our favourite pugilists. We may not know them directly; perhaps we have never even seen them in the flesh, but an unbreakable bond has been formed between boxer and fan alike, a bond built on respect.

As I awoke this morning, however, I read the news that Johnny Tapia had been found dead at this home in Albuquerque, New Mexico by his wife Teresa. He was aged just 45. The unbreakable bond had been shattered once more. This, unfortunately, came at no real surprise to Tapia’s adoring fans. In fact, Tapia had actually been pronounced dead on four different occasions. In a life which consisted of the murder of both of his parents, addiction to narcotics, five world championships in three weight divisions, and the odd suicide attempt, Tapia will go down in folklore as one of the most exciting, if not troubled, boxers of his generation.

While that story may not have shocked us fans to the core, the news which came just a few hours ago did send a sickening shiver down my spine. It was the news that Paul ‘The Punisher’ Williams had been severely injured in a motorcycle accident just outside of Atlanta. As the news broke, Williams’ manager George Peterson told one boxing website that the Punisher will have emergency surgery on Wednesday to stable the upper half of his spine. At this early stage, however, it looks as though Williams will be permanently paralysed from the waist down. The South Carolina resident, who has amassed a record of 41-2, has seen his hopes of fighting Mexican Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez dashed. But more importantly, a healthy 30 year old may now never walk again.

As fans, all we can do is wish Paul Williams a speedy recovery, and pray that the miracle that is modern-day medicine will one day allow the Punisher to walk again.

Sometimes it is too damn emotional being a boxing fan.

Feel free to add any tribute videos / highlights of Tapia or Williams. I'm absolutely gutted!
Vano-Irons is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
Bajingo
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1479
Default Re: When it rains, it pours

Fantastic writing

I'm still in shock, especially about Paul. Just horrible.
Bajingo is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Great read Vano, being a boxing fan will always be emotional, so many highs and lows.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

Cheers lads.

I'm honestly gutted, I really am!
Old 05-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
Arnie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajingo View Post
Fantastic writing

I'm still in shock, especially about Paul. Just horrible.
Arnie is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
Bajingo
Champion
East Side Guru

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QxjmnsEf0M&sns=em[/ame]
Bajingo is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999

Thai fighter Thangthong Kiattaweesuk also passed away two days ago. He was unbeaten and had just won an IBF title eliminator a week previously. The tragic accident also resulted in his wife and two nephews dying, whilst his two daughters are currently recovering from serious injuries.

Outside the ring, the past 48 hours or so has been a very painful time for boxing fans.

R.I.P. to Tapia and Kiattaweesuk, and I wish Williams and all the families - especially Kiattaweesuk's daughters - that have been affected by these tragedies all the best for the future.
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

Great video Baj. Sums Tapia up perfectly. I'll try post a few more clips tomorrow, but I'm on the iPhone at the minute.

Kos, wow I had no idea! RIP. horrible few days
Old 05-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
12downfor10
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 206

****ing hate times like these. Tapia dying (even though it wasn't totally shocking, given his hard life) really got me, when I first properly started watching boxing 5 years ago I stumbled on the ayala fights on youtube whilst bored in college and loved them. I've always had a fondness for him because of that, which only grew stronger when I learned his life story. Rip to a true, balls out warrior and a fighter in and out the ring. Hope he's at peace now.
Terrible news about williams too, maybe his prime was behind him but I feel he still had something to give the sport. I hope it's not as bad as feared.

12downfor10 is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
KidJackal
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2323

That's spot on man, devastating time for boxing

RIP Tapia and hope Williams all the best
KidJackal is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #11
Roddy Collins
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

**** only finding out about williams now, shit news!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzsa6WjZXGQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzsa6WjZXGQ[/ame]
Roddy Collins is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #12
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Things like this really affect me, boxing is probably my biggest passion in life, as I'm sure it is for a lot of people here. When we suffer tragedy it really does leave me solemn for some time.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #13
Little Tyson
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1284

Seems akin, sadly to say when Arguello, Forrest and Gatti all passed within only a few weeks between each other. There is no emotional sport like boxing. With football you love your team these teams will change as players, chairman, kits, stadia all differ throughout decades. With boxing, it just feels like we have a strange connection to these folk, Im not sure what kind of connection I'm trying to make as I love both sports and love my team more than anything. Though roaring on a man, wether it be a favourite through style or were they are from, in the most intimidating sporting arena there is can leave us vulnerable to whatever happens - a shock KO, a shit decision, but the jubilation when they have finally come over and all they have done, gives ourselves a sense of pride, one which seen by so many including myself and many others at the Trent FM arena and at home only a few days ago. The road doesn't end when a boxer has retired neither. The legacy they leave no matter how small or big will always be respected due to them stepping up and lacing the gloves in the hardest rawest sport there is.

R.I.P Tapia.

#Prayforwilliams

Fantastic post OP.
Little Tyson is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #14
chatty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1419

Its been a bad day but still it could have been worse. Williams is lucky to still be alive so over all although its tragic, the fact is that he has been given a second chance of life, a fate some are not given the privilege of. We have a sad loss of Tapia as well which makes it a bad day but instead of 2 deaths we should be celebrating the fact that we have been spared one.

Maybes its just me being optimistic but the way I see things is that its always better to llok on the bright side instead of the gloom.
chatty is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 05:43 AM   #15
Bajingo
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatty View Post
Its been a bad day but still it could have been worse. Williams is lucky to still be alive so over all although its tragic, the fact is that he has been given a second chance of life, a fate some are not given the privilege of. We have a sad loss of Tapia as well which makes it a bad day but instead of 2 deaths we should be celebrating the fact that we have been spared one.

Maybes its just me being optimistic but the way I see things is that its always better to llok on the bright side instead of the gloom.
That's a good way of looking at it but it's still absolutely devastating, not just his boxing career being over but his whole life has been compromised. The fact he seems in good spirits is some comfort.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov7G3BOnGcI[/ame]

Awful about Thangthong Kiattaweesuk as well, just days ago he got his biggest win and was in line for a world title shot and now he's dead. Really puts things into perspective.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0t0NkrFY7w[/ame]

Last edited by Bajingo; 05-29-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Bajingo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum